October dates

prisjoyce

Planner Extraordinaire
Hi there,
I'm looking into a trip for my family for Oct 2013. (Our last 2 trips have been Thanksgiving week & DH wants to go when its not so busy.)

We are considering going over Columbus Day 10/14, or the weekend of 10/26. Any thoughts about these dates? The crowd calendars I've looked at don't give the impression that crowds are high over Columbus Day. True?

Definitely hope to hit a MNSSHP while we are there! Any tips on that would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

Hi there,
I'm looking into a trip for my family for Oct 2013. (Our last 2 trips have been Thanksgiving week & DH wants to go when its not so busy.)

We are considering going over Columbus Day 10/14, or the weekend of 10/26. Any thoughts about these dates? The crowd calendars I've looked at don't give the impression that crowds are high over Columbus Day. True?

Definitely hope to hit a MNSSHP while we are there! Any tips on that would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

If you have any hope of getting any type of discount, I would go with the later dates. There is a current free dining PIN code covering dates in October, but Oct 3-17 are blacked out. You might want to give them a call to see if you have the PIN on your account.

Last year the posts during Columbus were just about ALL complaining about the crowds. In early October there was a confluence of all kinds of special events (a marathon, Columbus day weekend, NY schools out, etc) that drove crowds way up for that time of year. Still not 4th of July crowds, but still much more than folks were expecting.

I would choose the 2nd option - there's not much going on that time of the month. We're planning the week before you for low crowds especially.

Regarding MNSSHP - It will be crowded that week and you will want to buy your tickets ahead of time. Tuesdays are usually your slowest party nights.

Another vote for 10/26. We went during this time last year and loved it - so much so that we just booked our trip for the same weekend this year! :) Great weather, lower crowds, F&W plus MNSSHP - can't beat it. Plus, as the PP said, we're hoping to grab a FD discount, too.

We were there last year during Columbus Day. It was quite busy. Now, we had been going during slow times and it has been awhile since we've gone during peak times but I was surprised by how busy it was. We were there for a conference for DH being held at the Contemporary. Maybe that was partially responsible for the crowds.

And again,the conference is being held during Columbus Day weekend this year. he's skipping that one and hitting another in Orlando at the end of October. Hoping that the fact thats it's not a holiday weekend and that the conference is at The Orlando Convention Center the crowds won't be as bad :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks, all! You have confirmed my suspicions about Columbus Day. I thought the crowd calendar was to optimistic.

And thanks for the heads up about the pin. I will call today!

Last year the posts during Columbus were just about ALL complaining about the crowds. In early October there was a confluence of all kinds of special events (a marathon, Columbus day weekend, NY schools out, etc) that drove crowds way up for that time of year. Still not 4th of July crowds, but still much more than folks were expecting.

I would choose the 2nd option - there's not much going on that time of the month. We're planning the week before you for low crowds especially.

DITTO. I was there last year over Columbus Day and it was QUITE crowded.

We have our trip booked for Columbus Day...hopefully people will read how busy it is and thin out our crowds!

We have our trip booked for Columbus Day...hopefully people will read how busy it is and thin out our crowds!

Just make sure to hit rope drop. We did and the first hour or so isn't that bad. In fact, I was just going through pics and I have some of Thunder Mountain where most the trains are empty. We rode w/out getting off a couple times and the only reason they made us get off th next time is someone happened to be in our train line and it was the ONLY line anyone was in. What are the chances?

We then took a midday break most days and returned in the evening. Helped us out :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We go every year on Columbus Day and have always had a great time. The weather is perfect the decorations are lovely and I don't think it's too crowded. But we alsp like to spend lots of time by the pool.

We used to visit in October when our kids were in school but usually skipped Columbus Day weekend. Any school holiday weekend is a busy one at Disneyworld.

You will love the difference between the Thanksgiving crowds and late October. My only cautionary advice would be to skip World Showcase in EPCOT on Saturday afternoon and evening during F&W. It is crazy busy and some folks just don't know how to behave in public. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter