Odd Magical Express Question

Rafikifan

DIS Veteran
I have a friend who is bringing her son as a surprise trip to Disney World in October. He thinks that he's going to see his grandparents who live in northern Florida. They are flying in and are going to use Disney's Magic Express. The grandparents plan to arrive by car early to their resort, would like to check in and take the Magical Express bus to the airport to be there when friend and son land to surprise him and be with him when he realizes he's going to Disney World, then take the bus back with them to the resort. It's a round trip but backwards LOL. Hotel to airport, then airport to hotel. No luggage will be involved. Will they be able to do this? They will be Disney resort guests but aren't flying. I know some will ask what I did and why don't grandparents pick them up at the airport? They really want to get in the Disney mood and experience it with their grandchild. Also, they really don't want to deal with driving/parking at the airport since they aren't familiar with it.

Sure that will work. Everyone is entitled to a round trip to/from the airport. Just pick a departure time that's about 2-3 hours before the grandson's flight arrives to take the ME bus to the airport, and pick an arrival flight (even the grandson's flight itself) to go from the airport to Disney.

how sure how parents plan on child not hearing about Disney while on the flight. it will be mentioned on PA plus other kids who know where they are going are going to be talking about it. I just do not see it still a surprise when they land. plus they will have to take the shuttle to get to where the grandparents could meet them

Lots of travelers fly into MCO and don't go to Disney so I am not sure that is an issue for the OP - especially if they have previously visited the Grandparents via MCO.

As for DME technically they are entitled to a r/t DME ride but it could be tricky to set up in reverse like this! The trip back to the resort is easy as they can just put the same flight in for all guests but the leg for the grandparents from the resort to the airport could be an issue.

I would call the DME number (sorry I don't have it on hand but IIRC it is on the sticky!) rather than the reservation # to get the best results. I have booked trips from the resort to the airport when we weren't flying out without picking "dummy flights" so it can be done - but not all DME reps can do this.

Sounds like fun - I hope they can pull this off!

how sure how parents plan on child not hearing about Disney while on the flight. it will be mentioned on PA plus other kids who know where they are going are going to be talking about it. I just do not see it still a surprise when they land. plus they will have to take the shuttle to get to where the grandparents could meet them

He knows that he is going to Florida, so I don't see how anything that he hears on the plane could ruin the surprise. Orlando might not be the normal airport they use to visit the grandparents, but it is obviously in driving distance (since the grandparents are driving there), so that could very easily be explained. The fact that WDW is near the Orlando airport is probably something the kid already knows and, if not (and he finds out during the flight), I still don't see it ruining the surprise.

I also don't see why you think that they'd need to take a shuttle anywhere? That's the point of the question - getting the grandparents to the airport, where they will meet up.

OP - it should work, but I agree with the PP about giving DME a call. Usually you get information about the return trip when at the resort (the night before), which couldn't happen in this case. Just not sure if the system is set up to organise the return trip if you've not yet checked in (so they might have to do some sort of manual override).

I do not think you can do DME to airport on day of check in. Best place will be MS to start with and ask this. If possible they should be able to add that in your reservation.

I also don't see why you think that they'd need to take a shuttle anywhere? That's the point of the question - getting the grandparents to the airport, where they will meet up.

I'm guessing Betty means the monorail.

It's totally possible to do this, you'll just have to get the right DME person on the phone. :)

I am just remembering landing with grandsons on their wish trips, they thought that the airport was part of Disney with everything they saw. and yes I was thinking of the monorail at the airport, not Disney. just remember telling the boys we were not their yet just at the airport and them not believing. all of this happened before where grandparents could meet them even if they rode ME.

Anyone staying at a Disney owned resort is entitled to one round trip between MCO and the resort, but I think you should call DME and arrange this in advance because the trip from the resort to the airport is usually scheduled at least one day in advance. People know on the morning before their departure day what time DME will be picking them up at their resort so the grandparents wouldn't be able to check in and then tell DME or the front desk castmembers they need to go to the airport that same day. Call DME (866) 599-0951, explain what you want to do and have it arranged in advance. Note that DME will book the grandparents for a specific time/bus pick up so if they miss the bus they will have to drive to the airport to meet the grandkids.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I called DME and she had to check with a supervisor who said that's it's unusual but can be done.

Yes, you actually can take the bus to the airport if you are not catching a plane. You would just have to arrange a pickup time with DME. I agree with PF, call DME direct, don't try to do this through Disney reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter