Oceanview room vs veranda for sea sickness

lookame

DIS Veteran
so as I get older I realize I am more sensitive to things. Sometimes but not always I can get headaches/migraines on a long car rides and sometimes I can get a queasy feeling if I’m dizzy. My 12 yr old sometimes gets headaches in longer car rides if he’s trying to focus on one thing (his ds or a phone screen). I’ve also noticed things like if someone is driving me and they speed up and slow down quickly, speed up and slow down quickly (and doing this consistently) I’m more prone to headaches or feeling queasy. I know closing my eyes and blowing cold air on my face helps. Anyway right now we’re booked for an oceanview room midship on deck two but I’ve read it can be choppy on deck 2 so perhaps it may be better to move to a veranda room midship on deck 6 since it won’t be as choppy? I also can’t see or hear people get sick...it triggers something in me.

I apologize as I know this has been talked to death and there’s so many answers everyone has but I’m just curious how choppy deck two is.

Hi, haven’t been on deck 2 but can share my experience with sea sickness.
We were on the Magic 2 weeks ago. First night my older DD ran to the bathroom and was nautious. She is prone to motion sickness but this was our 4th cruise and she had never been sick. I had not been sleeping well prior to hearing her - thought it was the wine with dinner and drinks at Fathoms but realized when I woke that the ship was really rocking.
Next day we got some meds from guest services (had in a large bowl- like they were handing out Halloween candy!). DH and I had brunch reservations. When I stood up to look at the buffet I had to leave. Thankfully we were able to reschedule the brunch. Our room attendant suggested sitting on verandah and trying something sour. DH got me a green apple which was good. I spent about 4 hours on the verandah and finally felt better. Sadly it was MDAS so I missed some fun stuff! Rallied for the Dr Strange show in the theater. When we walked in they had sickness bags sitting out - so I knew it was pretty rough!
We were in midship verandah deck 7. My DH likes having the verandah since he’s an early riser and gets some reading in if we are all sleeping. It was worth it this cruise because laying down made me feel worse and the fresh air was helpful.
I didn’t really think mid April would be rough - I cannot begin to imagine how I would have fared with a tropical storm or hurricane!
Good luck!

I plan to start some sort of motion sickness meds a day or two before leaving. I used to never get motion sick but a lot changed when I was diagnosed with crohns. I also try to take preventative measures on longer rides like going to sleep. We’re booked for Jan 7th for a 4 night. I was excited but now my anxiety is taking hold like we’ll be holed up in the room the entire time (it’s doubtful I know).

Fans aren’t allowed are they? Like a small desktop fan? Getting cold air on my face as well as talking myself down helps. Then there was that time when I was so dizzy on diladid that I threw up out of nowhere...didn’t even realize I was feeling sick but I was very very dizzy

I am exactly like you with motion sickness. I take Bonine and start it a few days before we leave just to get it into my system. I have done verandas on decks 5 an 10 on the Dream and ocean view on deck 6 on the Magic. I was fine with both as long as I could find a center to concentrate on if I found myself feeling any nausea. I also have found that cinnamon helps me when I feel like this. I chew a lot of cinnamon gum, even on the ships (always disposing of properly).

I sleep with a fan and took a small one on the ship. It has to be approved prior to using so let your steward know as soon as you can and they will take care of getting it approved.

We've stayed on deck 2 mid-ship on 3 cruises and deck 5 aft on 1 cruise, all ocean views on different ships. I've gotten seasick on 2 different cruises, luckily each time it only lasted a few hours. I've never noticed deck 2 being any choppier than other places on the ship. The times I've gotten seasick were when we were in really rough waters, otherwise you really don't feel the ship moving. I bought some ginger candy and sucked on that throughout the cruise(ordered it from Amazon), wore sea bands, and take bonine. Even though I've gotten seasick, it doesn't stop me from cruising, we have our 5th cruise already booked. One thing I always do once I get on the ship is go to one of the bathrooms by the adult clubs and get some seasickness bags. This is the only place I've noticed them. I put some in our room and carry one with me, luckily I've never needed the one I carry with me, but like having it just in case. I think a small battery operated fan would be ok, like the pp said, if you get one that has to be plugged in, it has to be approved otherwise, if it's not they take it(you'd get it back at the end of the cruise). We haven't stayed in a verandah cabin, but if you can get one, you might as well switch, even if it you never get seasick, it would still be nice to have.

My DH and I have not experienced sea sickness, but last year on the Disney Fantasy ( Deck 9 - 7 day W. Caribbean- Star Wars) we brought along my brother and sister-in-law for their first cruise. She was sick from Key West to Cozumel. Sitting on the veranda with the wind blowing in her face, even with choppy seas, helped. A few hours on steady land in Cozumel let her body get back into sync and she was fine for the rest of the cruise. We always go for the veranda to have the sea breezes and the views. Get the veranda and bring some good binoculars. They take your mind and body away from the ship and onto other ships at sea or islands your are passing by.

Science says,
View horizon not look down.
Let's your eyes and ears equalise. Ears detect movements, eyes say walks do not move, so need to view horizon.
Avoid vibrations, and engine noise.
So many things cause motion sickness, from your health, to direction of ship, to sea current direction, to wind, to the stabilisers.
Midship is best, as impact of waves forward and aft have an effect.
All decks are joined together, the ship does flex in the water, but no deck can move more or less than another.

From my view and speaking to ship engineers getting a view is best, fresh air, drink soft drinks. So deck 5 up midship is best.

An example, tender boats at Cozumel, low and enclosed, high sea sickness, thoose at Grabd Cayman, you are higher up, and have a view, little seasickness.

We have had cruises through the back ends if two hurricanes and one serious storm in the Atlantic Bergen to Akureyri.
Circa 25% of cruisers made it to dinner in MDR, low down, and there were issues, but Cabanas was very busy, high up.
Friends of mine on Deck 2 said never again as waves hit and went over their portholes.

A verandah is well worth the money! When we have had sick people in our room and have been quarantined, the verandah is great for getting fresh air and not feeling claustrophobic.

FYI, peppermint oil is also great for seasickness! I put it under my husband's nose when we were on a schooner for an excursion.

so as I get older I realize I am more sensitive to things. Sometimes but not always I can get headaches/migraines on a long car rides and sometimes I can get a queasy feeling if I’m dizzy. My 12 yr old sometimes gets headaches in longer car rides if he’s trying to focus on one thing (his ds or a phone screen). I’ve also noticed things like if someone is driving me and they speed up and slow down quickly, speed up and slow down quickly (and doing this consistently) I’m more prone to headaches or feeling queasy. I know closing my eyes and blowing cold air on my face helps. Anyway right now we’re booked for an oceanview room midship on deck two but I’ve read it can be choppy on deck 2 so perhaps it may be better to move to a veranda room midship on deck 6 since it won’t be as choppy? I also can’t see or hear people get sick...it triggers something in me.

I apologize as I know this has been talked to death and there’s so many answers everyone has but I’m just curious how choppy deck two is.

Midship deck 2 will experience the least amount of sway. Looking at the horizon can be helpful for people, but on deck 2 it is easier to see the water move. A verandah allows for fresh air, but higher decks, particularly if you move fore or aft experience more sway.

That being said, some people who experience issues when riding in cars have no issue at sea.

If seeing or hearing others getting sick is a problem, unfortunately, avoiding public areas is the only solution. Especially if the seas are high, people around you may be ill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter