• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oct cruises- good and bad??

moore523

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our first Disney cruise a few weeks ago- and LOVED it! We booked on the ship for our next cruise- but are trying to decide when we actually want to go!

We're considering Oct, but being hurricane season- that really makes me nervous! Any words of wisdom? Any of the 2014 7 night itineraries going to be better than others- due to weather?

Looking for some insight from you more experienced cruisers!! Thanks!

I've cruised the last week of October for the last eight years. We love it. The weather has been pretty good except for Hurricane Sandy last year. One little hurricane isn't enough to scare us off. We are going back to October for 2014.

We cruised in October 2011. We were locked in the port until 4 am the next morning due to a cyclone that was hitting. We knew we were safe and we were having a great time. The seas were rough until around 2 in the afternoon and then it was absolutely perfect. With that said, I would cruise again in October. We are doing November this year only because the dates worked better for us.

:thumbsup2 We cruised in Oct of 2011 and loved it!!!

Yep, had a terrible storm, 18ft swells, they closed the port after us, but we still loved it. You always know there's a risk, but DCL does FAB in handling it!
They passed out motion sickness meds for those who needed it (we all had taken Bonine, and not one out of 7 of us got sick), and the captain kept telling us he was getting us out of the bad weather ASAP. And he did. Wonderful trip!
We're cruising the last week in Sept this year, so that tells you it's worth it!:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 We cruised in Oct of 2011 and loved it!!!

Yep, had a terrible storm, 18ft swells, they closed the port after us, but we still loved it. You always know there's a risk, but DCL does FAB in handling it!
They passed out motion sickness meds for those who needed it (we all had taken Bonine, and not one out of 7 of us got sick), and the captain kept telling us he was getting us out of the bad weather ASAP. And he did. Wonderful trip!
We're cruising the last week in Sept this year, so that tells you it's worth it!:thumbsup2

We were on this cruise also! Thanks goodness for the motion sickness meds (I needed them, DH & DS didn't). We loved it so much we booked the New Years Eve 2012 trip and Oct. 2013. Totally agree--it's worth it!!

we have done 2 cruises in late Sept/ Oct.
The weather was beautiful. The water was still warm.
thats our favorite time of year to go.

we had more problems in July hitting a hurricane.

we have done 2 cruises in late Sept/ Oct.
The weather was beautiful. The water was still warm.
thats our favorite time of year to go.

Agree 100% :thumbsup2

5 of our 10 Disney cruises have been late September/October dating back to 2001. We have never had an issue & have actually found the weather to be great. :dance3:

But it's the WEATHER you just never know. :confused3

We were on this cruise also! Thanks goodness for the motion sickness meds (I needed them, DH & DS didn't). We loved it so much we booked the New Years Eve 2012 trip and Oct. 2013. Totally agree--it's worth it!!

Awww..:sad: Day we didn't meet! We felt so sorry for those that did get sick, and felt bad that we were able to enjoy our whole trip, while others suffered. We do think the fact that we took Bonine that morning helped all of us immensely!
Unfortunately, the sea can wreck havoc on those anytime...so we're not gonna let the 'threat' of a hurricane change our course! So thankful for DCL's captain's wisdom and guidance. That's why we'll keep going in the fall!

and...we'll keep that Bonine handy!:goodvibes

We've sailed one of our five cruises in October (and one close in September) and it was great! We didn't have any weather problems at all.

We sailed in April of 2003, and due to storms, it turned into what we affectionately called the Magical Mystery Tour. We ended up missing Grand Cayman altogether (replaced with Disney's first visit to Costa Maya), and the other stops were on different days. It was an adventure, and we had great weather. The Captain kept us out of the storm completely.

We had to move our August cruise this year, so we moved it to October of 2014. Didn't hesitate a second!

I❤MICKEY;48125627 said:
How is the water at Castaway Cay in October. The water was too cold to go in during our Feb cruise. Hoping its better in October.

From a Floridian, it's good! We are cruising the next 2 Octobers and have cruised in Oct 2011. We can't swim at CC from Nov until June because its too cold for us.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I❤MICKEY;48125627 said:
How is the water at Castaway Cay in October. The water was too cold to go in during our Feb cruise. Hoping its better in October.

Oh my goodness...It was GREAT!:thumbsup2 So much so, that dh and dd stayed out snorkeling F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!! I was a little miffed, because I wanted to do some things...lol. They had a great time, and we had even been through a heavy duty storm a few days before!

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your responses!

Hubby and I just read through everything and I think we've decided to go for it!! So let the countdown begin, only 543 days left, LOL! ;)

I've frequently done October. Price is right, weather is usually good, and I've seen plenty of free upgrades happen on Oct cruises. It's always been at win-win for me. But I understand that there's a risk to it as well. Hard to tell if its going to be a heavy hurricane season or not.

We were also on that infamous Oct. 2011 cruise - just made for good stories. We have cruised Sept./Oct. twice and have two more scheduled. We love it! The price off sets the weather gamble.

We have cruised 3 times in october, once during Sandy. Would go again in October. It is the weather you never know.

Just take extra comfy shoes we got soaked getting back on the ship from port 4 years ago and DH had to wear flip flops or dress shoes the rest of the cruise.

My hubby and I were also on the Fantasy for the hurricane Sandy cruise. We are traveling the exact same time this year on the Magic and are not concerned at all. It's usually perfect, and like those before me have said, one miss won't scare me off. Statistically, this is the best year to go late October because the chance of a big storm like that happening again on the same exact days is microscopic. :)-

After the experiences last fall, DCL will be avoiding all storms throughout the 2014 hurricane season. ;)

Book away, for fall 2014. :)

Yet still, as always, consider insurance. ;)

Our last cruise was in October. We had one really stormy day and had to be inside all day. The waters were really choppy. The rest of our trip was overcast with occassional sun but we still had a great time. We were on the ship at the tale end of Irene. See my trip report in my signature. Weather was humid and in the mid 80's except for the rain day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter