Off the Disney path, but anyone know how much sylvan learning costs?

livinfreeinaz

Earning My Ears
Hi there,

We are looking at putting our daughter in Sylvan Learning for the summer to get her where she needs to be for the 9th grade, only in math. Does anyone know how much it is?

TIA

livinfreeinaz :rolleyes1

its expensive. I don't remember the exact cost, but we found better help for less money using our local college. Have you asked her teacher for recomendations? Good luck!

I looked into it a couple of years ago and it was about $45 hour. I found a private tutor for $25 and it worked out great. We got the specialized individual attention we needed. A lot of teachers will tutor during the summer for extra money, especially if you have a flexible schedule.

Our daughter has a learning disability and our son has needed help as well this year. We were told by many teachers and even the principle that Sylvan would cost a lot. We have one teacher who tutors in the summer for extra money and she always saves us a spot. She charges us 20 an hour.

Right now my son is working iwth a private tutor 2 days a week for reading. She charges 30 per hour but has a specialized reading program she uses and she is doing wonders.

Check with your local schools, I guarantee if the teachers dont want to do it they can recommend a private tutor who wont charge as much.

I have also not heard good things about big companies like Sylvan. I agree that going through your school, local college, or community board might be a better option.

I have heard that Sylvan requires you to sign a contract, so even if you are not happy you are stuck for a period of time. They have got to charge a lot to cover all of their advertising expenses.

You may be able to get a tutor from your district for free especially if your child has an IEP (individualized instruction plan). Some districts have summer school that is set up for kids that don't meet the standards but do not have an IEP because of the "no child left behind act". Ask your district reading teacher for suggestions and try to find out what the school can offer you. Keep reminding them of the "no child left behind act" and see if they offer you something.

We are also consider getting our daughter extra help in math this summer. She is in the enhanced class but just hates math.

Our school district;s math program is heavy on applied concepts, word problems and little tricks for understand the basics. I think this is great but feel that math also needs a drill and speed approach. From what I understand this is what Kumon offers. The students go to the center 2 - 3 times a week and have 20min of homework a night.

they do not focus on what your child is learning in school but begin from the beginning and work with drills to mastery before moving on.

If you have a center in your area in may be worth a look. It is $90 - $100 a month here in S. Jersey.

"I have heard that Sylvan requires you to sign a contract, so even if you are not happy you are stuck for a period of time"

I work at a SLC and this is not true for the ones in this area anyway. You are required to sign a form but that is saying that you understand the policies. All you have to give is a 2 week written notice and you are done.

We charge $49 per hour if you pay monthly and $44 if you prepay the program. Those rates are set up by the owners of the center, not corporate, unless it is a corporate owned center.

The initial testing is $187 but we run 1/2 off specials all the time, then if you decide to go with the program, there is a $50 registration fee.

livinfreeinaz - I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

As a former teacher and private tutor, I can tell you that Sylvan doesn't pay their teachers much at all, leading me to wonder how many good quality teachers they're fortunate enough to attract (some, I'm sure, but not as many as if they paid better). I'd definitely consider the individual private tutoring situation.

My daughter has been going to Sylvan for almost 10 months. She is behind in Reading and Math. She has been tested by the schools and doesnt qualify for an IEP or help even tho she is right on the border. She is a 7th grader. I have found that Sylvan has helped her, and has given her confidence she hadnt had before. Sometimes she has too much now and doesnt ask for help. Yes it is expensive, but my view was always "if we sent her and it didnt work, atleast we tried" but "what if we didnt send her and it could have helped, then that wasnt fair to her" I didnt want her to have to fail miserably and crush her before she could get help.

I for one think it is worth checking out.

I also think you'd be better off looking for a local teacher. Have you exhausted the resources that are available at your school for free? My dh teaches 9th grade. He is amazed at the parents (who often can't afford it) who will shell out for something like Sylvan, but would never think to have their kids stay after school to work with the teacher one on one for free. They have a period for this built right into the school day and it's amazing how few kids will take advantage of it.

livinfreeinaz said:
Hi there,

We are looking at putting our daughter in Sylvan Learning for the summer to get her where she needs to be for the 9th grade, only in math. Does anyone know how much it is?

TIA

livinfreeinaz :rolleyes1

I usually don't get involved in Sylvan topics, because as a classroom teacher, I feel I am biased. However, if I were you, I would first talk with her junior high/middle school math teacher and find out what her weaknesses are. Does she know her facts- particularly multiplication/division? I see many students who, because they don't know the basic facts, can't move foreward. (Think of trying to read without knowing the alphabet or what sounds the letters stand for.) If she knows her facts, but can't grasp concepts, that requires an entirely different approach. Tutors can be great, but if they are going to use the same program that already isn't working in school, it isn't going to help. I would look for a classroom or remedial teacher who will identify your child's strengths and weaknesses, and then work on a program for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter