October trip planned - not happy with dates need advice

TheIncredibles!

Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award
We usually go the last week of January/First week of Feb. This time we decided to switch it up because the weather the past few trips has been pretty crappy. So I booked the first full week of October.

The more I think about it the more I think I will just be miserable then. I despise the heat with a passion. We did one trip once in the middle of September and I was hot, sweaty amd cranky the whole time. UGH!

So I'd like to move my dates around but I don't know where to go. Primary for me is NO CROWDS. Secondary to that is weather. I'd love to hit Christmas time but I have heard that the first two weeks of December are crowded? I don't want to go after that as then it's too close to Christmas and we always have things to do etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions? How's late October? Early November?

We've never been in October.....so far we have traveled in March, April, July, August, and November. November is a great time, generally the weather is like spring and we are there for the tail end of the F&W and also get to see Christmas decoration start popping up. Crowds for us are manageable.....

October is GREAT - we used to LOVE going then ... before the kids started at a school where the Head Master will not let them out of class in October :sad:

We've gone the end of September and yes it's still a bit hot... we've gone in mid and late October and it really is wonderful. Late October can get hot during the day but by afternoon it gets cooler and evenings are wonderful. Hit the MNSSHP - it makes an October trip just heaven :cloud9:

October is GREAT - we used to LOVE going then ... before the kids started at a school where the Head Master will not let them out of class in October :sad:

We've gone the end of September and yes it's still a bit hot... we've gone in mid and late October and it really is wonderful. Late October can get hot during the day but by afternoon it gets cooler and evenings are wonderful. Hit the MNSSHP - it makes an October trip just heaven :cloud9:

How would October 28th - Nov 5th be? Does it get crowded for Halloween? Will I have a tough time switching now that we are less than 7 months out? We're booked at VWL our home resort right now but I'd love to get into BLT/MK view.

Right now we're booked 9/30 - 10/9.

Because of Food and Wine at Epcot, there may not be availability for those October to November dates. The only way to know for sure is to call MS. I don't think your September dates will be too crowded, although the weather may still be warm. You are there for the opening of F & W.

Go the week between the end of the F&W Festival and Thanksgiving week.

Low crowds, good weather and you will probably get to see at least some of the Christmas decorations. Plus if you are thinking about 2011, it might be the only November or December week you will be able to get something without waitlisting or moving between resorts..

Good luck!

P.S. I am talking about 11/13/11- 11/20/11.

Is that 11/11 - 11/20? How bad will it be the second weekend heading into Thanksgiving? I am worried about airfare too. I might just be better off going back to January - lol The "unknown" is frightening :lmao::lmao:

The first couple of weeks in Dec are pretty dead, and the weather's good. Going any time during F&W will mean big, big crowds in Epcot. We usually go in either January or May, and we went in October a couple of years ago. We were shocked at the crowds. It didn't help that the heat index was over 100 for 3 of our 4 days....

If you despise heat that much, October is not gonna be good for you. Early November (well before Thanksgiving, obvs) or early December would probably be the best since you can't do January.

ETA: For crowd levels, January is still pretty much the best. But the Christmas decorations are so pretty, and, like I said, early December is about as slow, if not slower, than Jan.

The first couple of weeks in Dec are pretty dead, and the weather's good. Going any time during F&W will mean big, big crowds in Epcot. We usually go in either January or May, and we went in October a couple of years ago. We were shocked at the crowds. It didn't help that the heat index was over 100 for 3 of our 4 days....

If you despise heat that much, October is not gonna be good for you. Early November (well before Thanksgiving, obvs) or early December would probably be the best since you can't do January.

ETA: For crowd levels, January is still pretty much the best. But the Christmas decorations are so pretty, and, like I said, early December is about as slow, if not slower, than Jan.

We can do January, we just wanted to try a different time because the weather is so iffy then. The first few years we were going it was mild but still swimming weather. The last few times it was dreary and cold and we only had a day or two that was decent.

I'd love to try early December but heard that was Pop Warner weeks and that increased the crowds?

What do you think about Dec 2nd - 11th? Would that be a good time to try?

Is that 11/11 - 11/20? How bad will it be the second weekend heading into Thanksgiving? I am worried about airfare too. I might just be better off going back to January - lol The "unknown" is frightening :lmao::lmao:

Crowds should not be bad at all. Weather can still be an unknown though. We were there partly during that time two years ago and it was cool to chilly at times. I do think it was a little cooler than normal though. The nice thing is that the Christmas decorations will be going up and probably all done by the end of your stay. MVMCP and Osbourne lights also will have started so it's a nice time to go if you want that experience but don't want to go in Dec. :santa:

Oh - and I'd rank our Nov stay with lower crowds than early Dec. We're going back in Nov this year instead of Dec.

:)Just made reservations last week for the last full week of Oct. We were there last year in Oct. and the weather was not too bad, not like in the summertime (I'm like you I just can't stand the heat and humidity). The crowds were not really that bad either. During F&WF Epcot does get crowded on the weekends but during the week we felt the crowds were very manageable. Oct. is our favorite time of the year to go to WDW.

Btw, we had limited options because we did not want to do a split stay. We are owners at OKW so staying there is ok with us, however, we are WL for BWVs & BC.

Let us know what you decide -- good luck!

...I'd love to try early December but heard that was Pop Warner weeks and that increased the crowds?

What do you think about Dec 2nd - 11th? Would that be a good time to try?

But you are going to have a difficult time getting a reservation for that week. One of the busiest for DVC. Most members book 11 months out for that week.

Low crowds, good weather and you will probably get to see at least some of the Christmas decorations. Plus if you are thinking about 2011, it might be the only November or December week you will be able to get something without waitlisting or moving between resorts..

Good luck!

This is great advice! We have traveled the weeks from October 23rd-November 23 many times. The week before Thanksgiving is ALWAYS the least crowded. The weather is mild, but can occasionally be chilly. Pack for anything-from 83 degrees to 55 degrees. Also, we never had any issues with our airfares. They seemed to run the same during all of these weeks.
HTH!

Oct was always our favorite time to go. The F&W Festival is wonderful. However, the last couple of times we have gone it has been more crowded that in years past. Last year we had to stay at SSR because I couldn't get into BWV or BCV 6 months ahead. Our wait list never came thru.
I strongly suggest if you want to go in Oct, book 11 months out at your home resort. Lots of DVC'ers go in Oct/early Nov for F&W. Due to being so close to Epcot, BWV & BCV book up fast.

We went for the 1/2 marathon the first weekend in Oct. last year and loved it. We've been twice in October and it is one of our favorite times to go. The weather was warm during the day so we could still swim, but cooled at night so we needed a sweater. We also went the week before Thanksgiving and loved seeing the Christmas decorations, but it was too cold to swim and very cold at night. Every time of year has it's benefits and weather is so unpredictale. We just went the last week in March and it rained for 2 1/2 days of our trip.:confused:Thank goodness the last 3 days of our trip were beautiful. I was worried about the crowds and we really didn't think they were bad. Again, every time of year has it's pros and cons. I would go ahead and try October. Good luck with your decision.:goodvibes

We were there in mid January this year and thought the crowds from Brazil made it seem crowded.... especially MK and DHS.

We are going again in October to the F&W Fest and we expect big crowds at Epcot, but we will deal with it.

We never take crowds into consideration when we decide to go to WDW. We do what we can do and save the rest for another trip. ;)

To us.... it always seems crowded when ever we've been there.... March, April, December or January....... but we love it anyways.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Good luck!

+1

We are heading back down the World this week as well - it is a great time to go. Weather is usually perfect and crowds are fairly light.

We were there in mid January this year and thought the crowds from Brazil made it seem crowded.... especially MK and DHS.

We are going again in October to the F&W Fest and we expect big crowds at Epcot, but we will deal with it.

We never take crowds into consideration when we decide to go to WDW. We do what we can do and save the rest for another trip. ;)

To us.... it always seems crowded when ever we've been there.... March, April, December or January....... but we love it anyways.

Good luck with your decision. :)

This was our 4th mid January trip and the crowds from Brazil this years were a lot less than the last few years imho.

How would October 28th - Nov 5th be? Does it get crowded for Halloween? Will I have a tough time switching now that we are less than 7 months out? We're booked at VWL our home resort right now but I'd love to get into BLT/MK view.

Right now we're booked 9/30 - 10/9.

Late October is great! The weather is nice, but not sweltering, the crowds are light. It's mainly brits and wisconsin folks (teacher conference). We go that time just about every year (or do the DCL)

I go every year in October, and it's nice and warm--not hot, usually, but warm enough to swim in the pool. The last week in October can be crowded, due to Halloween on the 31st, but the first week in November is pretty empty. It's quiet all the way up to Thanksgiving, then it gets horrible, and the airfare is awfully expensive. You should be able to get good airfare in October/early November/early December. I went once in early December, and it was cloudy and rainy and too cool for the pools. I didn't like that time, I enjoyed the week of Christmas better, although sometimes you can't swim then either, and it's very, very crowded. Personally, if you enjoy warm weather, and you want to swim, go in October. Otherwise, go in early November/early December. If you go just after Thanksgiving is over, you can see the Processional, which is terrific, and the decorations. Be sure to see the lights over at MGM, another must see. It really is lovely in December!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter