October 25, 2014 Fantasy Western "The Not So Scary Halloween Cruise 2014"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense and is logical. I still have endless questions about how this ToT will work logistically. What prevents all the other kids aboard, which may see this activity, participating? And I would be reluctant to be a volunteer for our ToT activity if part of of the process was to tell 100 kids "NO" , if you get my drift. :scared1:

I would love to help in some way. I am willing to help donate funds, that's the easy part. :) I just wonder about the planning on "our" part. Will we be doing something else? I suppose as long as you inform us well in advance of the schedule, we will be there. ;) That way, nothing else will be planned for that time. Can you sense OCD? :rotfl2:
Well, I guess if you tell us when and where, on a sea day, we are there. :)
So I guess my question is somewhat moot.

Do you have a printed format of the plan of attack you could share. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I see 60 kids storming around the vessel receiving candy at 10 locations. This sounds like a recipe for a CM disaster to me. :lmao: I'm all for constructive disruption, but ...
How do we supply ONLY those kids in our group with unhealthy snacks?
Are the ToT stations in private areas, such as cabins?

Wow, I know nothing about ToT aboard. Perhaps someone could direct me to a thread or two with info. :lmao:

Only 439 days to go. :cool1:

Like I said clueless. ;)

TIA for all input.

When we all did the TOT for our 2010 cruise, It was like a scavenger hunt. Everyone met at one area to get the clue and coloured ties (essentially the kids were divided into groups, one red, one green, one orange ect) and sent off in different directions so not all the kids would be at one candy station at the same time. Where the candy stations were located, were not really in high traffic areas where there was a gazillion other kids wandering around. I didn't have any non group families ask for candy, I did have some curious eyes, but it wasn't an issue having to tell any kids "No". :) The candy is in bags, anyway, so not easy for complete strangers to tell or even know what we were doing. Mind you, once kids start grouping up in a costume, there were the odd questions about what this was about, people wondering if they had missed out on signing up for something ;), but they were cool about it when it was explained it was a DIS Group thing :thumbsup2

Yep, what she said... ;)

Don't worry, as we get closer to the cruise we'll all have plenty of information about this. If you go to post one of this thread, I added a little section about the TOT. If you click on the "click here" tab, there is a section of Jen's trip report that has a pretty good run down of how this worked. Again, each kid or small group of kids that gathered together received different clues so they would find their way to a station. So only a small portion of them would be going to the same place at the same time. Most of the stations, I think, would likely be in places where large groups of kids shouldn't be hanging out.

My suggestion is this TOT should be without costumes. I think that costumes would draw a lot of extra attention. Last time we gave each kid a sticker that identified them as part of our group. Also if a kid who is not part of the group happens upon a station and asks for candy. We could say only if your parent comes to us and says it's ok. I don't think it would hurt too much to give away a few peices of candy to outsiders as long as they have parents with them. I doubt this would be an overwhelming problem. Or if you are comfortable enough to say "sorry, but this is a private event." That should be fine as well.:goodvibes

Ron

I just copied and pasted this from "mousecations" facebook page. I must say, I'm very happy to see this policy.

New Policy on Disney Cruise Line:

Effective Nov. 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs onboard Disney Cruise Line ships. However, it is recognized that some Guests smoke. To provide an onboard atmosphere that also satisfies smokers, portions of open-air decks on each ship are designated as smoking areas. Smoking is not allowed on stateroom verandahs. Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.

I just copied and pasted this from "mousecations" facebook page. I must say, I'm very happy to see this policy.

Effective Nov. 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs onboard Disney Cruise Line ships. However, it is recognized that some Guests smoke. To provide an onboard atmosphere that also satisfies smokers, portions of open-air decks on each ship are designated as smoking areas. Smoking is not allowed on stateroom verandahs. Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.

I saw this on the Dis DCL main board. I'm so happy! I've often had bad luck with smokers smoking on the verandah next to me. To the point that I could hardly use my verandah. It will be so nice to enjoy the fresh air on my verandah. Also to be able to enjoy my morning coffee and room service breakfast out there without having to rush through it before the smokers next door came out...:goodvibes

Ron

That makes sense and is logical. I still have endless questions about how this ToT will work logistically.

Oh, definitely do not worry about the questions! :thumbsup2 You are a lot like me, I like to know everything down to the last detail.

Last time (well the first time) we did it I didn't really know what was going to work and what wasn't. While the feedback afterwards was overwhelmingly positive, there were a few things I want to tweak this time to make it an even better experience for all involved. I'm hoping having lots of feedback from each other in the group in the planning stage will help us identify any possible problems before hand so it's all smooth sailing (pun intended! :sail:) onboard!

What prevents all the other kids aboard, which may see this activity, participating? And I would be reluctant to be a volunteer for our ToT activity if part of of the process was to tell 100 kids "NO" , if you get my drift. :scared1:

Well I plan have an identifier (like stickers) we used last time so each volunteer can easily know if the kids in front of them are part of the group or not. I'm going to take the Start (first stop) so I guess I will be ultimately responsible for ensuring the kids participating (getting the stickers and clues) are really part of the group. Last time I had picked the first stop (Start) in too public of an area. We were unfortunately right next to a sign up desk for the kids club...but since the Start had been established prior to the cruise there was no way to change it at that point. am going to think long and carefully about where we will start this time. It needs to be a secluded space but also large enough to hold the entire group. I think that will be the most difficult one to figure out. I was considering outside my room (we have an aft room that has a large hallway space) but right now I am leaning towards the deck 2 lobby area in front of Enchanted Garden. Deck 2 is reasonably deserted and that is a very large space. Plenty of time still to figure it out though!

I totally understand you not wanting to say no. I think the stations will be easier to man, the kids will have a sticker or name tag or some sort identifying them as part of the group, plus they will have the paper clues that led them to that station. I think it's not hard to spot them but I definitely plan on having extra candy/treats onhand again. At the start I do try to keep a list of participators and I was checking them off the list to make sure they really belonged there. But I think the key is smart station planning. The more out of the way the stations are, the easier it ill be and less chance of rogue kids approaching the volunteers. LOL.

For those who have been on the Fantasy if you can think of a great location to have a stop please don't hesitate to let me know. :) I've been on the Fantasy and have a good idea for a few of them but more ideas will only make it easier!

I would love to help in some way. I am willing to help donate funds, that's the easy part. :) I just wonder about the planning on "our" part. Will we be doing something else? I suppose as long as you inform us well in advance of the schedule, we will be there. ;) That way, nothing else will be planned for that time. Can you sense OCD? :rotfl2:

Well, I guess if you tell us when and where, on a sea day, we are there. :)
So I guess my question is somewhat moot.

Oh absolutely! Thank you for the offer of the donation, everyone is so generous on the DisBoards, it really helped ensure we had a quality event. It only takes about an hour start to finish, and actually I think most of the kids were done in 35-40 minutes. We will definitely have the date and time chosen in advance so you will know for sure. I will try my absolute best to pick a time that is convenient for most, although DCL always has so many things going on that that is difficult to do. The big things I want to try to avoid are Palo Brunch, Princess Gathering and mealtimes in the restaurants (deserted restaurants can make great locations for a stop!). I am already leaning towards the first Sea Day idea- definitely don't want to attempt it on CC or another port day.

Do you have a printed format of the plan of attack you could share. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I see 60 kids storming around the vessel receiving candy at 10 locations. This sounds like a recipe for a CM disaster to me. :lmao:

Check out my TR, this is a short segment and has pictures that will really help give you an idea!) Here is the link to just that part:

Trick or Treat

We had 6 stops last time, I think maybe 5 this time around. Definitely had some CM around (especially right next to me at the Start last time). They were curious but nobody was questioned or confronted. Obviously if it is something DCL disagrees with we would have to stop if asked, but it goes rather quick and the way I spread out the kids last time meant there were no really big groups except at the start and finish. (Finish was a secluded area the Start was not and I will have to change that this time). There have been other groups int he past that have done it (that's how we got the idea last time), so I think DCL is aware and essentially OK with it (unless they tell us otherwise I'm going to assume that- nobody has had a problem in the past that I am aware of.)

I'm all for constructive disruption, but ...
How do we supply ONLY those kids in our group with unhealthy snacks?
Are the ToT stations in private areas, such as cabins?

Nope, no private cabins that was voted down in the last cruise since many parents had concerns about that. We just try to find the least populated open areas. unused restaurants, hidden areas ( the Magic's Aft deck was a great example) or just places kids tend to not gather (Deck 4 Promenade in a corner wouldn't be very busy). I do try to think of everything....LOL:rotfl:

Wow, I know nothing about ToT aboard. Perhaps someone could direct me to a thread or two with info. :lmao:

Only 439 days to go. :cool1:

Like I said clueless. ;)

TIA for all input.

No worries! :banana: Check out the link I posted I think that will really help you understand how we set it up. There were some ToT's that came before us, I just did a board search and read everything I could find back then. DCL's ToT was very similar, except they just gave a list of stops, no scavenger hunt clues. :thumbsup2 (can I toot my own horn? I was really happy with the clues on the scrolls, I wrote them all myself!):rolleyes1

Hope that helps and please don't hesitate to ask any questions or concerns, offer ideas etc. I am totally open to suggestion and want to make it an awesome and fun experience for all! :cool2:

I too am happy with this policy...although I know it will make things more difficult for the smokers. as a non smoker, we like to enjoy food on our verandah and the smoke is irritating to some (Ron is one). It is something I have mentioned on my comment card for years (I would have been OK with one side of the ship smoking verandahs and the other non-smoking)..but I'll take this too. :thumbsup2

I too am happy with this policy...although I know it will make things more difficult for the smokers. as a non smoker, we like to enjoy food on our verandah and the smoke is irritating to some (Ron is one). It is something I have mentioned on my comment card for years (I would have been OK with one side of the ship smoking verandahs and the other non-smoking)..but I'll take this too. :thumbsup2

I just wanted to make clear that I'm irritated by smoke. I don't smoke...

When I read that at first, I thought it said I smoked.:sick: I had to read it a couple of times to get what you were saying.

Just to be clear I don't have a problem with smokers. I just want to be able to avoid people who are in the act. And it's kind of hard to do that when in the confined quarters of a balcony other than just not using the balcony...

Ron

I've already read on facebook at the mouse cation page, where someone posted that her "friend" has already stated "I'm paying for the verandah so I'll smoke if I want to". Hmmmm, not a very disney kind of attitude.

I'm happy for this policy anyways, I believe most people will abide by it. Great news, is my own hubby QUIT smoking this past year. What an accomplishment! He was kind of a closet smoker, and never did smoke on the verandah on the ship. Our own kids never knew, when they were little, that their daddy smoked, as he agreed with me to never smoke in the house, or in front of our children :)

Hi Everyone! :wave2:
This is Vicki's daughter, Adriane. :) How are you all doing? I just wanted to let you all know that I have created a kids/teens thread for this cruise which can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=49276200#post49276200

Everyone is welcome to join! :banana: It is so much fun getting to know everyone beforehand and then getting to meet them in person the 1st day and getting to spend the whole cruise with them. :banana: (Hi Savannah! :) )

~Adriane pluto:

Sorry everyone I have been MIA for awhile. DH is TDY (not home temporarily) and we celebrated this little cuties second birthday. :cheer2:

Sorry everyone I have been MIA for awhile. DH is TDY (not home temporarily) and we celebrated this little cuties second birthday. :cheer2:

Very cute! You'll get to do that again before our cruise... But kids make time go way to quick, so it'll seem like no time at all.

Ron

Wow guys, talk about a thorough response. Amazing. I'm impressed.
Not to mention from many. I do feel this will be an amazing cruise, especially if we have such dedicated veterans offering their knowledge to all freely. :thumbsup2

I'm truly inquiring to access my potential involvement in said function. Whether that includes hosting a ToT site, or being back-up, or background assistance. I would assume there are many levels of involvement. :confused3

I would suspect being a cruise ship, and all, back-up support is needed in case of unanticipated issues, which, unfortunately is likely, if someone is unable to perform there duties aboard.

I would love to participate at any level. The initial inquiry/problem is what will we be doing during this time? :rotfl2: Of course I have come to realize if my kids are participating in ToT, then we are too. lol. Duh... :scratchin

Are more folks needed for ToT locations? Perhaps my inquires are moot? Anyway , you have another individual on the potential list now.

I get it. It makes sense. let me absorbed it, process it, analyze it, then I'll get back to you, with another set of questions. :rotfl2:

Thanks so much for the incredibly detailed feedback. :)

:offtopic:

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about the new smoking policy.
More smokers will be on deck smoking and could affect more non-smokers than if they stayed on their verandas. JMHO.
Please respond on said threads about smoking, not here PLEASE :worship:

:goodvibes

Again thanks

Wow guys, talk about a thorough response. Amazing. I'm impressed.
Not to mention from many. I do feel this will be an amazing cruise, especially if we have such dedicated veterans offering their knowledge to all freely. :thumbsup2

I'm truly inquiring to access my potential involvement in said function. Whether that includes hosting a ToT site, or being back-up, or background assistance. I would assume there are many levels of involvement. :confused3

I would suspect being a cruise ship, and all, back-up support is needed in case of unanticipated issues, which, unfortunately is likely, if someone is unable to perform there duties aboard.

I would love to participate at any level. The initial inquiry/problem is what will we be doing during this time? :rotfl2: Of course I have come to realize if my kids are participating in ToT, then we are too. lol. Duh... :scratchin

Are more folks needed for ToT locations? Perhaps my inquires are moot? Anyway , you have another individual on the potential list now.

I get it. It makes sense. let me absorbed it, process it, analyze it, then I'll get back to you, with another set of questions. :rotfl2:

Thanks so much for the incredibly detailed feedback. :)

:offtopic:

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about the new smoking policy.
More smokers will be on deck smoking and could affect more non-smokers than if they stayed on their verandas. JMHO.
Please respond on said threads about smoking, not here PLEASE :worship:

:goodvibes

Again thanks

You are so welcome! Take your time and think about it, like you said there is always room for more volunteers and you can be involved at whatever level you wish! :thumbsup2 Or if you want to just enjoy it with your kiddos that is fine too!:goodvibes

There will be a lot more info as we get closer, even into next year when we start getting into serious business planning! Let me know any time if you have any ideas!:flower3:

Mike and I will donate candy :goodvibes for the TOT, and help where necessary.

I've been thinking about the smoking policy. Unless DCL has a large enough area set aside for smokers I don't see it working very well :headache:, I will add I am not a smoker. But my son and his girl friend are. They are respectful of non-smokers. But a :idea: why don't they have smoking cabins just like they have smoking rooms at most hotels.

I posted this on the main boards, thought I would share what occurred 10/20/12 on the Fantasy eastern regarding Halloween events.

Events; Held Wednesday, St. Thomas evening

Halloween Family Deck Party, pool deck stage, 4:30-5:15pm
Family Halloween Bash, D Lounge, deck 4, 10:15pm
Halloween Costume Contest(18+), atrium, deck 3, contest judging 10:15-10:30pm, party till 11:00pm
Club Halloween w/ Guest DJ Nature(18+), The Tube, deck 4, 11:00pm-1:00am

Club; Halloween crafts, 10:00-10:30am
Lab; Halloween animation cells, 1:00-2:30pm
Club, Halloween Bash, 6:45-7:30pm
Lab, Phineas and Ferb's Best Halloween Ever, 7:30-8:15pm
Club, Halloween crafts, 7:45-8:15pm
Edge, Halloween Bash, 11:00-11:59pm

Again, no Tick or Treating , they left a bag of candy for each child under ?? y/o in the cabin, none for Adults.
Some reported candy bowls here and there throughout the ship. We never noticed.
I thought I heard of a kid's costume contest, but I don't see it specifically listed. Perhaps during the Bash's in the Clubs.

This is for the Fantasy, not the Dream, as they have tweaked those events, well as of latest reports/info. I also believe Halloween activities will cover more than 2 sailings this year on the Fantasy.

Hi all! Long time, no talk :guilty:

After a very long debate amongst this family, we have decided to change our sailing date to the Eastern Halloween cruise....for two reasons: we have done 4 westerns now and are ready for a change and believe it or not, the majority of my family prefers the magic and wonder over the Fantasy?!? :confused3

I hope you guys have a fantastic trip and Happy Halloween!

Shannon

Hi all! Long time, no talk :guilty:

After a very long debate amongst this family, we have decided to change our sailing date to the Eastern Halloween cruise....for two reasons: we have done 4 westerns now and are ready for a change and believe it or not, the majority of my family prefers the magic and wonder over the Fantasy?!? :confused3

I hope you guys have a fantastic trip and Happy Halloween!

Shannon
So are you talking about the November. 1st cruise. If so I hope to see you on that cruise meet thread. Janet plan to do a back2back. Lois

Finally got everything booked. This will be our first cruise of any kind, we are very excited.

Britton (33), Alex (30), and Presley (8) from Richmond, VA

We booked stateroom 7194

Finally got everything booked. This will be our first cruise of any kind, we are very excited.

Britton (33), Alex (30), and Presley (8) from Richmond, VA

We booked stateroom 7194

Welcome neighbor, well ... 100 mile neighbor. :cool1:

Great first post to the Disboards. :thumbsup2

Great choice for you first cruise.

We are traveling with our 2 daughters. One will 8 years old when we sail.

Another aft cabin booked. You guys are taking over the stern. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter