October 2017 Crowds

Nemo32

DIS Veteran
Hi there! I am in the process of planning an October 2017 trip and had my heart set on Oct. 16-24, because crowd predictions seem to be low. However, it falls on a relative's birthday, so as a back-up, I'm looking at other dates. I was thinking to go from Oct. 9-17. The first day is Columbus Day, but I don't plan to go into the park on that day, but how will that affect the remainder of the week? I consider myself a Dis Vet with 10+ trips under my belt and do an unhealthy amount of planning prior, so am not afraid of crowds, but would much rather not have to deal with bumping shoulders the entire time.

I considered the week before Columbus Day and going home the Tuesday after, but figured the week/weekend before would be more crowded with the long weekend. Airfare seems to be the same either way. TIA!

Anything near"ish" to a holiday don't do - go when the general mass isnt' afforded time off aka summer, holidays - enjoy your time and have fun adding number 11 to your list ;)

Well, I should be able to give you great advice........in a month and a half. We will be there the first two weeks of October this year, so I'll gain first hand experience as to whether before or after the holiday is your best bet.

October 2016 not looking so great with little onsite resort availability, EMM at MK sold out on several days already, Food and Wine especially on weekends, most nights are MNSSHP nights, fall breaks, national and religious holidays, it goes on and on.

Anything near"ish" to a holiday don't do - go when the general mass isnt' afforded time off aka summer, holidays - enjoy your time and have fun adding number 11 to your list ;)

Yes, I will be in Dis after all, so I will have fun no matter what! I may stick with the original dates to avoid potential Columbus Day issues.

Well, I should be able to give you great advice........in a month and a half. We will be there the first two weeks of October this year, so I'll gain first hand experience as to whether before or after the holiday is your best bet.

I would love to hear about it when you get back! Thanks!

October 2016 not looking so great with little onsite resort availability, EMM at MK sold out on several days already, Food and Wine especially on weekends, most nights are MNSSHP nights, fall breaks, national and religious holidays, it goes on and on.

I know it's a busy time with everything going on, but have never been for Epcot F&W or Halloween, so definitely wana go during this time. Thanks!

I was there the days leading up to and including Columbus Day last year. If I had options, I would plan to arrive the day after Columbus Day. The crowds over the weekend were pretty significant and they died off to a whisper on Tuesday. Have fun!

Can you go in late October? We went in 2014 from 10/21-10/30 and it was almost perfect. The weather was amazing and the crowds were fine. Yes, it was crowded on a non-party Saturday night in MK and Food/Wine could get packed, but it was truly no big deal. We did the Halloween Party also and loved it!
In fact we liked that time frame so much that we are going in 2017 from 10/25 to 11/3. :)

Columbus Day weekend is busy.

Over the years have done both week prior and after. IMO the week following is substantially less crowded

I was there the days leading up to and including Columbus Day last year. If I had options, I would plan to arrive the day after Columbus Day. The crowds over the weekend were pretty significant and they died off to a whisper on Tuesday. Have fun!

That was my thought. Thanks for the input!

Can you go in late October? We went in 2014 from 10/21-10/30 and it was almost perfect. The weather was amazing and the crowds were fine. Yes, it was crowded on a non-party Saturday night in MK and Food/Wine could get packed, but it was truly no big deal. We did the Halloween Party also and loved it!
In fact we liked that time frame so much that we are going in 2017 from 10/25 to 11/3. :)

I was thinking late October, but ANOTHER relative has a birthday then haha so it has to be early-mid October.

Columbus Day weekend is busy.

Over the years have done both week prior and after. IMO the week following is substantially less crowded

Ok, this is good. I think I'm going to go from Monday (Columbus Day) to the following Tuesday (9 days). I don't plan on going into the park that first day anyway. Thank you!

Can you tell me about the week of Oct 14-Oct 21? What days/parks are bad...I thought October was mid-level crowds?
This is only my second time to Disney as an adult. Last time was a few years ago in February and we really didn't worry about crowds at all...

FYI, don't expect it to be "off season." That week, this year, included several days/parks that Touring Plans rated a 10 in retrospect.

I think the hurricane messed up several travel plans and therefore crowd levels in 2016...

We were there for the hurricane and had a great time and had no trouble navigating the crowds, but we did stay in the parks until they closed and we did get up and hit 7 and 8am openings during our trip! Many people were coming in that had delayed their trip as we were heading home.

We are heading back to WDW/Universal this year and will be at WDW Oct 16-19...I am sure we know how to navigate the resort well enough to accommodate for crowds but we will certainly hope for the best!!

I was there post-hurricane and those people.were not reschedules. Fall term breaks were common in bus and pool chat.

TP is predicting similar levels this year.

I think the hurricane messed up several travel plans and therefore crowd levels in 2016...

We were there for the hurricane and had a great time and had no trouble navigating the crowds, but we did stay in the parks until they closed and we did get up and hit 7 and 8am openings during our trip! Many people were coming in that had delayed their trip as we were heading home.

We are heading back to WDW/Universal this year and will be at WDW Oct 16-19...I am sure we know how to navigate the resort well enough to accommodate for crowds but we will certainly hope for the best!!

We have been going in October for a few years now. More and more schools have a fall break. All the schools around us (southern Indiana) have a 2 week fall break, and it is crazy how many people head to Disney.

We were in MK 2 or 3 nights before the hurricane, and I have never seen crowds like before. It was the ending run of the electric light parade, but it was still crazy.

We are heading to WDW, as I type, for the first time in June in several years. Interested to see how the crowds compare.

Can you tell me about the week of Oct 14-Oct 21? What days/parks are bad...I thought October was mid-level crowds?
This is only my second time to Disney as an adult. Last time was a few years ago in February and we really didn't worry about crowds at all...

From everything I've read, the middle two weeks of October are the worst. The first and last week are pretty decent - crowds, but totally doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter