OFF TOPIC: Why does my DS5's hernia keep coming back??!!

jubelee1872000

Mouseketeer
I am freaking out. My DS4 (just turned 5 in sep), has inguinal hernia repair surgery in January, and when we went in for his check up, they said a "new" hernia was there. He had to have ANOTHER surgery in April. I am now, feeling and seeing a bulge there again. It is just right of his *****. How many surgeries can he go through?! It is so hard on him and us! I'm sorry for the whining, it is just so stressful thinking about my baby boy being repeatedly put to sleep, cut open, risk of infection, risk of complications, damage to his nerves, risking his future fertility, I can't take it!! I called the doctor and asked if it should still be tender at all, they said possibly due to the fact that there have been two surgeries close together that it still could be. Obviously his muscles there is just NOT strong enough to hold the stitching. The doctor said that they do not use mesh in children because it doesn't work that well because they are growing so fast. Ok, some other technique obviously needs to be used to fix my poor baby. What they heck is it gonna take for it to stop coming back?! I want to take him back to the same surgeon just so I can say SEEEEE it is still there! Why?! And then just go somewhere else. I really thought that he was the best for DS because he is out of Children's Hospital and he is a pediatric surgeon. The only other choices that I had under insurance were general surgeons who work with adults too..Idk what to do..not to mention the cost! We haven't even finished paying off the first and second surgeries! Maybe I need to start drinking or something..?

As you noted in this thread's title, this subject is off topic for the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board. I have moved the thread to the Community Board.

I can only imagine the stress and worry you must be feeling. I don't have any suggestions other than maybe seek a second opinion. Praying for your DS and family --- may he heal and everything be fine.

Your poor baby! (said seriously!) Who can blame you for being so upset?

Did the surgeon mention that this might be a possibility of happening when he went in for the check up?

I think I agree with you. I would go to the surgeon and show him what is going on and say I really think I need to find someone who can help my child.

Sending good thought of healing.

My DH had hernia surgery. Three months later it was back. We consulted two other surgeons and while neither would outright blame the first surgeon, they both agreed that there is less than a 1% chance that a hernia would come back in the same spot, and a .01% chance that it would come back in such a short period of time. Personally, I'd get a second opinion. Obviously, it might be different for a little kid than an adult so maybe this is "normal" for that age, but I would still get another opinion. Good luck! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter