October is here!!! A Semi-live TR!!! Our Oct 7-14 trip to the world!

Hi Kathy! I read your TR from your March trip and I'm SO happy you get to go back to WDW again soon!! :woohoo: I remember you saying a few times in that TR, "I don't know when we'll be back........." ;) Excited to plan along with you! I LOVE WDW in Oct. We haven't gone in Oct. since 2011 but it's definitely my favorite month to go :goodvibes

Hey welcome!! Thanks for coming by!! Yeah back in March...I hadn't even considered the possibility of going back to WDW this year lol...but when I got home, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and how great it was to spend some mommy/daughter time...and so I had this tiny idea that maybe...Thanksgiving (Canadian) would be feasible...and that little idea grew....and you guys...to be honest...I didn't really share...my hubby is training for the IronMan at the end of August. And while, I'm trying to be a good supportive wifey, because yes, what he's doing is AMAZING...he ALSO started his new business last summer...so between new business plus Ironman training...I pretty much never see him. I was getting a little bitter about it all. So I told him, I will (try) to stop being bitter about your 10 workouts a week and all the "work" socializing you have to do...IF I can plan a trip to Disney for October. It will give me something to focus on and look forward to AND keep the bitterness at bay about pretty much being single mom until the end of August...so there you have it. Not that I need to justify this trip to anyone around HERE...but...that is what I am sharing with people who have anything to say about the fact that I'm going back to Disney so soon...I'm so glad to hear that October is a good month to go though!!

Just caught up! So happy that you have a trip planned!!

I have always wanted to try POFQ! Can't wait to hear about it, I would think 12-1 arrival is a little ambitious but possible. The food at MCO is good, chick fil a (my fav) Quiznos, moes southwest, Panda Express. I was there today can you tell??
I think doing FP+ for that night anytime after 5 should be good give yourself a little time to to get to the park.
October is a great time to go! Can't wait to hear all about your planning!

Welcome!! Glad you are here!! Yes I do hope we can get to our hotel by 1ish...I guess it depends on a lot of things but I will cross my fingers. Glad to hear there are lots of food options at MCO. I do love me some Chick Fil A...especially because we don't have it in Canada. So I might have to have that...although...there will probably be a lot of chicken nuggets for DD at Disney...anyway..at least I know there are options at the airport so that's good!! Glad October is a good time to go too...I suppose I will have to pack raincoats though just in case?

I'm here! So excited for you! POFQ is amazing! We stayed there for our honeymoon and I LOVED how quiet and small it was compared to the other resorts. Lots to do and you can use the amenities at POR. If we had stayed on site I was torn between POFQ and CBR (zero entry pool) but with mom joining us we are staying offsite. You are so ahead of me! Flights and MNSSHP tickets booked... I better get moving! Lol

So glad you are here and welcome!! I'm so happy that you loved POFQ!! Quiet and small sounds pretty good to me...there's lots of excitement to be found when we want it...but for sleeping, I'm looking forward to quiet :) Yes, get on those MNSSHP tickets...I hear they sell out! Although the crappy thing is I keep second guessing if I made the right choice for days on that or not...but that's done and can't be changed...so I just have to stop thinking about it.

Hey welcome!! Thanks for coming by!! Yeah back in March...I hadn't even considered the possibility of going back to WDW this year lol...but when I got home, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and how great it was to spend some mommy/daughter time...and so I had this tiny idea that maybe...Thanksgiving (Canadian) would be feasible...and that little idea grew....and you guys...to be honest...I didn't really share...my hubby is training for the IronMan at the end of August. And while, I'm trying to be a good supportive wifey, because yes, what he's doing is AMAZING...he ALSO started his new business last summer...so between new business plus Ironman training...I pretty much never see him. I was getting a little bitter about it all. So I told him, I will (try) to stop being bitter about your 10 workouts a week and all the "work" socializing you have to do...IF I can plan a trip to Disney for October. It will give me something to focus on and look forward to AND keep the bitterness at bay about pretty much being single mom until the end of August...so there you have it. Not that I need to justify this trip to anyone around HERE...but...that is what I am sharing with people who have anything to say about the fact that I'm going back to Disney so soon...I'm so glad to hear that October is a good month to go though!!

WOW! Is that the Ironman they show on TV? DH watches that all the time lol! You don't have to justify to anyone here how often you go to Disney, nobody on these boards is going to judge you for that! But I understand if you have friends/family asking why you're going back so soon. We got that when we started going often; now everyone is so used to us going constantly that they just assume that's where were going when I say we're going away ::yes::

WOW! Is that the Ironman they show on TV? DH watches that all the time lol! You don't have to justify to anyone here how often you go to Disney, nobody on these boards is going to judge you for that! But I understand if you have friends/family asking why you're going back so soon. We got that when we started going often; now everyone is so used to us going constantly that they just assume that's where were going when I say we're going away ::yes::

Ha no, not exactly. The Ironman they show on TV is the Ironman Championship that is in Hawaii. My DH will never qualify for that LOL. But the one he is doing is an official Ironman race, and it is taking place in Muskoka, which is a lake area a few hours North of Toronto where we live. But it consists of the exact same distances as the one they show on TV of Hawaii...and this one is supposed to be pretty gruelling because it is quite a hilly and rugged area. It is made up of a 4km swim, a 170km bike and a 42km run....he is also doing the "half" Ironman in early July. His goal is just to finish (and not die) :rolleyes1

While as I said, I'm super proud of him, and amazed (as about 3 years ago my hubby WAS Homer Simpson and couldn't run 5km...) it is taking up a HUGE amount of time and sometimes it is hard not to get annoyed. I think it's great to try to be in shape and all...but aren't marathons enough? But I guess once you really get bitten by the marathon "bug"...you have to try to keep doing more..I guess it's kinda like being bitten by the Disney bug in my case lol.

I haven't told too many people yet that we have booked the trip...just my parents and DH and a close friend or two. But I knew you guys here would understand!!

Totally understanding needing a makeup trip for dealing with all that training! And the trip with ds. Being fair gets complicated sometimes!

One of the dads at ds' old tkd dojo did either ironman or something similar, and the training stories were crazy! He had a coach and everything! But his kids were the best prepared to run the 2 miles for black belt testing, lol.

So I just realized, I almost made a pretty rookie mistake lol. On our arrival day, it's October 8th, I was planning to head over to MK to try to have dinner and get in a few rides that night. BUT...I just realized that that night has the MNSSHP. We have tickets for that the next day, October 9th. But that means, that if we don't have tickets for the party on the 8th...they will be kicking us out at 7pm. So. Sigh. What to do. I had really hoped to do MK on our first night there....but is it worth going over for just what will probably only end up being 2-3 hours max by the time we check into our hotel and get over there around 4-5pm? I mean I suppose we could just book a couple of FP+ and hoof it over and do that and leave....and it's better than nothing...

But then the other parks also close at 7:30 that night except for Epcot - which is totally NOT recommenended by EasyWDW's crowd calendar...it's slated as the most crowded. I guess with F&W and also the EMH that day on and such on a Thursday night...so Gah...what to do??? I guess we could just not hit a park at all...but now I am feeling foolish for getting talked into the 7 day park ticket when we probably only need 4 because we have the MNSSHP ticket one day as well...sigh. So what park is worth most going to for just a couple of hours? Are the animals going to be active at all at 4 or 5pm to do a safari at AK? Or I guess we could go to HS and just do a couple of rides? Ugh...can't decide....

I was just going to start making a wish list of FP+ for each day when this all occurred to me...so help!!

I know you wanted to go to a park, but you could always plan this as a night at DTD.

Yup, and that is definitely something I'm considering...but we do have plans to go to DTD at least one other time, and I just sorta feel like we are "wasting" a park ticket if we don't go at all that day? But it might be more trouble than it's worth for just a couple of hours. I may have to "gasp" play it by ear and perhaps if everything goes really smoothly and we get checked in to the hotel earlier than expected...then we'll hit a park...but if not we'll just take it easy. But I still have to choose what park we "might" go to so I can pick a few FP+ times just in case...so I still want to have a plan...just not sure which park makes the most sense...

I was planning to head over to MK to try to have dinner and get in a few rides that night. BUT...I just realized that that night has the MNSSHP. We have tickets for that the next day, October 9th. But that means, that if we don't have tickets for the party on the 8th...they will be kicking us out at 7pm. So. Sigh. What to do.

Whoops! But... see below.

But then the other parks also close at 7:30 that night except for Epcot - which is totally NOT recommenended by EasyWDW's crowd calendar...it's slated as the most crowded. I guess with F&W and also the EMH that day on and such on a Thursday night...so Gah...what to do???

Here's my thoughts.
If you really want to go to MK for a few hours, then do it.
I don't remember, do you have hoppers? If you do, you could do MK for a while then go to Epcot.
If no hoppers, decide which would be better. A few hours at MK or more at Epcot.

As far as Epcot goes, you've already seen from my TR that it's great just to walk around WS.
My own (albeit limited) knowledge is telling me that even though Epcot will be the most crowded park,
1. It's October. October crowded vs peak period crowded is very different.
2. It's a biiiig park. Even with bigger crowds, it (to me) doesn't feel crowded.

If it was me, I might do something else, since I would rather not start my trip in Epcot and would rather get AK or DHS "out of the way" first.

I guess what I'm trying (and failing) to say is if you want to do Epcot, to maximize your park time, I wouldn't let the crowd calendar scare me.
Touring Plans crowd calendar is showing Epcot to be a 4.
So pretty much empty.

Go to Epcot.
That's my recommendation.

Whoops! But... see below.
Here's my thoughts.
If you really want to go to MK for a few hours, then do it.
I don't remember, do you have hoppers? If you do, you could do MK for a while then go to Epcot.
If no hoppers, decide which would be better. A few hours at MK or more at Epcot.

As far as Epcot goes, you've already seen from my TR that it's great just to walk around WS.
My own (albeit limited) knowledge is telling me that even though Epcot will be the most crowded park,
1. It's October. October crowded vs peak period crowded is very different.
2. It's a biiiig park. Even with bigger crowds, it (to me) doesn't feel crowded.

If it was me, I might do something else, since I would rather not start my trip in Epcot and would rather get AK or DHS "out of the way" first.

I guess what I'm trying (and failing) to say is if you want to do Epcot, to maximize your park time, I wouldn't let the crowd calendar scare me.
Touring Plans crowd calendar is showing Epcot to be a 4.
So pretty much empty.

Go to Epcot.
That's my recommendation.

@pkondz I knew I could count on you to give me a different (and good) perspective on this :) We are not getting hoppers so that idea's out. I'm not sure with DD if I want to start the trip with Epcot either - and I was planning to spend a whole day there later in the trip.

But then...is 2-3 hours enough to really get either AK or DHS out of the way? It actually might...especially because DD isn't into thrill rides (and let's face it, neither am I) so that takes out some of the headliners for us anyway. So we could in theory go to one of those parks that night and then not visit it again and have more time for our faves MK and Epcot later...not a bad idea.

But I would hate to say, plan to spend just the evening at AK and then have the animals all be out of sight when that would be our main purpose in going...

We could try to get DHS out of the way that night...I had actually planned on going to Sci Fi for lunch on another day and spending more time at DHS though...I suppose I could change that to dinner...but then that takes time away from attractions...gah...

So now we are back to...maybe it IS worth it to just go to MK and do a few things...but just set the expectations low for my DD as far as what we can get done. I will be able to promise her that we will be back there the next day anyway for MNSSHP and possibly even on our last day as well...so not like it matters that much if we don't see everything that night. Thanks for helping me work that out lol. If the stars were aligned and I could know for sure that the weather would be good and the animals would all be right where we could see them, I'd probably try to get AK out of the way that night so we could have another day elsewhere later...BUT...since I don't think that's at all realistic...I will likely just stick to the plan...

Do they really hard core "kick you out" at 7pm when it's MNSSHP? Like do your magic bands stop working right at 7pm? Can you still be wandering through the stores on your way out past 7pm?

I'm not sure with DD if I want to start the trip with Epcot either - and I was planning to spend a whole day there later in the trip.

I believe the UOG actually recommends starting with Epcot if you have children.
If you start with MK, then that gives them the sense that all parks will be like that and they wind up disappointed with the others.
Just FYI.

But I would hate to say, plan to spend just the evening at AK and then have the animals all be out of sight when that would be our main purpose in going...

That's true. I, personally, wouldn't do AK.

So now we are back to...maybe it IS worth it to just go to MK and do a few things...but just set the expectations low for my DD as far as what we can get done.

If you say something like: "We're going to MK. We won't go on any rides because we won't be able to because of the lines, but this way we can see what it's like so the next day we can see and do lots!"

Or something like that.

Do they really hard core "kick you out" at 7pm when it's MNSSHP?

YES! I wasn't kicked out since we had tickets but this is how it happened (things may be different now. This was before magic bands.)
At some point (no... I don't remember when) we got wristbands to show that we had tickets for MNSSHP.
Pretty much right at 7, CMs started going through the park like a human chain. (They may even have had ropes... but I don't remember.)
Only guests with wristbands did not get swept up and out.
It was like magic.
One second there was a crowd, the next, the place was almost empty.
I would assume, though, that they gave them plenty of time to shop on the way out, but I don't know since we were up near Peter Pan when it happened.

Also, I'm not sure since it's been a few years (5 years ago) but even though the party starts at 7, your ticket gets you in the park at 4.

So, this is going to be a pretty radical idea, but...

I think you can just play it by ear. Once you get there and see how long it takes to get organized, how tired you are, etc, you can decide whether you want to spend 2-3 hours in MK or 4-5 hours in Epcot (or neither). You can make FP+ from a kiosk once you're in the park - there are a few things you won't be able to get (mostly headliners, but a lot of those are thrill rides you may not enjoy - Peter Pan at MK & Soarin' at Epcot are the only non-thrill rides that I think will be unavailable), but you can get something. It might be nice to have one day that you just plan when you get there.

And I don't remember if you guys like characters, but if you do, you may want to spend more time at DHS - they have some good characters there, and if you see characters at DHS, you don't have to do them at other parks (giving you more time for other things at the other parks).

There is quite a bit to do at EPCOT -or there used to be- and maybe a FP for Soarin' would suite both of you? Or you could wander World Showcase and maybe see the Food & Wine event? Or what about an evening in Downtown Disney? Cirque is there, I think there is a theatre as well, lots of restaurants to see. Last time you were hopeful about seeing the Irish Dancing at Raglan Road! Would that be an option this time? :-)

I believe the UOG actually recommends starting with Epcot if you have children.
If you start with MK, then that gives them the sense that all parks will be like that and they wind up disappointed with the others.
Just FYI.
That's true. I, personally, wouldn't do AK.
If you say something like: "We're going to MK. We won't go on any rides because we won't be able to because of the lines, but this way we can see what it's like so the next day we can see and do lots!"
Or something like that.

YES! I wasn't kicked out since we had tickets but this is how it happened (things may be different now. This was before magic bands.)
At some point (no... I don't remember when) we got wristbands to show that we had tickets for MNSSHP.
Pretty much right at 7, CMs started going through the park like a human chain. (They may even have had ropes... but I don't remember.)
Only guests with wristbands did not get swept up and out.
It was like magic.
One second there was a crowd, the next, the place was almost empty.
I would assume, though, that they gave them plenty of time to shop on the way out, but I don't know since we were up near Peter Pan when it happened.

Also, I'm not sure since it's been a few years (5 years ago) but even though the party starts at 7, your ticket gets you in the park at 4.

My DD has been to all the parks - but I think MK is the only one she remembers. That's a good idea though - maybe not go on any rides - or try to just book a couple of FP+ rides and a character meet near the exit or something...lots of good ideas. And then if they let us hang around and shop we can do some of that before they usher us out as well. Although...Epcot is also a good idea. I think she would be old enough to understand that we can't do much that day and that we'll be back. And also we may be better able to get the lay of the land so we'll know what we want to do during the party the next night....

So, this is going to be a pretty radical idea, but...

I think you can just play it by ear. Once you get there and see how long it takes to get organized, how tired you are, etc, you can decide whether you want to spend 2-3 hours in MK or 4-5 hours in Epcot (or neither). You can make FP+ from a kiosk once you're in the park - there are a few things you won't be able to get (mostly headliners, but a lot of those are thrill rides you may not enjoy - Peter Pan at MK & Soarin' at Epcot are the only non-thrill rides that I think will be unavailable), but you can get something. It might be nice to have one day that you just plan when you get there.

And I don't remember if you guys like characters, but if you do, you may want to spend more time at DHS - they have some good characters there, and if you see characters at DHS, you don't have to do them at other parks (giving you more time for other things at the other parks).

That's a good idea - re: playing it by ear. I was thinking I may make FP+ for MK from 4-7pm and then if we don't feel like going there I could change them to Epcot or just walk around WS that night....that would also work well...so I just won't make any ADR's that night and try to be as flexible as possible!!! (which is kind of a challenge for me and my spreadsheet lol...but I will try)

There is quite a bit to do at EPCOT -or there used to be- and maybe a FP for Soarin' would suite both of you? Or you could wander World Showcase and maybe see the Food & Wine event? Or what about an evening in Downtown Disney? Cirque is there, I think there is a theatre as well, lots of restaurants to see. Last time you were hopeful about seeing the Irish Dancing at Raglan Road! Would that be an option this time? :-)

That's a great idea too - maybe get Soarin' out of the way (or get a second ride on it) and then wander WS...even though we will be coming back...I have no problem spending a lot of time there...DTD is an option too - although I did make an ADR for Raglan Road for another night so that is in the plan already lol...

Hi :wave2: I just finished reading your Trip Report and loved it :thumbsup2 so I thought I would hop on over here and follow along on your PTR! I have seen you around on other threads and wanted to say hi...so hi! :rotfl:

Helllooo! Thanks for joining!! Glad to have you along!!! I see you have a PTR in the works too...I will go check it out asap!! The more the merrier I say!

So after much debating and rehashing and changing plans and changing them back...I've decided....nothing lol!! I'm debating my Day 1 plans here...to recap...we expect to be at POFQ and hopefully checked in by about 1pm...and then hopefully headed...somewhere. My original thought was go to MK for a few hours until I realized it's MNSSHP that night and they will kick us out at 7pm.

So....with many recos from people I've gone over the options:

1. Go to MK anyway...pick a few FP+ maybe grab a snack...and look in the shops until the CM's lead us out kicking and screaming...at which point I will remind DD that we will be back next afternoon/evening with tickets for the MNSSHP. But with this plan, at least we are pretty much guaranteed an early night...which might be a good thing on arrival day...so we aren't totally wiped out for the rest of the trip...we could go back to the room, get settled, since we probably won't have had any time to unpack after just dumping our stuff earlier...etc...

2. Go to Epcot and hit up a couple of rides with FP+ and wander WS for a while. This does sound like a really good option...except a couple of things...I do plan on spending an entire day at Epcot later in the trip...and while I personally could spend MANY days at Epcot myself...I'm not sure if DD will get bored of Epcot on our full day there if we've already done some of it on arrival day? The other con to this plan is that with Epcot allowing us to stay later, we may end up getting back pretty late and being really wiped out for next day...which will be a long one with MNSSHP...so I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea. Both DD and I are cranky when tired and it won't be fun for anyone...and we will have been up since probably 5am that day so...hmf...

3. Go to AK for a couple of hours - but I think I've ixnayed this one because I don't think there will be much to see from 4-6pm when AK closes. OR hit up DHS which also closes at 7:30pm. DHS for a few hours might be a viable option actually...BUT again..same thing...if we go to DHS for a few hours on arrival day...do I then not go back for another full day later in the trip? I am not getting park hoppers...so....not crazy about this diea...

4. Not go to a park at all and just hang at POFQ and maybe hit DTD for dinner. If I hadn't bought the 7 day park passes...I might really be considering this one more seriously. But I almost feel wasteful NOT going to a park that day because I'm also not for sure going to be using a park ticket on our MNSSHP and we can't use one on Departure day because our flight is too early. SO...technically if I don't go on arrival day to a park...I will really only need a 4 day park ticket...and I will be wasting...$64...(total for both of our tickets) But if we hit up a park even for a couple of hours...I won't feel as bad about that...does that sound silly?

So after all that....I think I will sit on this for a while...at least until August 8th when I have to start making FP+ for arrival day (if needed) so I will need to know which park we plan to be at....sigh...

So next post...I will move on to plans for Day 2...and hopefully not complicate things further lol

I'd try to book a fun ADR on the monorail for dinner on Day 1-- Ohana or 1900PF? Go to MK until the party starts and then go to dinner.

Joining in! Congrats on booking your next trip. I can't wait to plan "with" you! :goodvibes

Thanks for joining!!! We are very excited!! Glad you have you along for the ride!

I'd try to book a fun ADR on the monorail for dinner on Day 1-- Ohana or 1900PF? Go to MK until the party starts and then go to dinner.

That's a really good idea too! Or actually if we can't get a ADR I may just go to one of the QS places on the monorail for dinner...that's not a bad idea either since the Poly or the GF all have good QS options.

What about (if you can get it) a 630/7pm dinner reservation in MK. You can ride, shop etc till your reservation then dinner then early night?

They will kick you out (walk you out?) after dinner but maybe an option?

Did you buy a package? Can you see about changing the number of days on your park ticket? (Not sure if that possible but I think maybe)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter