• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October School breaks

andrychowski

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of going to DW in October or May. I have read the weather and crowds are similar. We have been in both months before. Our last October visit hit a school break and the crowds were larger than we expected. Do anyone know when the October school breaks usually fall?

All we get in upstate NY is Columbus day...just the Monday, not the whole week.

My kids get the full week of 10/15, but that's unusual even for around home, most places here are only getting a few days this year. My neices & nephews 45 min west of us are getting 2 days in November.

I also read on another Disney chat today that Alabama has a bill going up to vote today that is nixing all week long fall breaks. This years fall break season could be very interesting.

We only get Friday the 26th off in October '13 (in WI.) I think this year it was Thurs & Friday making it a 4 day weekend.

We have a new school calendar and will be on break Oct 15 through 26. Vacation time!

We have a new school calendar and will be on break Oct 15 through 26. Vacation time!

Ditto this. We're in the Indy area, too. New balanced calendar means a two week October break, and I know lots of people headed to WDW!

I don't know how much overall impact foreign visitors have on the crowd levels but the last two weeks of October have the kids off school in the UK. Most schools get one week or the other - some get both - but wherever you live in England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales, your children will have at least one of those weeks off and with airfares the way they have been over the last couple of years :scared1: this has become a very popular time to travel to WDW with many taking their kids out of school for extra days to add onto the vacation, with or without permission. Don't know if that helps :goodvibes

When we lived in Florida our favorite time of the year to visit was October. We could never figure out why there were so many people visiting from Alabama. Especially Northern Alabama. Until we moved here that is. LOL!!

Every year the school district has their Fall break in October. This year ours is from October 8th through October 12th.

Even still, I would much rather go in October rather than May. Even though I was from Florida the heat was oppressive and the crowds are complete madness. A lot of schools get out at the end of May. Even with the school breaks the crowds in October are manageable. The weather is beautiful and it's still our favorite time of the year to go.

They are all over the map and of varying lengths here in GA. My DD has the first week of Oct. off. There are some schools in south GA and around Atlanta that get the last week of Sept. off. Then other schools in the metro Atlanta area get a couple of days around Columbus day, and then some that get those couple of days even later in the month.

Here in NE WI, my kids have off Oct 24, 25 and 26. But I'm taking them out for the entire week. :)

Those days off used to be state-wide for a teacher's conference. This Oct, many schools will still have those days off on their calendar's (too late to change them), but not for Oct 2013.

Southern Louisiana here. In the past none of the schools in our area have had a fall break in Oct., as far as I know. However, this year we have a new schedule and are going to be off the entire week of Oct. 15th.

We would love to go to WDW during our kids' break. With a trip to WDW already planned for July/August, and a Thanksgiving trip planned at another destination I don't think WDW in Oct. is going to happen for us. Would be fun tho!

Then other schools in the metro Atlanta area get a couple of days around Columbus day,

I'm in Atlanta and this is what the schools around here are doing - Columbus Day off, maybe with another day off around there. One of the proposals that was on the table, and which they just shelved was the whole week of Columbus Day off (instead of 1-2 days off). That would have been sweet, but alas, it seems it's been shelved until next year.

P.S. - The Touringplans crowd calendars uses school calendars as part of the criteria they enter into equations to determine the 'grades.' So that's a good resource to look at.

we are in northwest indiana...our fall break gives us thurs the 25th and fri the 26th off..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter