Ocho Cascadas- II Exchange

skippelm

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Has anyone been to Ocho Cascadas in Puerto Vallarta? It looks amazing, but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

Thanks!
Sara

I haven't stayed there, but in November we stayed in a villa that was located at the base of the hill that Ocho Cascadas sits atop. It does indeed look amazing. I'm told it's pretty difficult to trade into that place, but I don't actually have any first hand knowledge of that.

The downsides to the area are that it's in a residential-type section of town, and away from the beaches. It's a $3 cab ride to the old town, and more to the malecon. Walking would be impossible, as the hills are extremely steep. But a $3 cab ride isn't very much, cabs were plentiful, and it was nice to be just outside the action. We absolutely loved our place, and based on the reviews at TUG, Ocho Cascadas is even nicer.

I haven't been to this resort myself, just read some TUG reviews. Here are a few comments that may make a difference to some people:
  • hot & humid, May thru Sept.
  • long, steep walk up to most rooms, many stairs (some take a cab up to the top & walk down to their room!)
  • no A/C, ocean-facing wall absent, completely open for breeze, view & atmosphere
  • mosquito netting over beds, but may block breeze from ceiling fans
  • a bat may enter a condo (open wall) & leave droppings
  • 10 stories - each unit has a private balcony with small pool or hot tub & sundeck
  • flowering vines and shrubs overhanging balconies
  • daily maid service included
  • resort discourages stay by guests under age 16
  • very young children are not allowed to stay at this resort (open balconies) - check age before confirming
  • masseur and/or chef available for hire to your condo, a la carte
  • reputation for good maintenance & beautiful surroundings

All that said, the photos are quite pretty, the reviews are positive overall & I would definitely consider a couple-only trip to this resort with DH (no kids). HTH! :)

If you want to try it, I'd do so in the next couple of years as I believe it's nearing the end of it's ownership and will revert to someone in about what 8 years or so if my memory serves me correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter