Oceanview vs. Verandah

AddiLovesPluto

Earning My Ears
Hello!

This is our first ever cruise ! We are booking a 7-day on the Fantasy, the difference in price is about $500. We are adults only. Would you say it's worth the price?

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd save the $500 and go with oceanview. Sometimes the price difference isn't that much where I might justify going to a balcony, but $500 is a lot of drinks or excursions!

We don't like hanging out with other people and make use of our verandah. To us that is worth the $500. We also bring our own alcohol and typically do not do excursions, either through Disney or on our own.

We would definitely take the Verandah over an oceanview for $500. One of our favorite things to do on our first cruise, was to order some light eats and a pot of coffee for an early breakfast, sneak out onto the verandah while our kids were still sleeping, and watch the sun rise while sipping coffee. It was an amazing hour or so of pure relaxation every morning. Well worth the $75/day or so.

Last edited:

I would do it for the price difference per day for that one. If it was much more than that I'd seriously think about the ocean view. But you should really think about how much you think you'll use the verandah.

We love the verandah and 18 of our 19 cruises have been with a balcony room.
But when we made a last minute switch last year, we went with Oceanview because the price for the verandah was so high.
The room was great, we didn't mind the big window at all.
Just booked 11 night 2021 Greece cruise on Monday, definitely picked a window over the verandah due to cost.
Either way, you will be happy.

Hello!

This is our first ever cruise ! We are booking a 7-day on the Fantasy, the difference in price is about $500. We are adults only. Would you say it's worth the price?

Thanks!

$500 for a 7-night. That is only $71.43/night. On the Fantasy, we always get a veranda for that reason. On the Magic & Wonder, we always pick an inside for the same reason. For a 7-night Alaska, the difference was ~ $2K on the Wonder.

Agree with the posters who point out the (relatively) small difference.
When that difference soars, it's more of a judgement call.
But, be forewarned - since it's your first cruise, and you go for the verandah, you WILL probably always want one. 😊

You know your own priorities. My DW likes easy access to fresh air so we've only ever considered verandah.

It really is up to you and your finances. If it means scrimping on things like excursions, souvenirs etc then I say ocean view. We like both them both. We are the kind that are only in our room to sleep and shower so in a way ocean view is best for us.

Is it one of the cruises that has three days at sea? If so I would definitely do the balcony as you will get a lot of use out of it. For itineraries that don’t have many days, like the Mediterranean, I think a balcony is a waste of money.

We don't spend a lot of time on the verandah during the day as we found it just too hot in the summer time in the carribean. However, it was very nice around sunset and the morning. We just booked an oceanview because we have young kids that like to climb stuff. So we were worried for safety reasons. Otherwise, for that price difference, we would always get the verandah.

Our first cruise was deck 6 midship veranda, second was deck 6 aft navigator's veranda, and most recently oceanview midship. We enjoyed every one of them and saved the most money on the last one.

Hello!

Thanks!
You spent so much already, for a little bit more, enjoy the verandah!

Hello!

Thanks!
We've sailed in inside, oceanview, and verandah staterooms, and our favorite stateroom has been a deluxe family oceanview stateroom on the Fantasy. The window is huge and offers a great view. It was the most spacious stateroom we've ever had, because no space was taken up by the verandah. Because it was a "family" category of stateroom on the Fantasy, it had a round bathtub with rainshower that we loved. The lowest categories of verandah (the non-family categories) won't have that.

One thing to remember on the Fantasy is to avoid aft staterooms if possible, as the Fantasy has occasional weird vibration problems in the aft, which the other ships don't have.

For $500 spread over seven days, we'd go for the verandah; when we're on vacation we like having a place to retreat and decompress with private, easy access to fresh air. If you're the type of people who only use your room to sleep, the extra cash might be better spent on something else.

Did you try a lower floor? On our cruise the move from Deluxe Ocean View to Verandah was $68.

Hello!

Thanks!
You spent so much already, for a little bit more, enjoy the verandah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter