October 7, 2012 - California Dreamin' Coastal Cruise

For those that can see the excursions, I am wondering how much they are charging for a Sea World excursion? We were planning on getting a city pass with sea world/universal/disneyland on it. Then renting a car in SanDiego to go to Sea World. My in-laws joined us though, and that means 7 of us so we would have to rent a larger vehicle to get there (like a minivan or suv). Just wanted to compare the cost and any details on time etc.
Thank you!

I just requested to be added to the fb group :)

Speaking of excursions, has anyone been to Alcatraz before? DH and I would like to go and I think our 2 oldest kids would enjoy it, but I'm not sure about our 4 year old (almost 5) and 2 1/2 year old.

I just requested to be added to the fb group :)

Speaking of excursions, has anyone been to Alcatraz before? DH and I would like to go and I think our 2 oldest kids would enjoy it, but I'm not sure about our 4 year old (almost 5) and 2 1/2 year old.

We just went last month - we did it on our own. It is about a 5 minute walk to the terminal if that.

We found it very interesting but I do not think the younger children will understand it at all. Maybe you can let them play in the club/nursery while you go? It is definitely worth seeing. We got our tix through Alcatraz Cruises directly. It was less expensive then through DCL.

Hi!! I've jsut requested to join the FB group too!! Great idea - thanks!

We are going to do Alcatraz on our own, too. Really looking forward to that! In fact I think we are only going to do a couple of tours from DCL - the rest we will do on our own. Of course it all depends on what is available by end July when I can book tours!! I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem, though.

Counting down the days now!! :banana:

For those that can see the excursions, I am wondering how much they are charging for a Sea World excursion? We were planning on getting a city pass with sea world/universal/disneyland on it. Then renting a car in SanDiego to go to Sea World. My in-laws joined us though, and that means 7 of us so we would have to rent a larger vehicle to get there (like a minivan or suv). Just wanted to compare the cost and any details on time etc.
Thank you!

I just checked the DCL site and it is showing the following:

SeaWorld
6.5 - 7 hrs
$109 ages 3 - 9
$129 ages 10 and up
Departs 9:15 am

Hope that helps in your decision making.

Hello everyone,

We just paid in full and will be on this cruise. :thumbsup2 We're Gold CC so we will be able to book excursions, palo's shortly. It will be the ladies in my family this cruise. Besides me it will be my mom, aunt and grandma. We definetly want to do the FE! Just coming up with something creative will be my next objective :)

Disname: RaglanRoad
Traveling: Trisha, Gloria, Cindy & Mary
Cabin 6040
Dining: Early
FE - Yes
Secret Mickey - No

I just checked the DCL site and it is showing the following:

SeaWorld
6.5 - 7 hrs
$109 ages 3 - 9
$129 ages 10 and up
Departs 9:15 am

Hope that helps in your decision making.

Thanks for that! That is a alot for transportation I think.... will look into a vehicle or other option.

I'm starting to get into the nitty gritty planning details. We are a party of 9, 5 adults, 4 children. I think we are planning on going to the Zoo during our stop in San Diego. I've read that children get in free with a paying adult during the month of October. :thumbsup2 Since we're a party of 9, if we wanted to rent a car we'd have to rent a full size van to fit us all, and those don't run cheap. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to book a shuttle. I called PrimeTime shuttle and for roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal to the zoo for 9 people the fare is $130. Ouch!!

Aren't shuttles supposed to be cheaper than taxis?? I had recalled reading somewhere that a taxi from the terminal to the zoo was around $18. Since we all wouldn't fit into one taxi, we'd have to get 2, but even then, it seems like getting a taxi is the cheapest route there and back.

We have 1 child still in a booster seat and one child in a car seat. Would we need to use car seats in a taxi? When I talked to the CS rep at PrimeTime she said car seats were not required in the shuttle. Anyone know for certain?

We are planning on doing the Zoo as well, but are looking at using Old Town Trolley and
getting the tour and a trip to the zoo.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

Thanks for the info on the kids free at the Zoo. Is there anything that you need to bring to get that discount?

I'm starting to get into the nitty gritty planning details. We are a party of 9, 5 adults, 4 children. I think we are planning on going to the Zoo during our stop in San Diego. I've read that children get in free with a paying adult during the month of October. :thumbsup2 Since we're a party of 9, if we wanted to rent a car we'd have to rent a full size van to fit us all, and those don't run cheap. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to book a shuttle. I called PrimeTime shuttle and for roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal to the zoo for 9 people the fare is $130. Ouch!!

Aren't shuttles supposed to be cheaper than taxis?? I had recalled reading somewhere that a taxi from the terminal to the zoo was around $18. Since we all wouldn't fit into one taxi, we'd have to get 2, but even then, it seems like getting a taxi is the cheapest route there and back.

We have 1 child still in a booster seat and one child in a car seat. Would we need to use car seats in a taxi? When I talked to the CS rep at PrimeTime she said car seats were not required in the shuttle. Anyone know for certain?

I found this site where you can enter your location and destination and it calculates your taxi fare...

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SD

According to this, a taxi is only $13.30! Oh and I spoke with a woman from a shuttle company about the car seat issuse and she said public transportation does not require a car seat or booster. :)

Thanks for the responses mcubit and anthonysmama! The trolley tour sounds like fun and it will certainly be another option for us to consider.

The information about Kids Free days is on the zoo's webpage.

"Each year, from October 1–31, in honor of our Zoo’s founding, children ages 3–11 are admitted free to the Zoo and Safari Park when accompanied by an adult.

The Zoo’s Guided Bus Tour and the Skyfari Aerial Tram are not included with Kids’ Free entrance and must be purchased separately at the Zoo.

The Safari Park’s Africa Tram Safari and the Conservation Carousel are not included with Kids Free entrance and must be purchased separately at the Park."

Looking at the schedule and trying to pick our Palo night...thinking 2nd sea day as it will likely be semi-formal, but then got to thinking when would they do pirate night given our late departures from sf and sd? Thoughts?

Looking at the schedule and trying to pick our Palo night...thinking 2nd sea day as it will likely be semi-formal, but then got to thinking when would they do pirate night given our late departures from sf and sd? Thoughts?

My guess would be semi formal night on day 7 - After Ensenada. Pirate night I am guessing will be after San Diego. Although we leave late - there is enough time to get out to do the fireworks.

That's just my guess.

Hello all. I am still deciding whether or not we are going to do the FE on this cruise...we did it on our cruise last year and the hubby says I went a little overboard with the focus/attention I put into it...not to mention the entire extra suitcase we needed to bring in order to carry all the gifts! I am wondering how this one is going to be set up? Last year, one person took the FE organizing job and made a list of everyone's children's names, fav color, fav character, and age. I personalized items for each child in each participating stateroom as well as a family/stateroom gift. Also, what is the Secret Mickey again? Didn't hear of this on our last cruise...

Any info will be helpful! Thanks!

Hello all. I am still deciding whether or not we are going to do the FE on this cruise...we did it on our cruise last year and the hubby says I went a little overboard with the focus/attention I put into it...not to mention the entire extra suitcase we needed to bring in order to carry all the gifts! I am wondering how this one is going to be set up? Last year, one person took the FE organizing job and made a list of everyone's children's names, fav color, fav character, and age. I personalized items for each child in each participating stateroom as well as a family/stateroom gift. Also, what is the Secret Mickey again? Didn't hear of this on our last cruise...

Any info will be helpful! Thanks!

I will be honest - that is a lot for the FE. I usually list the kids names and ages on the roll call list if the cruiser wants to provide the info. Having their favorite character and color seems a bit much for a FE - but that is my opion only - thoughts?

We only do stateroom gifts - usually 2 on a week long cruise - sometimes it is more aimed at the children and sometimes it is a general item. No need to go overboard or spend a large amount of time on it unless you want to. An FE gift should be what you want to do.

Secret Mickey is like a Secret Santa. 3 items - two small and one slightly larger type gifts. The first 2 should be left secretly for you SM and the final gift at the reveal on the last sea day. The total spent should be between 25-30. (Min $25 to be fair to all participants) A SM can be a couple or an individual (the number/amount of gifts does not change if it is a couple). In the case of the SM - you do fill out a questionairre of your favorite things so your SM can give the items that fit you.

Hope this helps!

I think it is around a 4 minute walk from the pier. I have not been, but we used Old Town Trolley in Key West and they did a great job there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter