Off the Disney Dream 11/11

MinnieMouse64

Mouseketeer
I will try to answer some of the questions I had...

Yes, they still have the burlap beach bag for Castaway Club Members. I really was hoping for something different but ended up liking it because it was a large bag. At the end of our cruise, I learned to hate this bag really quick. When I asked this question, some gentleman stated his wife didn't like it because it stuck to her clothes. Well.....I purchased a Nylon Jacket in the gift shop that cost me $70 due to returning home to 30 degree weather when we got off the airplane. While sitting at the airport I just happened to feel what felt like little balls all down the side of my new jacket, yep, that stupid burlap bag picked the whole side of my brand new jacket. So ladies and gentlemen, if you are wearing anything nylon such as jackets, shirts, pants, or swim wear, beware this bag will ruin your clothes.

The pool water did not feel like it was heated when we were on there, with the exception of the adult pool. On our sea day the pool, seemed closed during most of the afternoon. And when it was open my husband and grandson jumped out as fast as they could, because some dad was yelling at his daughter for peeing in the pool for the 4th time.

Castaway Cay the ocean was cold but there were people still swimming.

The cruise director was Jimmy. Our room host was Conrado. Our head server was Ali, server was Atmaja, and our assistant server was Filippo (he was so nice)but is leaving to go onto the Disney Magic in 2 weeks.

Doctor Strange was the new movie playing on there.

We also heard one of our favorite server was fired, by SEVERAL crew members due to 2 guest comments, plus not receiving excellent's on all of her comment cards. I swear this young lady was so sweet and would have done anything for anyone. When I told my daughter and hubby they both were in shock, and said NO WAY! So YES people these crew members count on our excellent comments on those cards. Even if I don't care for someone, I still give them excellent. One of the crew members told me, that if people mention them on a comment card after so many they get extra hours off (only after I asked what they got if people mention them on a comment card). So people, I know a few of you said there is always room for them to improve and you won't give excellent scores - how would you feel if someone wouldn't give you an excellent score because someone thought there is always room for improvement and caused you to lose your job....just a thought!!! I now understand why the crew members are striving to get excellent scores because their job depends on it!

This was our first Very Merrytime Cruise... the ship was decorated beautiful. The Santa's Ball was awesome in the atrium. They had a snow machine and there was snow flying everywhere. It will get you in the Christmas Spirit, my daughter came home and put up her Christmas tree.

how would you feel if someone wouldn't give you an excellent score because someone thought there is always room for improvement and caused you to lose your job....just a thought!!!

I suspect there's more to the story of why your server got fired.

DCL certainly understands that some guests are lunatics who will moan and complain no matter what, and never be satisfied with anything. I would be amazed if an occasional erstwhile "less-than-excellent" rating would get you canned.

The pool water did not feel like it was heated when we were on there, with the exception of the adult pool. On our sea day the pool, seemed closed during most of the afternoon. And when it was open my husband and grandson jumped out as fast as they could, because some dad was yelling at his daughter for peeing in the pool for the 4th time.
I rather imagine the reason the water seemed to be unheated was due to the time it takes to drain & refill the pools for cleaning. The more often a pool has to be closed for cleaning, the less time there is to heat the water.

Thank the people who let their untrained kids use the pools.

Based on what you said, my heart goes out to the waiter that was fired. They do depend so much on the stupid comment card system Disney has set up, I have much patience with them every time I get the "excellent" speech. One poster here bragged she threatens them with a lower tip if the give that speech, which is so sad. I hope there was more to it than just a couple of comment cards, but I know how much they depend on those comments, and I wish Disney would drop that system today. I love the CMs, every single one of them, and the waiters especially!

One poster here bragged she threatens them with a lower tip if the give that speech, which is so sad.

That's pretty crappy. I don't like listening to the speech either, but like you, I patiently (I think?) put up with it because I believe that the servers are probably required to deliver it. They don't like reciting that spiel any more than we like listening to it.

Last edited:
I suspect there's more to the story of why your server got fired

I would agree to that as well, but the other servers acted as if they were in shock about it too when telling me. One even told me that is why they depend on excellent's on the comment card. I really hope it was more to the story because she was a super sweet girl.

One even told me that is why they depend on excellent's on the comment card.

If we all put nothing but "excellent"s on our surveys all the time out of fear or guilt that we will otherwise cause the server to get fired, then the surveys become meaningless.

If you speak up, even about mild, inadvertent and easily-remedial points of dissatisfaction, you get the poor server fired. If you don't speak up, then you tacitly condone the "less-than-excellent" service you are paying "excellent" prices for, and nothing improves.

If we all put nothing but "excellent"s on our surveys all the time out of fear or guilt that we will otherwise cause the server to get fired, then the surveys become meaningless.

If you speak up, even about mild, inadvertent and easily-remedial points of dissatisfaction, you get the poor server fired. If you don't speak up, then you tacitly condone the "less-than-excellent" service you are paying "excellent" prices for, and nothing improves.
I agree!! But nothing has been that bad for me. Now I will be 100% honest, they ask if I feel the cruise was worth the money I spent, I did NOT give them an excellent rating (but that wasn't saying anything bad about a crew member). With the price increase I did not feel it was worth an excellent rating. I feel with the cost of Disney Cruises (as grandparents -so no kids unless I take them) I can go on any cruise line cheaper than Disney and get better ADULT entertainment. Carnival Cruises now have kid clubs that look just as nice on their newer ships, but I have never seen one personally so before I would say they are as nice as Disney I would have to see one. Shoot last year, we were on a Disney Cruise next to the Carnival Breeze and my almost 4 year old grandson said, "I want to go on that boat". He is almost 5 yrs old now, and honestly he did not enjoy seeing Mickey, but this was his 4th Disney cruise too.

My daughter (adult) always fills out the survey card so what it says is left up to her and I have no idea what she writes on it.

I do agree you should never just automatically put excellent when it wasn't! Nothing is improved that way.

I do remember one cruise when our room steward left the card for us and then insisted we give it back to him instead of
dropping it into the box on the way out. Of course we didn't do that as it could easily be changed by him or discarded if he didn't like
something on it, but in doing so he lost out on an excellent report.

Another incident occurred when coming out of our cabin our room steward, out in the hallway with his supply trolly, asked us to run back in
and get the ice bucket for him to refill. Needless to say we were shocked but didn't let on (didn't go back in either).

Highly praise when you can (which is most of the time) but help everyone by noting need for improvement.

Ali is one of our favorite head servers. Our family had him for a total of 11 nights this past year. he will certainly take care of you !

A real shame about the new jacket, see if shore side guest services can do anything, or at least let them know so they can reconsider when they reorder the next set of bags. I remember I thought I had lost my new while flying a month or so after the cruise, IE left on the plane. Well - no going back through the wrong way in an international terminal in Paris, so I chalked it up to it being a goner. My wife was already scouring eBay for a replacement. Luckily, I found it in a random side pocket of my carry-on. Crisis adverted. So I know the attachment we can have to some of the things we purchase while on board! Good luck

Thank you for sharing. I will definitely remember about the bag and make sure to use the comment card

Yes, they still have the burlap beach bag for Castaway Club Members. I really was hoping for something different but ended up liking it because it was a large bag. At the end of our cruise, I learned to hate this bag really quick. When I asked this question, some gentleman stated his wife didn't like it because it stuck to her clothes. Well.....I purchased a Nylon Jacket in the gift shop that cost me $70 due to returning home to 30 degree weather when we got off the airplane. While sitting at the airport I just happened to feel what felt like little balls all down the side of my new jacket, yep, that stupid burlap bag picked the whole side of my brand new jacket. So ladies and gentlemen, if you are wearing anything nylon such as jackets, shirts, pants, or swim wear, beware this bag will ruin your clothes.

The cruise director was Jimmy. Our room host was Conrado. Our head server was Ali, server was Atmaja, and our assistant server was Filippo (he was so nice)but is leaving to go onto the Disney Magic in 2 weeks.

We also heard one of our favorite server was fired, by SEVERAL crew members due to 2 guest comments, plus not receiving excellent's on all of her comment cards. I swear this young lady was so sweet and would have done anything for anyone. When I told my daughter and hubby they both were in shock, and said NO WAY! So YES people these crew members count on our excellent comments on those cards. Even if I don't care for someone, I still give them excellent. One of the crew members told me, that if people mention them on a comment card after so many they get extra hours off (only after I asked what they got if people mention them on a comment card). So people, I know a few of you said there is always room for them to improve and you won't give excellent scores - how would you feel if someone wouldn't give you an excellent score because someone thought there is always room for improvement and caused you to lose your job....just a thought!!! I now understand why the crew members are striving to get excellent scores because their job depends on it!

This was our first Very Merrytime Cruise... the ship was decorated beautiful. The Santa's Ball was awesome in the atrium. They had a snow machine and there was snow flying everywhere. It will get you in the Christmas Spirit, my daughter came home and put up her Christmas tree.
Thank you for the review. Do you know if your head server as Ali Atar from Turkey? We had him in 2012 but I thought he moved to the fantasy.

I do remember one cruise when our room steward left the card for us and then insisted we give it back to him instead of
dropping it into the box on the way out. Of course we didn't do that as it could easily be changed by him or discarded if he didn't like
something on it, but in doing so he lost out on an excellent report.

Another incident occurred when coming out of our cabin our room steward, out in the hallway with his supply trolly, asked us to run back in
and get the ice bucket for him to refill. Needless to say we were shocked but didn't let on (didn't go back in either).

Both of these points make me sad to read. The poor stateroom host works hours upon hours cleaning up your room and you weren't willing to help him for one second to retrieve an ice bucket? He may have insisted that you give him back the questionnaire to be helpful to you so you didn't have to search out the box. We've had stateroom hosts offer the same. I give him credit.

Both of these points make me sad to read. The poor stateroom host works hours upon hours cleaning up your room and you weren't willing to help him for one second to retrieve an ice bucket? He may have insisted that you give him back the questionnaire to be helpful to you so you didn't have to search out the box. We've had stateroom hosts offer the same. I give him credit.
Agreed. It's a shame how picky and demanding some customers can be, and how uncaring towards those who work hard to serve them.

If this is true, shame on Disney. Manage and evaluate your employees on your own time and dime, don't put the burden of someone losing their job on a stupid comment card filled out by potentially grouchy and entitled vacationers. Don't put your customers in the awkward situation of being begged to give excellent marks (hated that). Don't force me to to do *your* paperwork out of guilt that someone may be fired otherwise. Give your employees positive incentives, not motivation by terror. Jeez.

If this is true, shame on Disney. Manage and evaluate your employees on your own time and dime, don't put the burden of someone losing their job on a stupid comment card filled out by potentially grouchy and entitled vacationers. Don't put your customers in the awkward situation of being begged to give excellent marks (hated that). Don't force me to to do *your* paperwork out of guilt that someone may be fired otherwise. Give your employees positive incentives, not motivation by terror. Jeez.
Unfortunately, you see this a lot in the vacation industries. Not that I agree with it but Disney isn't the only one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter