• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OCTOBER 30th & NOVEMBER 3rd Cruises (FE and Meets)

Glad he is feeling better and the trip is still on. :thumbsup2

I would not call it a Coaster in the Thrill park sense. It would be more like a semi-fast moving lazy river ride high up in the air. only three turns: one 270 degree at the beginning which is the overhang, blink and you miss it; one 180 degree turn at the halfway point and the last 180 degree at the end (gotta get around the funnels). Ride takes about 60 seconds to complete. The most physically demanding part is climbing the stairs (about 2 stories) to get to the ride, depending on the time of day that could either take 30 seconds (no one there) or 30 minutes (everyone shows up to ride).

As far as the food, i look at dinner as one big food tasting. I order pretty much everything on the menu and then sample it all (this typically includes the "healthy", "weight watcher" dinners). Most of it is excellent and viewing it as a tasting means I probably only eat my normal amount but I get to taste it all (I will devour my favorite)

I do the same for the dessert menu even the "no sugar" versions which at times are the best ones (other times they are the worst).

PS. I gave up on the salt shaker when I was a teen and my dad had too. The only salt on my food is what is cooked with (and my wife, kitchen-chef, loves to cook). Now 47, I only see salt shakers as table decorations.

High blood pressure runs in my family too so I gave up salt as well. Salt is in our foods anyway so I have learned not to season with it...

Glad to hear that your husband is doing better and hope he will feel up to the aquaduck, I also agree that the stairs would be the only concern...

We got part of our FE gift the other day and we do have extras of most everything! I think the FE is our daughters' favorite part of a cruise, to be honest. They love seeing if there is a happy in their pocket and I hope everyone else's feels the same!

Hey, I'm in my late 30's and I loved coming back to the cabin at various times of the day to see if there was a little "happy" in our pockets. :rotfl:

I agree, my son LOVES coming back to the cabin to see what goodies are in the F/E. I really enjoy making mine so it is a win win. My daughter and her BF are joining us and he is a Disney neophyte who is BEYOND excited so I am sure we will have a 21 year old kid who will also be enjoying his FE gifts as well.

I enjoyed putting my FE gifts together as well (each part is done now, I just need to bag and tag them).

I love to give them, I just hate delivering them :rotfl2:. Last time I didn't have a very good "plan of attack" for my delivery and we ending up doing floor by floor which involved walked the entire floor - front to back - in big circles trying to deliver. It took a long time and a lot of walking!

This time, I have a plan to be smarter and group my deliveries by area (i.e. forward / mid ship / aft) - it's easier to go up and down each section in the elevator then try to roll my mom (in her wheelchair) forward and aft on the ship (especially with the carts in the hallways!).

Ilene, so sorry to hear about your dh, happy to hear caught in time and recouping for the trip. So scary when something happens like that out of the blue.

Since I did not start my FE gifts is there an updated list? The list I printed was on 9/21.

This trip is a surprise for my dh's 50th b-day, next week he'll find out the awesome news:goodvibes I'm trying to plan a scavenger hunt inwhich he'll get small clues but nothing too obvious, he'll then put the clues together to figure out his cruise gift. So far I was thinking water & a rubber ducky, nothing disney as instant giveaway. Any ideas?

I love to give them, I just hate delivering them :rotfl2:. Last time I didn't have a very good "plan of attack" for my delivery and we ending up doing floor by floor which involved walked the entire floor - front to back - in big circles trying to deliver. It took a long time and a lot of walking!

I have kids to do the deliveries. They like to do it.

How long do you think to typically receive your luggage tags & docs? I saw people posting they had received theirs, we haven't seen anything yet.
Love all the FE gift ideas. What is Disney's policy on the mini alcohol bottles? Can you bring those onboard?
Just "won" the pirate coat my son wanted on ebay-- one piece down, so many others still to procure . . . 32 days and counting.

This trip is a surprise for my dh's 50th b-day, next week he'll find out the awesome news:goodvibes I'm trying to plan a scavenger hunt inwhich he'll get small clues but nothing too obvious, he'll then put the clues together to figure out his cruise gift. So far I was thinking water & a rubber ducky, nothing disney as instant giveaway. Any ideas?

How fun for you!! :) I can't believe you were able to keep the trip under wraps. How many clues are you wanting to do?

Angela

How long will it take to deliver all the FE gifts do you think? I didn't even think about that. Is there a better time to do it?

Ilene, so sorry to hear about your dh, happy to hear caught in time and recouping for the trip. So scary when something happens like that out of the blue.

Since I did not start my FE gifts is there an updated list? The list I printed was on 9/21.

ILENE--glad you got your DH on the road to health. 2009 was our year--prostate cancer so prostate removal and quadruple cardiac bypass. DH is hale and hearty and loving life!

AUNTMEME:
Ideas that popped into my head for the scavenger hunt--

Perhaps something reminiscent of:
Life preservers - like a kiddie's swim-ring or floaties for arms or swim noodle

DREAM - like a pillow or sleeping mask

Ocean - like message in a bottle (which might hold the clue for the next place to look)

Palm trees - like a banana or coconut

Sand - like a toy shovel or bucket even doll sized instead of kid size

Snorkeling - like a real goldfish in a bowl or a plastic or magnet of a fish

A stupid one but you asked.....:upsidedow.....
Nassau - a toy saw with NA written on it in permanent marker - NA-saw

Perhaps some of his or your own trip stuff:
Binoculars
Swim suit
Suitcase
Island shirt
Shorts
Sandals (if he or you wear them)
Sunglasses
Camera
Visor or hat that he or you take on trips to sunny places
A book he keeps wishing he had time to read
Beach towel
Sun screen
The kind of glass or mug his favorite adult beverage is usually served in and/or a little paper umbrella

HAVE FUN!!
When are you springing the surprise? How did you keep it a secret? :confused:

Jan :earsgirl: JLSE50

PS: I could never pull off a surprise as DH's work schedule is so intense I would not know when he could be away and he is the Financial Wizard of our family so I would not know when or what the budget would permit. He also enjoys the anticipation as much as I do so we plan together and do not surprise each other with anything. But, that's us. :confused3

A friend of mine needed a distraction from the realities of her life so I asked her for ideas.

She said that her church camp took a picture of a photo posted in the diningroom of the old camp buildings, cut it into many pieces. They numbered the pieces, put them in zip locks and hid the picture pieces all over. People got lists of clues and went hunting. When the pieces were put together the right way then the picture was the clue.

Thanks for giving me a task to get her brain in a new place
:hug:

How long do you think to typically receive your luggage tags & docs? I saw people posting they had received theirs, we haven't seen anything yet.
Love all the FE gift ideas. What is Disney's policy on the mini alcohol bottles? Can you bring those onboard?
Just "won" the pirate coat my son wanted on ebay-- one piece down, so many others still to procure . . . 32 days and counting.

I'd call DCL about the docs. They can send another set out to you. Bringing alcohol on the ship is ok. Thats how I got my DH onto the ship. I told him we could bring his beer with us. Disney is the only cruise line I know of that will allow you to bring alcohol on the ship. I know carnival only allows 1 or 2 bottles of wine. Royal Carib allows nothing!!!

Maybe something pirate? Eye patch?

All our documents came from Disney for the cruise, I agree on calling them...

It is great that Disney allows you to bring your own alcohol on, the only restriction I saw was that it needs to be a carry on....

:thumbsup2
Wow awesome ideas thanks so much!
Can't believe I didn't think of pirate:confused3
I love the puzzle idea also
He'll find out next week which gives him about a month to clear his schedule, we're both self-employed so hopefully there will be no conflict.
Even ds has been keeping the secret, unbelievable. I thought he would slip but nope especially a couple of weeks ago when we all watched the show "funniest videos" which was filmed on the Dream.

I try to get my FE gifts done right away, they take quite a while to distribute but now since this is a new ship for us, it'll be like taking a ship tour:)

I'm wondering how many of you decorate your doors. I'm planning on putting up a few magnets and a dry erase board. Do you laminate your pictures or do you just use magnetic copy paper or magnet tape? Just trying to figure out if I'm on the right track with what we're planning on.

Also, I saw the question of how long it should take to deliver the FE's. Does anyone have any good game plans to be effecient in delivering them? As much as I love the idea for FE's I really don't want it to take away from other play time if you know what I mean:)

It's getting very exciting as we are so much closer to the actual trip!!!

I'm wondering how many of you decorate your doors. I'm planning on putting up a few magnets and a dry erase board. Do you laminate your pictures or do you just use magnetic copy paper or magnet tape? Just trying to figure out if I'm on the right track with what we're planning on.

Also, I saw the question of how long it should take to deliver the FE's. Does anyone have any good game plans to be effecient in delivering them? As much as I love the idea for FE's I really don't want it to take away from other play time if you know what I mean:)

I have 3 large size magnets left from our last cruise (they are our names filled with pictures of the ship) - every other magnet i made last time has the Ship name and/or cruise date on them so I don't want to bring them. I don't think I'm going to make any for this cruise though.

I colour printed the pictures, laminated them and stuck magnets on the back. It was easier for me than printing on the magnet paper because I only have a black ink laser printer at home so I printed in colour at work.

I've also had good luck in the past finding clear tye-tac (shelf paper) to cover stuff (it's like laminating but no heat) and that works well too.

Hmmm, maybe I will do up a few new magnets.......

Disney Cruise Line still allows alcohol to be brought on board...please be sure it's in a carry on, as that is the policy. We gave mini alcohol bottles to all the adults one cruise as part of an FE. I took 50 minis onboard, some in the FE packages, others for DH and I. I got them all at $1.19 or less. Most of our group enjoyed them onboard...one less thing to carry off the ship. I also take a box of wine on for hubby...easier to carry on, plus no need for a corkscrew or corkage fee. We just visit a bar on the 1st day and enjoy a glass of wine, and take the glasses with us to use the rest of the cruise.

30 days and counting down!

Stephanie

We decorate our door! I have many magnets from previous cruises, but I also get a few done specific to each cruise. I was lucky enough to get a few DISigners on DISboards to personalize a few designs for us. I had a coupon for a free item from a drugstore, so I ordered a magnet through them. I also have taken pictures and attached magnets to the back. For some reason, when I laminate them, the magnet doesn't always hold, so I may just put the pictures up this time, unless I just grab a few cheap magnet frames. We have put up a dry erase board at times, just to leave notes. One time, we even had Mickey Mouse sign out board...DD was thrilled to see that when we came back to the room.

For FE delivery, I have made a game out of it for DD and I. DH helps, but not his favorite thing on the cruise. I put each persons in a ziploc, then put the entire stateroom's gifts into a large gallon sized ziploc. I then put each floor into a reuseable bag. That way, when we have some downtime, we grab one bag and go. We prefer to walk each side of the ship and see the floors. On our last cruise, each floor took at most 10 minutes to do. The extra steps helps me justify an extra dessert.

28 days to get them sorted and packed. Heading the Cape Canaveral in 29 days, and we sail in 30. Woo-Hoo!

Stephanie

We never really decorated our door and our first FE as our last cruise (inaugural Alaskan in May).

Our door was decorated with all the FE magnets and it looked great, so I think we will just let the FEs have it again. :goodvibes

As for delivery, we just walked each deck after dinner one night. I find it easier to start on Deck 2 and walk the loop then go up to the next deck and do it again. Yeah, might sound boring, but we did find new staterooms and hallways we didn't notice before. Found all the laundry rooms. I just walked the hallways looking for hanging FEs and then we compared that cabin number to the list. If it was there we gave a gift, if it wasn't we then decided whether to give or not based on the FE design (generic handout :( or homemade fashionista :) ). I think it only took us about 30 minutes on the Wonder, might take and hour on the Dream.

The exercise was a nice way to walk off the dessert and leave room for the Midnight buffet. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter