Oct 30 2010 7 Night Western

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Fish Extender Questions

What is a Fish Extender?
Everyone wants to know what a fish extender is, and the answer is simple. . . it is something that you hang off the fish that is next to your stateroom door. The fish actually is part of the ship, put there so that DCL Cast Members can leav you mail or messages. By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.

What does it look like? And where can I get one?
The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plane. Some are store bought, some are homemade and many are bought on ebay (search on "disney fishextender" and you will get options ranging from $15 to about $35 - the higher priced ones are normally personalized for your family).
You do not need to go over the top to join in for this fun exchange! Many are now opting to simply hang a single bag (or a small tote bag) on the fish extender and they still have just as much fun!

Size does Matter!
You need to make sure your Fish Extender is no more then 8" wide.

Why do I keep hearing about Fish Extenders?
Many of the DisGroups arrange the Fish Extender Exchanges. Everyone that would like to participate will sign up by a deadline. Normally the deadline will be about 2 - 3 weeks before we sail. This allows everyone ample time to pre-buy what they want to exchange, even if you are adding a stop to Walt Disney World before we sail.

If my group has three staterooms, do I get 3 Fish Extenders?
Some people choose to leave one item per stateroom, so I would recommend you have one for each stateroom, but, there are no set rules!

What do we exchange?
Pretty much anything goes here! Some of the things people have given are:
- - - Magnets from their home state
- - - Anything Pirate
- - - Anything Disney
- - - Anything with our cruise sailing dates on it (pencils, pens, candy . . . )
It isn't about how much you spend, it is about the fun in exchanging and seeing what you get!

Who can join?
Anyone and everyone! Even if your stateroom is 2 adults, you can join and have just as much fun!

What is the next step?
Once we get a volunteer to handle the exchange, we will each provide that person with our info. You will turn in: Your Stateroom number, Number of Participants and ages of each person involved. If the group that wants to play gets to be too large, we might split into more then one group. You will most likely get told the day you are to deliver your gifts so that not all gifts come the same day.

When leaving a gift, do we identify who it is from?
This is totally optional. We have gotten them both identified and unidentified. I personally prefer to know who it is from but each person can decide for themeselves.

Will we have to walk all over the ship?
If the group gets to be too large we will most likely split the group up by location. If we end up being one big group, I suggest you break up your items by stateroom number before leaving home. Use large ziploc baggies - the empties can be used for so many other things - maybe even bringing your FE items home!

Do people carry all their gifts in their suitcases?
You can ship your items down. They must arrive by the day before you sail and contain no food items (they will get snagged by the dogs and get held up). Make sure you packaged addressed exactly how your name is in your reservation and it will be in your stateroom when you get there (even before your luggage!).

I'm just curious, how did this Fish Extender idea get started?
The idea was the brainstorm of DisBoard member EpcotKilterFan (Debbie). For the first Magical Sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for Disboard members to exchange gifts. Apparently a lot of people agreed with her!

Anything else I need to know?
Yes, this is your vacation! You do not have to feel obligated to join anything you don't really want to do! You can join everything or nothing at all!

Here are some examples:

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Here are some examples on things people put into the Fish Extenders:

LootIdeas.jpg

Instructions to make a "no sew" Fish Extender:

After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric (two colors – one yard each)
Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard
Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think that’s all. I’ve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joann’s Fabrics.

BY disgirl83

I didn't book until I was onboard. With the dates opening up just 2 weeks before, and the big push being the Med cruises, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue. I was even able to get our same stateroom - this will be the 4th time in that room - maybe I will soon learn my way around! :lmao:

Remember - the trick is all in following the anchors on the hallway carpets ;)

We were going to take one of the secret verandas, but then figured that the difference wasn't that great to keep us from going to a full veranda. Btw, last time I checked, all four secret veranda rooms were still available for anyone interested.

Remember - the trick is all in following the anchors on the hallway carpets ;)

We were going to take one of the secret verandas, but then figured that the difference wasn't that great to keep us from going to a full veranda. Btw, last time I checked, all four secret veranda rooms were still available for anyone interested.

have you been on with the new carpet? i think they changed it up to trick us more!

Sure, I was on the week before you. I didn't see the difference. How do you think it changed?

i was hoping i could claim it changed cuz i have yet to figure that out either!! im just going to always be lost - or - ill have to cruise more!

can you tell me how it is supposed to help you?

Hello everyone! My mom is PhotoLisa -- she posted a while ago giving our general plan! Cruising with us will be myself, DH, Jordan(DD-10) and Bryce(DS-6). DH and I will be celebrting our 10th Wedding aniversary and doing a Vow Renewal. I am so very excited for my Vow Renewal (we didn't have a big wedding when we got married 11/7/00).

Also cruising with us is my mom and step dad, my Nanny, dad and step mom, and a good friend of my husbands. We have more people that are saying they want to come but you know how that goes. If we have new additions I will add them then.

I can't wait to start planning this cruise! Our last cruise was in Feb.08! It seems like forever ago!

We are in room --6616
Main Dining
From Houma, LA
Celebrating our 10th aniversary and vow renewal

Hello everyone! My mom is PhotoLisa -- she posted a while ago giving our general plan! Cruising with us will be myself, DH, Jordan(DD-10) and Bryce(DS-6). DH and I will be celebrting our 10th Wedding aniversary and doing a Vow Renewal. I am so very excited for my Vow Renewal (we didn't have a big wedding when we got married 11/7/00).

Also cruising with us is my mom and step dad, my Nanny, dad and step mom, and a good friend of my husbands. We have more people that are saying they want to come but you know how that goes. If we have new additions I will add them then.

I can't wait to start planning this cruise! Our last cruise was in Feb.08! It seems like forever ago!

We are in room --6616
Main Dining
From Houma, LA

Welcome!!! I am very excited that you will be joining us! This is going to be a fabulous cruise!:cool1:
Kristen

can you tell me how it is supposed to help you?

The anchor design is split in blue and red. One way points to the stern, the other to the bow. I always forget which is which until i get on board.

We are in room --6616
Main Dining
From Houma, LA

Welcome aboard! And congrats on your pending anniversary celebration.

We just booked a second room for my mother and our 24-year old daughter. We're hoping our son can join us as well, but we won't know that until next year. He plays competitive Ultimate Frisbee and the nationals are usually that time of year in Sarasota FL. It's too early for the 2010 schedule. We're hoping it's the weekend before.

We are in room --6616
Main Dining
From Houma, LA

yeahhh more Louisiana people. We'll be sailing a bit after our 10th anniversary (10/21/00) but I'm hoping to talk my husband into doing something special anyway. :rotfl2:

Hi Everyone!
Any room for cruisers from Toronto, Canada?

We cruised for the 1st time in October 2008, and booked this Halloween 2010 cruise only 5 days after we got back! Every day since we returned, all we do is talk about the cruise, what we did, what we would do differently, etc.

This 2010 cruise, I will be travelling with my DH, two DS, and DD, our nanny & my mom. Our cabins are mid-ship, Deck 7.

CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!
Any room for cruisers from Toronto, Canada?

We cruised for the 1st time in October 2008, and booked this Halloween 2010 cruise only 5 days after we got back! Every day since we returned, all we do is talk about the cruise, what we did, what we would do differently, etc.

This 2010 cruise, I will be travelling with my DH, two DS, and DD, our nanny & my mom. Our cabins are mid-ship, Deck 7.

CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!

Hi and welcome:cheer2:

There is definitely room for cruisers from Toronto :thumbsup2 :) We actually were in Toronto several years back and loved the city. How old are your children. We will have a DD 12, DD 6, DS 8 and DS 3. We are going to be going on a 4 nite cruise this Dec 7th and can't wait! We are really looking forward to this cruise too and are looking forward to cruising during Halloween!

Vicki

Hi Vicki - at the time of sailing my kids will be:
DS - 11, DS - 9, DD - 7. Based on their ages, they will all be in different disney clubs.

This last sailing, the two younger one's were together, so I didn't worry about them making friends. This time, I think my daughter might have an issue, where she won't want to stay in the kids club, if she doesn't know anybody.

My DD will be 7 weeks from being 8, so I'm hoping I could bump her up into the next level. Looks like our older kids may meet in the club!

Our cabins are mid-ship deck 7 with a LATE seating. Hope to meet others there who are part of this group....

DS - 11, DS - 9, DD - 7. Based on their ages, they will all be in different disney clubs.

This last sailing, the two younger one's were together, so I didn't worry about them making friends. This time, I think my daughter might have an issue, where she won't want to stay in the kids club, if she doesn't know anybody.

My DD will be 7 weeks from being 8, so I'm hoping I could bump her up into the next level. Looks like our older kids may meet in the club!

Our cabins are mid-ship deck 7 with a LATE seating. Hope to meet others there who are part of this group....

welcome aboard! i will update your info first chance i get . . . :thumbsup2

Anyone rechecked the price of their cruise yet. It looks like mine has gone down over $100. It maybe the fuel surcharge that has been dropped. I am going to check with my TA!

I haven't, but I have to call DCL to fight with them. We added a 2nd stateroom. within 30 days from the end of our cruise. Jocelyn, who was the DCL rep onboard, told us that if we added rooms within 30 days, they would get the same deal. It turns out that the certificate only says they get the OBC. A number of people on our cruise heard the same thing. I hate to think that someone from DCL is guilty of questionable sales tactics.

I called DCL and asked them if i could add an addition stateroom to my ressie and they said no, i could not get the same deal as i did onboard.

That sucks. We are lucky in that we know we will not be changing the number of rooms we need (unless of course someone upstairs has a sense of humor and I get pregnant with multiples......) We are still debating our dinne seating. Right now we are set up for late (with the thought that we would feed DS, put him in the kids club then enjoy a quiet meal). I'm just not feeling totally comfortable with this idea but I'm waiting to see how our little guy matures between now and sailing time.

Welcome to the thread! We are also mid-ship 7 but are eating in the Main seating. My DD will be 9 when we sail and we are sailing with friends that will have a DS 9 and a DD 7, so there will be pals in the clubs!!:)

Hello all, and Happy Holidays!:banana:

Work has been crazy, so I haven't had any time to post, but I wanted to thank Disney for removing my fuel surcharge (for now)!!!:cheer2:

Also, since the end of the year is quite hectic at work, I wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very blessed Holiday Season and a Happy and Health New Year!

I hope to see more members to the board soon!:)

Kristen

Hmm tell me more about fuel surcharges... I booked with dvc for 3/4 passengers... would we see any savings????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter