October 2014 Car Rentals.

any one ever use the name your price feature on priceline? i just feel there has to be hidden charges or something because ime seeing accepted prices of 12-14 dollars for a economy car.

I've used priceline for cars a lot. Works well at MCO because the companies they use are all onsite. I have never had a surprise when I got to the counter. You will still have all the regular fees, but those should be listed on the page before you submit your bid. So you should know total cost before you commit.

my only worry is about the shuttle. They will have 6 people, a stroller and a carseat. Lugging all that on a shuttle will be a bit much for them, I think. Plus, I don't know anything about payless. any thoughts? I use carrentalsavers all the time, great site! Just not helping me much this time!! :) Thanks for the response.

We have to use a shuttle when picking up at dulles airport. My husband gets on the shuttle and goes to the rental company and gets the car and comes back around and picks us and the luggage up. Takes a few extra minutes, but less hassle.

I've used priceline for cars a lot. Works well at MCO because the companies they use are all onsite. I have never had a surprise when I got to the counter. You will still have all the regular fees, but those should be listed on the page before you submit your bid. So you should know total cost before you commit.

I have been trying Priceline but not seeing any real savings over renting directly through the car companies themselves using codes/coupons. I think Priceline used to be the cheapest hands-down a couple years ago----but lately they seem pretty competitive with the car companies themselves. I tend to get best rates with Dollar and Budget. But struggling to get prices down for my upcoming 2-leg trip. Oct 23-25 (MCO to Port Canaveral) is $100 for 2 nights!??? And this is the lowest I can find.

On return trip after cruise Nov 1-6 (Port to MCO) is $202 with Budget. So 7 nights for $302 for a standard car.

I have been trying Priceline but not seeing any real savings over renting directly through the car companies themselves using codes/coupons. I think Priceline used to be the cheapest hands-down a couple years ago----but lately they seem pretty competitive with the car companies themselves. I tend to get best rates with Dollar and Budget. But struggling to get prices down for my upcoming 2-leg trip. Oct 23-25 (MCO to Port Canaveral) is $100 for 2 nights!??? And this is the lowest I can find.

On return trip after cruise Nov 1-6 (Port to MCO) is $202 with Budget. So 7 nights for $302 for a standard car.

Bidding on Priceline is normally not available for one way rentals.

my only worry is about the shuttle. They will have 6 people, a stroller and a carseat. Lugging all that on a shuttle will be a bit much for them, I think. Plus, I don't know anything about payless. any thoughts? I use carrentalsavers all the time, great site! Just not helping me much this time!! :) Thanks for the response.

You could have one adult go on the shuttle to pick up the vehicle.....and the rest of you grab the bags from the carousel and wait to be picked up by the rental vehicle. Then the person on the shuttle only has themselves, no luggage (but be sure they have their ID with them). The rest of the family can wait in the terminal for a phone call and be picked up as though they were visiting and the rental car driver was a local!

I've done this with my teens several times when we are all tired and just want to get to the house quickly. I go from getting off the plane directly to pick up the car (not shuttle, just across the street), they get the luggage and we chat by cell about what door to pick them up from.

I've been checking the Costco site everyday to see if I can improve on my $150 rate for October 3 - 10 (includes an extra 7 hours, early flight in, late flight leaving). As of now, no dice for me, but if you haven't booked yet, it looks like the rates are coming down. I was seeing $400 and $500 hundred across the board - I just found Alamo, Economy for $198 (all in). I have seen anything with a "1" in front of it for months!

As well, earlier today, the Budget site was showing a standard SUV was cheaper than an economy car and was coming in at $270.

Good Luck! :)

I clicked on my email Thrifty link and it put in code KISS2 and the price was around $120 before final cost for early Oct. It's a third of what my current rate is for the end of October, still waiting for that drop.

October 3 - 10
I was seeing $400 and $500 hundred across the board - I just found Alamo, Economy for $198 (all in). I have seen anything with a "1" in front of it for months!
Rates have definitely moved down for the first week of October, even if you are catching Columbus day weekend in a weekly rental. But there's still no movement if your rental is starting the 10th/11th or later. But I hope its a good sign for the rest of the month....would be nice if mid/late October came down next week.

Rates have definitely moved down for the first week of October, even if you are catching Columbus day weekend in a weekly rental. But there's still no movement if your rental is starting the 10th/11th or later. But I hope its a good sign for the rest of the month....would be nice if mid/late October came down next week.

noticed there was downward movement yesterday for Alamo & Dollar but still not as good as it was for rates I booked with mid August (budget) & early September (Alamo) for me.

The Alamo one will likely get the cancellation since it doesn't offer the 2nd driver. So many here insist the best rates come out a week or two pre-reservation. it has never worked that way for me:confused3, but wait it out again this trip and cancel last minute jik the rates drop even further.

noticed there was downward movement yesterday for Alamo & Dollar but still not as good as it was for rates I booked with mid August (budget) & early September (Alamo) for me. The Alamo one will likely get the cancellation since it doesn't offer the 2nd driver. So many here insist the best rates come out a week or two pre-reservation. it has never worked that way for me:confused3, but wait it out again this trip and cancel last minute jik the rates drop even further.

I agree the rates never drop for me either. They use to a few years ago, but not so much now. Like you I booked last month when the rates were good for a couple of days. National is horrible now, seldom see good rates there now.

Ouch...Looks like our late October rates DOUBLED today! :faint:

only a five day rental so, not a bunch of money in the "grand scheme...", but still weird to see that kind of bounce. :surfweb:

I agree the rates never drop for me either. They use to a few years ago, but not so much now. Like you I booked last month when the rates were good for a couple of days. National is horrible now, seldom see good rates there now.

They have the nicest cars, I miss booking thru them and have lost Executive but it's hard to justify paying so much more.

GrnMtnMan - :confused3 who knows? They could be using Hotwire/Priceline more to move inventory in lieu of standard bookings, especially for vans & other specialty vehicles.

They have the nicest cars, I miss booking thru them and have lost Executive but it's hard to justify paying so much more. GrnMtnMan - :confused3 who knows? They could be using Hotwire/Priceline more to move inventory in lieu of standard bookings, especially for vans & other specialty vehicles.

I agree, we also enjoy national. Still holding on to our executive status barely. We are 8 days away from qualifying for next year. We have a 14 day trip in October and a 10 day trip in November, so need to rent from national for one of them. I will pay a little more for national, but once the difference gets to be $100, then I have to move on.

I'm flying into Tampa on October 18 and staying 8 days. We have a baby and 4 adults so we rented a mini van. Thru BJ's we found a mini van for $486 with Dollar. Every other place has them no less than $1400. I'll stick with my deal, thanks :)

My Dollar rates dropped today. 10/2 - 10/5 Full Size using Dollar Express and AAA code. Went from $137 to $93.

:yay:

Need a mini van for Oct 7-15. Best price i found was $386. Anyone know a better deal?

Ouch...Looks like our late October rates DOUBLED today! :faint:

only a five day rental so, not a bunch of money in the "grand scheme...", but still weird to see that kind of bounce. :surfweb:

I'm really discouraged, watching late October and can't believe they are still way over what I'm holding at $263. For a week. There are still a few days until the last minute deals will come out, but I'm bumming. Avoiding this week next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter