October 2013 - Car Rental

Question for the AAA users - is there a reason why you would book through AAA instead of booking directly on the Dollar website if the website is actually a lower rate? Does the AAA membership get you any additional perks?
I have found that sometimes the rates are better booked from the AAA website and other times the rate is better using the AAA code directly on the rental car website. I find Hertz is usually cheaper booking through the AAA website while Thrifty and Dollar is usually cheaper when using the AAA code on the rental car site...but not always. Try it both ways.

If you are asking about using the AAA codes without actually being a AAA member, then I don't believe you get any additional perks by purchasing membership (other than those afforded you by the membership ie: road side assistance, travel planning etc)
However if you are asked to produce your AAA card at check-in and you don't have one, then you will likely default to the current rate at the time of check-in which will probably be considerably higher than the rate that you booked in advance with the AAA code.
If you are eligible to use this discount then definitely take advantage of it, if you are not then you are using it at your own risk.

FYI: I have AAA membership and have used it for discounts on car rentals and hotels on many occasions over the past 20+ years and have never been asked to show my card at check-in

Thanks - I am an AAA member (just used it last week when I locked my keys in the car while on vacation - total lifesaver). Just was trying to figure out if it got you any additional perks other than a $$$ discount (like a free second driver or something through Dollar) . It was just confusing me when I saw some posts saying that the AAA rate had stayed the same for awhile and i was wondering why people were not switching off that rate. When I went through the AAA website, it actually compared the non aaa rate (which was lower) to the AAA rate (higher) for Dollar which is why I went straight to the Dollar site. Maybe that is not true for all car rental companies, though

So I am guessing it is only the $$ discount - thanks for the info.

I just found out today than I'm in need of a rental car for a day only. I'd need to pick up in the DTD area, and the two companies I found that would suit me are Alamo (at the Buena Vista Palace) and Hertz (Marriot Village). Can anyone give me any tips on how to go about renting for just a day? The cheapest I found was around $50 which sounds really high compared to what I see here people pay for a week.

I just found out today than I'm in need of a rental car for a day only. I'd need to pick up in the DTD area, and the two companies I found that would suit me are Alamo (at the Buena Vista Palace) and Hertz (Marriot Village). Can anyone give me any tips on how to go about renting for just a day? The cheapest I found was around $50 which sounds really high compared to what I see here people pay for a week.

There is also Dollar car rental at the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista resort in DTD. Can give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Not to discourage you, but $50 per day is in the range of what I usually see for 1-day weekday rentals for work. I would definitely try for a better price, but wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't do better than $50 (including taxes and fees).

[Edit - added "including taxes and fees"]

Is $293.59 total a good rate for 11 day economy car with Enterprise? Do you think it will go down closer to dates? Leaving Oct 24.

Just booked our rental with dollar, Corporate code TB7267

Oct. 31st---Nov. 12th Standard car

$220.36 :goodvibes

Thrifty rates are down again. I just got an 8 day mid size rental for $152.07 for October 19-27 using Promo Code 5C11M. My previous rate without the code was $171.01. I hope it keeps going down!!

Just got my price down a few dollars - hopefully it will keep going down! Booked a midsize SUV for 10 days for $282. That's using the Insider and Passholder codes, although the price was the same without the Passholder code as it was after I entered it. Not sure what is in the Midsize SUV aisle, but I'll cram our stuff in there to avoid paying almost $75 more to upgrade to the next size!

Just got my price down a few dollars - hopefully it will keep going down! Booked a midsize SUV for 10 days for $282. That's using the Insider and Passholder codes, although the price was the same without the Passholder code as it was after I entered it. Not sure what is in the Midsize SUV aisle, but I'll cram our stuff in there to avoid paying almost $75 more to upgrade to the next size!

What are your dates? I'm 18-27th and can't even get a economy for that price

Great thanks! Good to see the prices are coming down!!! I have a compact with Dollar right now for $172, but lower with Alamo would be even better!!!

My National rate dropped today. I just started watching for my trip in 5+ weeks and they were around $235 base weekly rate last week and now are $194 base weekly rate. I had it booked with the KLM code, but now my regular codes are cheaper. I did use 2 of my free days instead of a coupon to bring it down further. My rental is for 18 days, so I was happy to get it under $500.

It would be really helpful if people post the car company, date,rate and codes used in there replays . Saves time having to backtrack to try and figure it out.

Thanks all and good hunting!

Alamo finally dropped for my dates:cool1: using insider login and amex one class upgrade coupon AU3ZZ2SDE (the only one I could get to work that wasn't capacity controlled).

Eight days beginning 10/5, booked midsize (standard/fullsize via upgrade coupon) under $170...beats the national rate I had approx. $240.

Alamo Insiders Savings:
  • 1 Week(s) @110.12
  • $ 110.12
  • 1 Day(s) @15.73
  • $ 15.73
Taxes and Fees:
  • Customer Facility Charge 2.50/day
  • $12.50
  • Airport Access Fee 10 Pct (10.0%)
  • $11.89
  • Tire/battery Fee .02/day
  • $0.16
  • Florida Surcharge 2.00/day
  • $16.00
  • Vehicle License Fee .71/day
  • $5.68
  • Sales Tax (6.5%)
  • $10.37
  • UNLIMITED MILEAGE
  • INCLUDED
  • Total Savings:
Estimated Total Includes taxes and fees) $169.86

Hey Kieshashadow! Are you still sitting on this reservation? Have you found anything better since then? I reserved this for my sister right after this original post and have not seen anything even close since then.

You had mentioned way back that you can switch out coupon codes (my sister does not have an Amex card)....is that possible to do yet still keep the original base rate?

Her dates are: 10/5 pick up 10 am ---> 10/12 drop off 3 pm, so it looks like "we" have the same dates as you!

Thanks!

I did a second booking today, since rates seem lower than they have been. National Emerald Aisle, using coupon code ND3265FFC for $25 off, I have 9/30-10/9 for $243.47. Hopefully they will have an SUV or Minivan in the Emerald Aisle, or a car big enough to fit 3 adults, a toddler, suitcases and a stroller - but if not I'll go over to Alamo and pick up my SUV. This is about $40 cheaper than Alamo, so I'll take it if possible.

My National rate dropped today. I just started watching for my trip in 5+ weeks and they were around $235 base weekly rate last week and now are $194 base weekly rate. I had it booked with the KLM code, but now my regular codes are cheaper. I did use 2 of my free days instead of a coupon to bring it down further. My rental is for 18 days, so I was happy to get it under $500.

Can you share what your regular codes are? Just the affiliation is fine, Emerald Club, Visa, etc. Your dates are inclusive of mine and I don't seem to be able to get anywhere near that rate unless I use the KLM code.

Alamo is significantly cheaper right now, just got my rate down $60 just now. Midsize SUV, only using Insider (price was the same when I put in the Passholder code) for 10 days 9/30-10/9 for $220. Previous price $282 yesterday.

Alamo is significantly cheaper right now, just got my rate down $60 just now. Midsize SUV, only using Insider (price was the same when I put in the Passholder code) for 10 days 9/30-10/9 for $220. Previous price $282 yesterday.

What do you mean by "insider"? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter