• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oceanview vs Verrandah

lpk29

Mouseketeer
If you have had a verrandah before have you ever gone back to an oceanview room. we are thinking of taking a 3 night and there is about a $400 difference in the 2. i have only had a verrandah room so i have no experience with the oceanview rooms

pros/cons to both

I don't have an answer for you now, but will in Oct.
We had a veranda on our last cruise and are now going back to oceanview.
Our room does have the 2 big portholes though. (Stateroom 5022 on Dream)

We had gotten the room with the veranda on our last cruise bc we thought we would sit out there while our DD (9months at the time) was napping. We wound up not using it as much as we thought. She napped a lot in her stroller.

We went from a verandah to an inside room. It was all we could afford that year. We did not mind it at all. You're on the ship right! Haha! As long as you have the split bathroom on the oceanview. 400$ will go a long way towards your OBC.

If you have had a verrandah before have you ever gone back to an oceanview room. we are thinking of taking a 3 night and there is about a $400 difference in the 2. i have only had a verrandah room so i have no experience with the oceanview rooms

pros/cons to both

We did a verandah our first cruise and, while it was great, we didn't use it all that much. That being said when we booked our 2014 trip we intended to get ocean view but for a 7-night there was only a few hundred dollar difference so we went verandah again. For our KSF trip next month we booked ocean view. $400 for 3 nights seems too much to me. It's a short cruise and there is sooo much to do. Unless you're convinced that you'll want to do nothing but sit out there I'd go ocean view.

We have done that too. We have had veranda rooms twice, both times there were smokers near us and it sort of ruined it. With the ocean view, it's something you don't have to worry about. We have actually had a totally inside room with no view whatsoever, and didn't mind it at all.

We tried an ocean view after having a verandah, and both of us felt claustrophobic. The verandah has spoiled us, but DH and I spend a lot of time vegging out there.

It's sort of like staying in a deluxe Disney hotel. Once you've been there/done that, it feels like something's missing when we stay off-site.

YMMV.

In my opinion the oceanview room is completely adequate and I do not pay extra for a verandah. But I spend little time actually in the stateroom. I use it as a place to dress, shower and sleep, not hang out and chill.

There are others who do not at all like the idea that they cannot sit or step outside while in their stateroom. Many of them enjoy spending time to themselves in the stateroom.

I can honestly say, every single time we have had a veranda, we always feel we didn't use it enough. There's so much going on that we want to be out and about. Save the money, especially on a short cruise.

If I had a choice I would pick veranda all the time. I love being able to be out there at all hrs of the day. But if money was an issue and it was ocean view or no cruise. I'd choose ocean view. I'd sit on the deck. At least I'd be on board.

We have had veranda, ocean view and inside. Now we only book inside rooms and save the money for more vacations. We do not feel we are missing a thing by having the inside room. Now with the Dream and Fantasy having the live picture windows of the outside it is almost the same as the ocean view.

We have had inside rooms on other ships, and never had a problem. We have had a verandah on the past 2 disney cruises, and if the price was the same, i would choose verandah. However, since there was about a $1500 difference on our mediterranean cruise, we did OV. I hope it will be fine. I can't imagine it ruining our cruise. I am sure there may be a few aspects we miss (like putting our swimsuits out to dry) but honestly, we never spent a lot of time on it anyway.

I don't think I'll cruise without a verandah. I got very sick the first night and spent a good part of the second day in the room. At one point I sat on the verandah for about an hour to calm myself, it helped considerably. I suppose if the only way I could go on cruise that I had my heart set on was in an oceanview, I'd go....but I'd probably spend every day trying to figure a way to bump up to a verandah.

lpk29 said:

pros/cons to both

If you are a 'I only use the room to shower, change, and sleep' person then I think even an inside is fine. I'm more of an introvert, don't like to be out, about, and busy all day, and love time to myself away from crowds so a verandah is perfect for me. It would be worth the extra $400 on a longer cruise for sure. Not sure on a 3 night because I might not even get to use it. I like to be in my room I don't spend 100% of my time there. I think an ocean view on a short cruise makes more sense given the price difference. To me $400 is a lot for a 3 night.

I've only done 1 cruise and felt that I should splurge with a verandah. We didn't use it as much as I thought. It was chilly a few days so I didn't go out there on those days. I enjoyed it, but didn't stay out more than 15 minutes or so when I went. I anticipated using it during nap time as well, but really didn't. I did like being able to see when the sun came out in the morning, so I booked an oceanview for the next cruise. It's Alaska, so although I want to experience the views, I don't want to feel the cold. I would save the money. That difference would pay for your gratuities.

In the Caribbean, and especially on a short cruise, we've switched back to oceanview and are perfectly happy with it. You get plenty of light and can see quite a bit. It's always too hot and humid for me to spend much of any time on the veranda during the day. I might go out for a minute in the morning or after dark, but it's really not worth a whole lot of money for me. I can always just go up on deck if a want a bit of sea air.

Traveling with my mother who is 70 and I anticipate her hanging out there reading while myself and the kids are on deck enjoying AquaDuck. I think it's a $200 upgrade from my current cat 9a so I think we may go for it!

pros/cons to both

Yes. We went from a verandah on our first cruise to an obstructed view porthole (SPH) on our next 2 then back to a verandah on our last cruise. We originally booked the SPH room again for our 4th cruise and the only reason we upgraded was because they briefly had a price adjustment on the verandah cabins (on the 2011 Med cruises) that made it less than $400 to go from the Cat 10A to the Cat 5C - and it was for a full week so for $55 / night it seemed worthwhile. Verandahs are NICE but IMO are not worth an additional $133 / night - especially on a short cruise that doesn't even have a sea day!! We would book OV again without hesitation - especially if we ever did another shorter cruise. :thumbsup2

We've done all three types (V, O and I) and would do any of them again. Our preference is a verandah as we do spend quite a bit of time on it, especially in the mornings and evenings. But each person has to determine if the price difference is "worth" it for them. Some would rather spend money at the spa, on a cabana, bingo, souvenirs, Remy, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter