Off site assistance and encouragement

I would care if the grocery store was expensive or not. When I had h@ll time finding 12 pack coke when I was having caffeine attack want coke could find it. I would have 10.00 dollars for 12 pack coke. If one more restaurant serve Pepsi I would scream.

To save $20 you'd probably have to spend over $500 in total on groceries.
Frothy, I know this isn't true. I've saved $20 by spending way less than that. OP, why not save money if you can ? Why put the extra $10-$20 in Goodings pockets when there are plenty of other much better places close to wdw ? I also don't get gas at certain stations that are close to wdw---why should I pay 10 or 20 cents extra per gallon when there's plenty of cheaper gas stations a mere 5 min away ????

Frothy, not sure what's getting you here, but count me in as one who will drive an extra 10 min so as to not get ripped off by tourist price gouging. I do this at home too with gasoline and food as well. I think as consumers, we can pick and choose when, where and how we choose to spend our money. So it has nothing to do with "not affording to be able to go to disney" or whatever statement you made ???? :sad2: Have a great time PoohHappens !

On our first Disney trip, the kids were pretty young (1&5). We didn't do any of the evening shows or fireworks. Instead, we'd head home, drop the hubbies and kids at the condo to make the kids' dinner, and my sis and I would go to Goodings. They had a GREAT selection of pre-made dinners, which just needed a brief heating in the microwave. They weren't cheap, but we could feed 4 adults dinner for under $30. No leftovers, of course; these were individual, refrigerated meals, but it was nice that we could each choose what we felt like eating- and it was cheaper and faster (with kids in bed earlier!) than if we'd eaten at restaurants every evening.

By the second trip, we'd learned better how to "do" Disney, and the pleasures of the evening shows, parades, and fire works. We stopped at Goodings to buy our condo food- breakfast stuff, park snacks, condo munchie stuff, drinks, etc. We were appalled at the overpricing at Goodings! We use Publix now, on every trip. Of course, we now eat most of our dinners in the wonderful table service restaurants!!

Another good place for take-out is Olive Garden. Call in your order as you leave the parks and it's usually ready by the time you can get there to pick it up. It IS nice to have a relaxing meal "at home" rather than in a restaurant after a long day! (We either bring take-out menus from our home branches of the chain restaurants, or look up their menus on-line).

My family and I stayed off-site the week after Thanksgiving in 06',and 07'.We stayed in Lake Buena Vista on Palm Parkway both times;Extended Stay America Deluxe,and Hawthorne Suites.The rooms cost 79$-89$.Both hotels had a full kitchen with 2 burner stove top,full size fridge,microwave,dishwasher,and utensils and some cookware!!! Each also had 2 Queen beds in the bedroom,and a Queen pull-out sofa.There was also a small table for 4,and 2 TV's.The Wal-Mart was like maybe 4 or 5 miles away,and very easy to find;also Hotel Plaza Blvd(Downtown Disney) was like 5 minutes from these hotels!!!! It was GREAT:woohoo: There were 6 of us both times,and we really had a fantastic vacation!!!This location is probably the best off-site area in my opinion!Go to Orlandoinfo.com and check for Magic card offers for accomadations(it's free to get a Magic card;just print it);if you find somewhere you want to book,call the hotel directly(DO NOT CALL 800#!!!!)and tell them you want the Magi card rate-it's that easy!! Good-Luck,and I hope you and yours have the BEST vacation:goodvibes Also both have free breakfast(continental @ Extended Stay;hot @ Hawthorne).There are also lots of restauarants for every budget in this area!!!!!

You can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen and washer/dryer at Cypress Pointe for just under $600 for the week of Thanksgiving, including tax. Very close to Disney and close to stores and restaurants too. The property gets very good reviews.

Well that's told me. Next we'll be seeing threads over whether to buy brand names or publix own. A good use of the forum no doubt. :confused3

For the record, I've found Goodings to be a much nicer place than many of the other supermarkets. There is a better variety and I really haven't found that much difference in cost. And I still maintain that anyone who has to watch their money so much as to be that bothered about where to buy groceries should not be taking a Disney vacation. Just my opinion.

I don't know when the last time you went to Goodings but it is run down. Publix, Winn Dixie or the Super Wal Mart are much better places to go for groceries.

I used to be a big fan of Goodings but no more.

Well that's told me. Next we'll be seeing threads over whether to buy brand names or publix own. A good use of the forum no doubt. :confused3

For the record, I've found Goodings to be a much nicer place than many of the other supermarkets. There is a better variety and I really haven't found that much difference in cost. And I still maintain that anyone who has to watch their money so much as to be that bothered about where to buy groceries should not be taking a Disney vacation. Just my opinion.

you don't happen to have a financial stake it Goodings do you?

Goodings is not a pleasant place to shop - Publix and Walmart are.

Try them. Then come back and say your still prefer Goodings.

My dearest Frothy,I would be more than glad to take some of your extra money off of your hands,being that you have so much that you dont mind paying extra for anything:rolleyes1 By the way,I use coupons and comparison shop for everything!!! I've been to Disney World like 7 times,and even cooked our own dinner most nights!!!Point being,people do what they must-at least they're getting to go to Disney!!!!!

Hi PoohHappens,

My family currently holds annual passes, some years we do, sometimes we don't. The point is over the past 20+ years while raising our four kids we have visited WDW countless times. Our last trip was 3 weeks ago our next will be near Christmas. We have done budget off property trips as well as high end all inclusive on property trips (one as low end as the 6 of us cramming into a nephew's guest bedroom and living room sofa and as high end as AKL and WL). The point is, if someone says, "Want to go?" we just go. So don't worry about the level-just enjoy! I can give you info as to restaurants and shopping in the Lake Buena Vista area (a bit in the Kissimmee and Celebration areas but we dont frequent it as often).

I agree with the posters stating that Goodings has become run down in the past few years. The Publix and the Winn-Dixie are good choices but the Winn-Dixie is not a 24hr location, in fact, I believe it may have recently closed. The Wal-Mart can be reached by heading under the same I-4 Underpass just as beginning instructions for Publix. Continue on about 3? miles and just past the intersection with the south end of International Dr./536 you will encounter a 24hr SuperWal-Mart on the right. If you choose you could continue on just a bit farther 2? miles and you would intersect with 192. If you took a left there you would reach a super Target location in Kissimmee.

We eat at many restaurants off the Apopka-Vineland Rd/535. The DTD restaurants are all great also-there is a new dino themed one if you like that sort of thing but it is incredibly loud! We love the Earl of Sandwhich in downtown. We do lots of the chain restaurants on 535-we like Chevy's, Chilis, Joe's Crabshack, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Giordonno's. My dh loves the Ruby Tuesday's on 192 in Kissimmee. A GPS is a wonderful thing to have in the area! I don't post frequently but since my oldest son lived for two semesters just outside of the DTD gateway I feel like I can certainly help you with that locale. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks all. I think we are getting all plans put together. I have loved all the directions you have offered to the local markets. One question, are the prices at the walmart and target the same as other locations or are they marked up too? We were just surprised one year at a grocery stop for our then little one how much the stuff was marked up. I am of the mind set if I don't have to spend more for the same item why would I. We are staying at Royal Plaza for 7 nights and we have breakfast buffet included for everyone. I think we will be fine here. We are planning to eat at DTD a couple times have 3 ADRs in the parks and will eat counter service for the rest. The only meal we are still trying to figure out for sure is Thanksgiving. I think we will maybe try cracker barrel. DH and I would be fine grabbing a turkey leg in the park and keep going, but mom wants some Turkey day dinner. I have loved all the input here and am really looking forward to our trip. Now I just have to get over the loss of shopping on black friday, but hands down I would still rather be in Disney.:banana:

I had to look to see where you are from and noticed we probably live in very similiarly priced areas-I'm in KY. While ds was living there (not quite 2 yrs ago) we often discussed the similiarity of prices in groceries and gas. While we were there in early Oct of this year, I found most everything to be the same. There is a much bigger selection of items more catered to the tourist industry-ready to eat/deli type packaged foods, souvenier type items etc. I havent been to the Target with the nearest proximity to WDW since ds lived there but at the time it was pretty much the same prices that I was seeing at home. We don't have a Publix close enough here for me to know their prices very well but I have been in this one within the last year and found it reasonable.

By the way if you use the directions that were posted earlier for the Publix, you would see the nearest Cracker Barrell enroute. It is on the left not far beyond the I-4 underpass. If you can get in for a T-day sit down in the parks, I would probably opt for that. We really enjoy the Christmas/eve dinners that most of the sitdowns do and don't find them much more expensive than the off properties but as I was on the phone with DDining today, I know it would take some luck! If not there are plenty of possibilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter