Off property dining for WDW Vets

Drcell01

Totally Disney Addicited
Being a WDW visitor over 40+ times we are looking for some of the places to eat that we enjoy down in Florida. One of the places is Sweet Tomatoes/Soup Plantation. We love this place and according to their website there is a location in Fullerton (about 10 minutes from DL).

Has anyone had any experience with this location? How would you compare it to the locations near WDW?

My daughter's boyfriend also loves BBQ restaurants. We have a great one here in Syracuse (Dinosaur BBQ) and he has his sights on Beachside BBQ in Seal Beach. Anyone have any experience with this restaurant or suggestions for an excellent local BBQ?

The Soup Plantation in Fullerton is nice and on par with the Sweet Tomatoes near WDW.

As far as BBQ, Tulsa Rib Company in Tustin is my favorite. Their boneless short rib is pretty awesome and no knife is necessary. Other BBQ places not as far as Seal Beach are Lucille's (a chain restaurant), Blake's Place in Anaheim, Wood Ranch (another chain and I think the closest location is in Irvine - avoid the location in Anaheim Hills due to traffic), Famous Dave's in Orange.

Love Famous Dave's! So I just looked on their web site, and they don't show a location in Orange. The closest one to DLR that they show is in Long Beach. Are you sure about one in Orange? Is it new, and not on their web site yet?

-Bob

I like Daves, we have it at the office for lunch at least once a week and it is free. I like Ruth Chris, Mortons and Joes Crab Shack. Never been to WDW so I can not make a comparision to what the OP is describing.

Jack

Hands down my favorite restaurant in Anaheim is The Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney. I can't really explain it, but it's my "happy place" away from The Happiest Place. I believe there is one connected to the AK in WDW, so you may know what I'm talking about.

Hands down my favorite restaurant in Anaheim is The Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney. I can't really explain it, but it's my "happy place" away from The Happiest Place. I believe there is one connected to the AK in WDW, so you may know what I'm talking about.

Rain Forest is ok for us but we have one here in Phoenix. They're a national chain so its never a must do on a Disney trip. AK does have one just outside the gates. At WDW DTD there is T-Rex, same owners similar concept but themed with dinos. Both are good food, fun atmosphere.

Farrels Ice Cream Parlor in Brea is now a must do for our Disneyland trip! Mortons Steak House at Harbor & Katella is excellent if you can afford it. Knotts Chicken Diner outsite the gates of Knotts Berry Farm 5 miles from DLR always has their famous and great chicken.

Be sure to check out Captain Kidd's and their delicious buffet!

Kidding. I'm so kidding.

Kidding. I'm so kidding.

We always hit up In N' Out burgers a few times. If we want a sit down air conditioned meal drive up to Red Robin, not the fanciest place but we've never had a bad experience with their food or service.

Love Famous Dave's! So I just looked on their web site, and they don't show a location in Orange. The closest one to DLR that they show is in Long Beach. Are you sure about one in Orange? Is it new, and not on their web site yet?

-Bob

i work in long beach . we go to Famous Daves once a month. A MUST GO especially for a day at the Pike in Long beach

Bubba Gumps try that one too. The atmosphere is fun they have one in Anaheim and Long beach

Farrel's Ice Cream Parlour in Brea!!! I beg you please try this place the servers are soo much fun

Thanks for all of your great suggestions!

Just some more of our background...

We are driving in from Las Vegas so we are doing our over the top dining there so we are really looking for more casual dining options. We are planning on stopping at an In & Out Burger during the drive to Anaheim.

We have been to Mortons many times and Rainforest Cafe is someplace we visit almost everytime we are at WDW (we are rainforest club members).

Looks like we might try Famous Daves...We love Good BBQ.

Thanks again for all of your information..Keep it coming

I worked for Famous Daves in Michigan so I am completely biased how awesome it is , lol. If you go there order the ribs "naked" - you won't be sorry !

I really enjoyed Bubba Gump in GardenWalk when we went about 2 years ago - great portions and drinks were made very well !

You got some great options just wanted to throw in my 2 cents ;)

I like Daves, we have it at the office for lunch at least once a week and it is free. I like Ruth Chris, Mortons and Joes Crab Shack. Never been to WDW so I can not make a comparision to what the OP is describing.

Jack

There is a Red Lobster in Cocoa and many chain restaurants more than I can name,but we always do well at Red Lobster.:)

-JH

Benihana's is on Ball st. a few miles east of Disneyland. Always fun for a family. If you like Teppan Edo at Epcot then you'll love Benihana's. Better food in my opinion!

I second Famous Dave's; we catered from there for my DH's birthday party this year, of course half our guests couldn't make it last minute so we feasted on BBQ for a straight week afterwards. Didn't get tired of it, and were sad to see it go. :goodvibes

My daughter's boyfriend also loves BBQ restaurants. We have a great one here in Syracuse (Dinosaur BBQ) and he has his sights on Beachside BBQ in Seal Beach. Anyone have any experience with this restaurant or suggestions for an excellent local BBQ?

I have a co-worker that lives in Seal Beach, so I asked him about Beachside BBQ. He said he's never heard of it. He thinks you mean Beachwood BBQ. He likes Beachwood, but he says it's small and loud. More like a beach town pub than restaurant. Depending on when you go, there could be long waits. He said it's the type of place you go for the atmosphere and beer. He said the food is good, but he's had better. He also said the Long Beach location is bigger, but doesn't have the same atmosphere.

Being a WDW visitor over 40+ times we are looking for some of the places to eat that we enjoy down in Florida. One of the places is Sweet Tomatoes/Soup Plantation. We love this place and according to their website there is a location in Fullerton (about 10 minutes from DL).

Has anyone had any experience with this location? How would you compare it to the locations near WDW?
We usually go to the Souplantation in west Garden Grove, on Chapman Ave about 6 miles west of Harbor Blvd. Easier directions (no turns once you get on Chapman), and less traffic vs the Fullerton location. Also we like the Von's grocery store in the same parking lot.

BBQ - we like Blake's Place in east Anaheim, but the closest to DLR that you might try is Lucille's, which has a location on Chapman east of Harbor Blvd adjacent to the former Crystal Cathedral in Orange.

Rain Forest is ok for us but we have one here in Phoenix. They're a national chain so its never a must do on a Disney trip. AK does have one just outside the gates. At WDW DTD there is T-Rex, same owners similar concept but themed with dinos. Both are good food, fun atmosphere.

Farrels Ice Cream Parlor in Brea is now a must do for our Disneyland trip! Mortons Steak House at Harbor & Katella is excellent if you can afford it. Knotts Chicken Diner outsite the gates of Knotts Berry Farm 5 miles from DLR always has their famous and great chicken.

We like RFC as well, for us the closest one is about an hour drive so tend to go when we are at DL instead. I will say I do enjoy the BBQ sauce they have at RFC. :)

Kidding. I'm so kidding.

:scared1: where is the getting sick emotie when you need it? LOL Seriously, Captain Kidd's is the WORST!!!!! DO not eat there.....trust me!

I second Bubba Gump, we also like going to Joe's Crab Shack, farther down Harbor but yummy and our favorite is Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen....YUM!!!
I know those aren't BBQ but I wanted to mention them anyway. :)

Being a Minnesotan where Famous Dave's started, I think it is funny that so many people like Famous Daves! I had to stop and think for a minute.....really???? My brothers love it, but it has never been a fav of mine. Glad to hear others across the country enjoy it.

Thanks for all the other suggestions as I was wondering the same thing.

Kidding. I'm so kidding.

omg HAHAHAHA i thought you were seriousl for a minute till i saw the jk jk

i work in long beach . we go to Famous Daves once a month. A MUST GO especially for a day at the Pike in Long beach

Bubba Gumps try that one too. The atmosphere is fun they have one in Anaheim and Long beach

I have a co-worker that lives in Seal Beach, so I asked him about Beachside BBQ. He said he's never heard of it. He thinks you mean Beachwood BBQ. He likes Beachwood, but he says it's small and loud. More like a beach town pub than restaurant. Depending on when you go, there could be long waits. He said it's the type of place you go for the atmosphere and beer. He said the food is good, but he's had better. He also said the Long Beach location is bigger, but doesn't have the same atmosphere.

although these are great ideas...its a little drastic to have to drive 25 min. or so just to go to eat???? especially when you are doing DL at the same time...not something i would recommend for sure...

Farrel's Ice Cream Parlour in Brea!!! I beg you please try this place the servers are soo much fun

FOR SURE on this one!!!!

I really enjoyed Bubba Gump in GardenWalk when we went about 2 years ago - great portions and drinks were made very well !

Gardenwalk is a great idea...just up the road a tiny bit and you have a number of places to choose from...ie Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs...2 of my favorites ::yes::

http://www.anaheimgardenwalk.com/dining/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter