• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October 5, 2008 Wonder Cruise!

Lisaradz - DD will be 14 in April so she will be a young 8th grader. She's never cruised before. Older DD, DH and myself have cruised before.

Hi everyone !! :wave2:

I just finished re-reading the thread from the beginning, :surfweb: to review what's going on with the group. According to my calculations, we are at 102 days and counting.:cool1:

Is anyone doing any shore excursions on this cruise ? None of the DCL offerings in Nassau has grabbed my attention. I considered the guided tour of historic Nassau, but I read on another thread that DCL no longer uses that vendor, so it's not available... :confused: We don't know what to do at this port call.

However, we are seriously considering the "Personal Watercraft Eco tour at Castaway Cay" for myself, DH, and DS.

Any other ideas or suggestions for a first timer ?? Thanks -- keahi

I just finished re-reading the thread from the beginning, :surfweb: to review what's going on with the group. According to my calculations, we are at 102 days and counting.:cool1:

Is anyone doing any shore excursions on this cruise ? None of the DCL offerings in Nassau has grabbed my attention. I considered the guided tour of historic Nassau, but I read on another thread that DCL no longer uses that vendor, so it's not available... :confused: We don't know what to do at this port call.

However, we are seriously considering the "Personal Watercraft Eco tour at Castaway Cay" for myself, DH, and DS.

Bob and I are doing "on our own" excursions on Nassau - horseback riding! I've been to Nassau but haven't done this yet. Last cruise we just visited the straw market. We'll be skipping that this time.
As for Castaway Cay, I'd love to do some kayaking, but not sure if Bob will do that or not. He's leaning towards the stingrays. The only thing I did on my last trip to Castaway Cay was renting a bike because the winds were so horrible.
...so I don't know either what we plan on doing. I guess I better decide by the 7th!

We did the Eco Tour in 2006 and it was a lot of fun. DS will need to ride along with one of you since I think you have to be over 16 to ride alone. DH and I both had our own watercraft because I knew I wouldn't go as fast as he would. I wanted to do it again on this cruise but it will take over a year for my back to fully heal so it looks like we will need to plan another cruise. ;)

Annmarie

:cool1: Doing the double digit dance :banana:

You beat me to it! I won't be doing any dancing for a while so this smiley :woohoo: is the only one that will work for now.

We finally got our air straightened out through DCL. It was going to cost almost $400 per person to deviate from their air fare and we didn't think it was worth it to spend that much money for each of us so it looks like we will be stopping in Charlotte, NC going down to MCO as well as coming back. We will also be flying on US Airways so we'll try to pack light so that we won't have to pay for all of our bags to be checked. I believe their new policy is $25 for the first piece of checked luggage and not sure what the price is for the second one. Also, they are now charging $2 for soda or water.

Has anyone ever flown with a stop in Charlotte? If so, how large is the terminal? I don't think we change planes for the flight to MCO but we do for the flight back to BOS. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,
Annmarie

This is AWESOME!!! I can't wait! :cool1:
You beat me to it! I won't be doing any dancing for a while so this smiley :woohoo: is the only one that will work for now.

We finally got our air straightened out through DCL. It was going to cost almost $400 per person to deviate from their air fare and we didn't think it was worth it to spend that much money for each of us so it looks like we will be stopping in Charlotte, NC going down to MCO as well as coming back. We will also be flying on US Airways so we'll try to pack light so that we won't have to pay for all of our bags to be checked. I believe their new policy is $25 for the first piece of checked luggage and not sure what the price is for the second one. Also, they are now charging $2 for soda or water.

Has anyone ever flown with a stop in Charlotte? If so, how large is the terminal? I don't think we change planes for the flight to MCO but we do for the flight back to BOS. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,
Annmarie

How long is your layover Annemarie? Here's the terminal map: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyre...nh2luqh6v3np4f5srsdd/CLTTerminalDirectory.pdf
This might help in planning. I would think so long as you have a decent layover you should be ok. And if it's coming home, then I wouldn't worry too much - it's just work you have to go to! :rotfl:

...and it looks like this thread isn't going to work for me either today - hopefully the Boards will start getting fixed. This is going to be hard to keep up.

Sorry if I'm making this more confusing to read!

OH YEAH! :banana:

We booked the Stingray excursion at CC and the Palo brunch (I don't know if I told you about that one Channon!) DH thinks I have lost my mind, seeing as how I am all excited over 99 days to go. I feel like I should book more excursions and spa treatments because I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to book at 105 days again! :rotfl2:

Take Care Annmarie...:) Don't worry I'll throw in an extra bannana for you! :banana:

We booked the Stingray excursion at CC and the Palo brunch (I don't know if I told you about that one Channon!) DH thinks I have lost my mind, seeing as how I am all excited over 99 days to go. I feel like I should book more excursions and spa treatments because I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to book at 105 days again! :rotfl2:

Take Care Annmarie...:) Don't worry I'll throw in an extra bannana for you! :banana:

:lmao: Thanks so much! We definitely want to do Palo for brunch one day (perhaps the day at sea). We really enjoyed this on our last cruise. Otherwise, even though we are CC members, I'm not sure if we'll reserve anything else in advance. I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride a bike by then so that one may wait too. On our last cruise, we did the glass bottom boats and since it's something we've already done I'm not sure we would want to do that again. I guess I need to log into DCL and see what else is available since we will be able to sign up in a few days for excursions.

Annmarie

:banana: :cool1: :banana: Hi everyone, I'll join in the dancing too...

DH and I decided to spring for the Romantic Escape at Sea (REAS) package for us, so we were also able to book at 105 days. :thumbsup2 We ended up booking a late Palo dinner for the first night (we'll have something light like appertizers with DS and my Mom during our regular main dining time) as well as brunch. We also went ahead and booked the personal watercraft Eco tour (waverunners) on CC. Heather, I know what you mean -- I feel like I should be booking other things while I have the chance.:woohoo:

Wow, are you guys able to book things already? This is our first time on DCL so I'm not really sure about how all of this works. On other cruises we've done we always booked excursions onboard. Do I just keep checking online to see when it will let me make reservations? :confused3

Can one of the experts tell me if is really necessary to book the snorkel rental or is that pretty much always available when you get to Castaway Cay?

Sorry another quick questions, do I have to sign up for kid activities as well or do they get to do whatever is going on in the Oceaneer Club?

TIA!!!!

Wow, are you guys able to book things already? This is our first time on DCL so I'm not really sure about how all of this works. On other cruises we've done we always booked excursions onboard. Do I just keep checking online to see when it will let me make reservations? :confused3

Can one of the experts tell me if is really necessary to book the snorkel rental or is that pretty much always available when you get to Castaway Cay?

Sorry another quick questions, do I have to sign up for kid activities as well or do they get to do whatever is going on in the Oceaneer Club?

TIA!!!!

I will be signing my DGS up for the Oceaneers Lab as soon as I am able to do so. I think I have a few more days to wait as a Castaway Cay Club Member. I was wondering if there was anything else that he had to be signed up for too. I believe the extra activities (not part of OL) such as bike and float plan or anything else on CC or in Nassau would be additional but I'm sure some of the "pros" here can respond. Annmarie

More questions for you frequent cruisers!
When we reserve Palo or a shore excursion - do we pay now or does it it go to our shipboard account??

More questions for you frequent cruisers!
When we reserve Palo or a shore excursion - do we pay now or does it it go to our shipboard account??

I don't recall for certain but I think I just made the reservation and then paid when onboard. I know everything we did while at CC ended up on our final bill before checking out so I don't think you will need to give your credit card to them. As you may know, when you arrive at the port, you will provide a credit card. This will be tied to your room key so that everything you do on the ship or CC will be charged to your account. Annmarie

I don't recall for certain but I think I just made the reservation and then paid when onboard. I know everything we did while at CC ended up on our final bill before checking out so I don't think you will need to give your credit card to them. As you may know, when you arrive at the port, you will provide a credit card. This will be tied to your room key so that everything you do on the ship or CC will be charged to your account. Annmarie
Thats what I thought...I wasn't 100% sure - my last cruise with DCL was for work so I didn't get to do any of this like I am now. Just needed to see if we needed a CC now or later! :thumbsup2

Thats what I thought...I wasn't 100% sure - my last cruise with DCL was for work so I didn't get to do any of this like I am now. Just needed to see if we needed a CC now or later! :thumbsup2

Now that I think about it, when we went on one of the DVC member cruises, somebody was having a hard time logging in so I asked them for their information and made their reservations for them. I think I only needed their reservation number, cabin number and dates of births. It worked out perfectly for them and I was happy I was able to help out so I know that I did not need to provide a credit card for making the reservation. Annmarie

Well we are booked for Palo brunch on sea day and the stingrays on Castaway Cay. Forgot to ask Bob if he wanted to parasail....I think I'll have to give him a call on that one! :teeth:

Hope everyone had a wonderful fourth!!!

ETA: He chose the waverunners instead of parasailing...darn!

We are reserved for our shore exc and I got my palo res!!!!! Doing the 90 day dance!!!!:cool1: And I didnt even have to stay up till midnight...got them all this morning!!!!

Patty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter