Oct 14-17:A Solo Trip to Disneyland! Day3: Single Rider Shuffle

Well done with getting your FP and on to TSM! I know what you mean about listening to others around you discussing their strategy which you know won't work. I usually can't keep myself from saying something either... I always try to offer just the most vital information because I am afraid of being too intrusive. But most times people are very eager to know more and keep asking questions and are really glad to have someone who can offer some insight...

If you check the ride strategies forum you see this topic brought up a lot. During my June trip I noticed that WDW were letting in the FP line at about a 3 to 1 ratio to standby. That I think is why the WDW standby times can be so rediculous.

Yes, FP really inflates wait times for many attractions. And it also depends on at what wait time people aren't willing to get in line any more. I think this might also be a difference between DCA and DHS. The DCA guests are made up much more of locals who are not willing to wait for ages to get on the ride because they know that they will be back soom. I am sure DHS has a much higher percentage of guests who think they won't be back for at least a few years, so they are much more willing to suffer very long waits.

Well, you know me. Mr. Know-it-all to the rescue. :laughing: I really did try to restrain myself but after they started talking about showing up right before WOC started I had to say something.

I know the feeling.

Still, I could have made a total **** of myself if anything were to go wrong.

I think you only needed 3 *'s to cover this. :rotfl:

Two minutes later this was the line waiting to get in.

IMG_2992.jpg

Ay carumba! Wow, you have still maintained your ability to stay just ahead of the crowds. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to learning a little more about World of Color.

It is super popular at DLR but really the only thing that gets over an hour in Stand-by is Space on a visit timed in off season. TSMM is the one ride that people complain about waiting in line the most as far as non FP rides. I have heard of the TSMM being well in excess of an hour during high season but nothing like the 200+ wait times I have heard you guys get at WDW.

If you check the ride strategies forum you see this topic brought up a lot. During my June trip I noticed that WDW were letting in the FP line at about a 3 to 1 ratio to standby. That I think is why the WDW standby times can be so rediculous.

Yes, FP really inflates wait times for many attractions. And it also depends on at what wait time people aren't willing to get in line any more. I think this might also be a difference between DCA and DHS. The DCA guests are made up much more of locals who are not willing to wait for ages to get on the ride because they know that they will be back soom. I am sure DHS has a much higher percentage of guests who think they won't be back for at least a few years, so they are much more willing to suffer very long waits.

Ahhhh! Makes total sense! Thanks for the input/info everyone.

I've seen over 100 minutes for TSM in the off-season at WDW, but once you get inside the line is MUCH shorter. I think part of it is a trick to filter guests to over areas!

Day 3: Part 6 - Single Rider Shuffle

With my arm a bit numb I exit Toy Story Mania to face the huge crowds that had gathered in this area along the boardwalk. I still had one more trick up my sleeve since I was a Solo traveler at Disneyland.

The Single Rider Pass.

Conveniently the ride ride next to me, California Screamin', has a single rider line available. To use it is not exactly intuitive however. Walking over I do not see a seperate entryway or any signage. There was a helpful CM standing at the entrance who pointed me to a case of cards hanging nearby. Grabbing one the CM tells me to go to the ride exit and go all the way back to where the rollercoaster unloads.

Feeling a little wierd I head back and discover this sign.

IMG_2998.jpg

You wait here at a gate until a CM tells you its OK to go. You then cross through the coaster unloading area and get on an elevator going up to an overhead crosswalk. Then you get on a second elevator that puts you in the coaster loading area where you wait. Got all that?

Now a CM will allow people to load from the standby line. If there are openings then they will tell you which row to go to. It may seem like a lot of hassle but it really isn't once you know the process. At the time standby was approaching 30 minutes and I managed to be loaded in less than 5.

Once again I loved the launch right next to the lake and the cool air with a bit of mist perked me right up.

With all of my tricks used up this morning let's see how I did...

At 6:40 a.m. I arrived at the park.
From 7:00 a.m. until 10:10 a.m. I managed to do the following:
Peter Pan
Snow White
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Pinnochio
Tea Cups
Matterhorn
Dumbo
Its a Small World
Fastpass BTMRR and then ride it.
Toy Story Midway Mania
California Screamin'

Toss in that 45 minutes of those three hours were waiting for DCA to open and getting a pass for World of Color. :cool2:

With my touring plan completed it was now time to ease up a bit. Strolling out of the boardwalk area I see this near Ariel's Grotto.

IMG_2999.jpg

What in the world? I decide to follow the signs.

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

I have to admit I did hear something about Duffy the Teddybear on the DisBoards right before my trip but I really didn't know anything about the backstory. You really have to admire the Disney advertisers on this one. Promoting the cruise line as well as a comforter for little children away from home...genious! At the end of the line you can meet Duffy himself.

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

I did not get in line to meet him myself but a nice CM gave me a couple of stickers to bring home to my kids.

Moving along I had an idea that it would be nice to pick up a fastpass for Tower of Terror. It's a few minutes walk through a Bug's Land to reach the ride when I see that the line wasn't all that bad. TSMM and WOC passes must have still been keeping large numbers of people in those parts of the park. Grabbing my pass first I get in line.

IMG_3008.jpg

10:15. Man I'm on a roll! Fifteen minutes later I enter the dark basement and get ready for another thrilling ride. Looking up I see a hidden Mickey made by the spotlights on the ceiling.

IMG_3005.jpg

Waiting at the elevator door.

IMG_3006.jpg

The slow shutter speed helps make my fellow riders look a bit "otherworldly" as well. Now the CM joins us and there is the usual banter between nervous riders and us veterans. One standout was a lady in a black shirt who kept murmuring to her companions that she was freaking out. This little girl turns to her and says in a loud high pitched voice - "It's my fayvowit!" This started all of the Vets laughing and the newbies looked a bit chagrined after that.

Here is the low cost ride photo afterwards.

IMG_3007.jpg

With another sucessful thrill out of the way I backtracked through Bug's Land so I could get back around into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. Just as I pass It's Tough to be a Bug what do my eyes behold? Just two of my favorite Donald Duck antagonists Chip n' Dale!

Quickly jumping in line, which again wasn't all that long, in minutes it's my turn. The CMs had a bit of difficulty using my camera and I have several pictures of me looking at Chip (maybe Dale?) or very jittery images of the ground. Eventually everything comes together.

IMG_3009.jpg

That's a lot done, right? Still it's not even lunch time yet and there are more parts of the park yet to be seen.

Next Up: Helloooo! Is this mike on?

Yeah, that's a lot done! I'm enjoying following along.

I'm surprised the cast members had trouble with your camera....were they Photopass people? Usually if I try to explain it to a Photopass photographer they look at me over their glasses like, "yeah, I know how to operate a camera".

Yeah, that's a lot done! I'm enjoying following along.

I'm surprised the cast members had trouble with your camera....were they Photopass people? Usually if I try to explain it to a Photopass photographer they look at me over their glasses like, "yeah, I know how to operate a camera".

Thinking carefully I believe it was an accidental hitting of a button and they started drilling down some on-screen menu options. They would start taking a picture and see a menu pop up and wonder what had happened...even though the picture took. They figured it out.

Lots more done! That single rider line is a trip! I guess once you do figure it out, it doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore, but wooo for that first time!!! :confused:

Duffy the bear??? New one on me, but a nice gift for Mickey I guess!!! :laughing:

And :woohoo: for the pic with Chip and Dale! Two of my personal faves also!!! :cool1:

Lots more done! That single rider line is a trip! I guess once you do figure it out, it doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore, but wooo for that first time!!! :confused:

Duffy the bear??? New one on me, but a nice gift for Mickey I guess!!! :laughing:

And :woohoo: for the pic with Chip and Dale! Two of my personal faves also!!! :cool1:

I'm sure the CM in front of California Screamin' has to answer a lot of questions for the single rider line. I think they would have been better served just creating a walkway next to the standby line to ease the workload on 3 CMs.

Duffy had been only out a few weeks before I arrived. I had only heard a few blurbs about it on the Disneyland forum but didn't pay much attention. The little kids seemed to be really excited to see him so it must have had some success.

Finding Chip and Dale really capped a great morning. At this moment I was flying high on Disney Pixie Dust.

That picture is hilarious! Look at that little girl, arms up even!!!!

And wow, oh wow-you got a TON done!!! :dance3:

It looks like we've found Daddy's Little Daredevil! :rotfl: Maybe in a few years she will be Daddy's Little Handfull. :laughing:

That's a guy! He's got a mustache and....... Oh, I'm sorry, you meant the one on the left!!! :lmao:

So easy to toss fruit from the stands. :duck: Glennbo's trip report comes to mind. :rolleyes1 Which reminds me...I need to comment on your report. :stir:

So easy to toss fruit from the stands. :duck: Glennbo's trip report comes to mind. :rolleyes1 Which reminds me...I need to comment on your report. :stir:
Who? Me? :confused3 ;)

Just came by to check in and see if I've missed anything. Guess you are busy like the rest of us!

BTW, new round of contest questions up on my TR! Redemption time???

Hey Tom! Just came by to check in. I am catching so much abuse for work keeping me away and not getting updates done! I won't be mean like everyone else on the DIS and do the same to you though! :rolleyes1

Miss you man! You didn't get frozen in carbonite or something did you??? :confused3 Hope all is well with you and your family and it is just work like me! Hope you are back with us soon!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter