Odd Point Amounts

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
How do people end up with "odd" point amounts, such as 47 points, 384 points, 68 points? I thought DVC was only sold with minimum buy in of 150/160, with add ons in multiples of 25 points.

The current minimum to buy in direct from Disney is set at 160 yes, (though I believe there have been special minimums of 100 at AKV recently) and the minimum to add-on from Disney is 25 for a cash purchase or 50 for a financed purchase - but each purchaser can purchase what they feel they need or want over and above that. If you want to purchase say 212, you can. If you want to purchase say 329, you can - and so on. I believe the maximum per resort is 4,000, so you could purchase whatever amount you'd like, as long as it falls in between the minimum new or add-on amount and the maximum.

You can purchase any add on amount you want, I think there are minimums. We added on 123 points at Saratoga. Enough for a week, most of the year. Now that they have started redistributing the points needed for a full week more frequently that strategy may not have been such a good choice... time for an add on???;) :hippie:

...I believe the maximum per resort is 4,000, so you could purchase whatever amount you'd like, as long as it falls in between the minimum new or add-on amount and the maximum.

This may have changed but I was told by my guide (Jim McCoy, great guy) that the maximums were 2000 per resort and 3000 total.

This was to ensure that we could not own more of the resort than Mickey.

:)

Where are you seeing these "odd amounts" ?

Very rarely does one see contracts that are not even amounts or multiples of recommended amounts.

One does see these numbers in the rent/trade forums.

If I own 100 points and use 68 for a vacation and try to rent the rest - one could see a posting in the rent/trade areas on both this site and others for 32 points.....

A quick look at the sponsors list of contracts for sale shows only a couple out of several hundred listings that aren't multiples of 5, 10 or 25.... which encompass the most common purchase quantities....

This may have changed but I was told by my guide (Jim McCoy, great guy) that the maximums were 2000 per resort and 3000 total.

This was to ensure that we could not own more of the resort than Mickey.

:)

Yeah, I couldn't remember... thanks.

The total maximum points an owner can have is 2,000 at one resort and 5,000 combined all resorts (not 3,000).

I have seen many contracts where the last digit is other than 0 or 5. Many previously bought amount needed based on reliance on the point charts for the time they would usually go and points often needed for any particular consecutive nights during the year can be a number that ends in something other than a zero or 5.

The total maximum points an owner can have is 2,000 at one resort and 5,000 combined all resorts (not 3,000).

I have seen many contracts where the last digit is other than 0 or 5. Many previously bought amount needed based on reliance on the point charts for the time they would usually go and points often needed for any particular consecutive nights during the year can be a number that ends in something other than a zero or 5.

my cast member told me 4000 was max on 2/8/2010 lol so i guess its all depends on who you talk to

Where are you seeing these "odd amounts" ?

Very rarely does one see contracts that are not even amounts or multiples of recommended amounts.

One does see these numbers in the rent/trade forums.

If I own 100 points and use 68 for a vacation and try to rent the rest - one could see a posting in the rent/trade areas on both this site and others for 32 points.....

A quick look at the sponsors list of contracts for sale shows only a couple out of several hundred listings that aren't multiples of 5, 10 or 25.... which encompass the most common purchase quantities....

I'm one of those people who has an "odd amount" contract. My AKV contract is for 69 points. I purchased that number specifically to handle an every third year ressie. Of course, now with the reallocation, it doesn't work out the way it was supposed to, but that's okay too.

For some reason when we bought in 2004 our guide said something about adding a few more then we needed and odd numbers would work well for changes....... Or something like that? We decided 277 for some reason and are now waiting for ROFR for a 50 pt contract.

ROFR passed yesterday!

It's listed in the POS I believe at 2K/5K but I can't check right now. It is per member so there are ways around it if one wanted.

I have an 86, 65, and 2 @ 55 in addition to several at (3) 50, (1) 75, (1) 25and (1) 150. Thanks heavens, they all have the same use year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter