Oceaneer Club / Lab - ages question

nzdisneymom

DIS Veteran
I noticed in what I've read that the Oceaneers Club breaks kids up ages 5-7 and then 8+ (I forget the top age). Anyway, my question is this... my boys will be 8 3/4 and 7 1/2 when we go on our cruise. When we booked it, I thought that Oceaneers Club had the age break at 9 rather than 8. So now I'm worrying that they'll end up not being able to be together like I had hoped they would be.

How strict are they on the age break? I know I read something about being within a month (or so) of the age change to be able to be in a different group... is six months too long to bump up to the 8 yr old + group for my younger DS? Or is there some way I can check this out ahead of time? Do they make exceptions?

I know if they won't, the boys would still have a good time in the club / lab because there will be lots to do and they both make friends fairly easily. I'm just hopeful that they'll want to spend a LOT of time in the club / lab so that DH and I can have lots of down time on our at sea days.

Thanks.

You have several options. You could let the boys try out the separate areas and see if they like being with their age groups - the younger one in the 5-7s and the older one in the 8-9s. The 7 1/2 yo will still get some time in the Lab when the Club kids have "stormin the lab" as an activity.

Second option, since your youngest is probably used to playing with older kids, is to talk to the CMs when you get on board and let them know your preferences. They will usually work with you and will probably let the younger one go to the Lab on a "trial" basis. If he fits in fine he can stay.

Their job is to be sure EVERYONE has a Magical time and they are really good at it. (In case you haven't guessed, I'm prejudiced).

CM_Mom -- Thanks for your reply and advice! You're right about my younger DS - he's so used to the older kids because of his brother, and they are nearly the same size so we often get asked if they are twins. We'll definitely ask about having them together on a trial basis, and thanks for the info re: "stormin' the lab." Part of why we picked DCL for our very first cruise for any of us was because of the children's programs and the wonderful reviews it has gotten.

Originally posted by nzdisneymom
I noticed in what I've read that the Oceaneers Club breaks kids up ages 5-7 and then 8+ (I forget the top age). Anyway, my question is this... my boys will be 8 3/4 and 7 1/2 when we go on our cruise. When we booked it, I thought that Oceaneers Club had the age break at 9 rather than 8. So now I'm worrying that they'll end up not being able to be together like I had hoped they would be.

We cruised in May and my boys are the same ages as yours. The counselors in the lab did not have any problem at all letting my 7 1/2 year old go into the 8-9 group with his brother. No questions asked. It was a BIG relief!! My boys are very close and I know if they weren't together in the clubs they probably wouldn't want to be in the clubs. So, relax, I'm 99.9% sure that they will let you keep them together. (The only thing is that your older son can have sign out privleges and the younger cannot.)

Have a great trip!!!

Originally posted by NYDisneyMom
We cruised in May and my boys are the same ages as yours. The counselors in the lab did not have any problem at all letting my 7 1/2 year old go into the 8-9 group with his brother. No questions asked. It was a BIG relief!! My boys are very close and I know if they weren't together in the clubs they probably wouldn't want to be in the clubs. So, relax, I'm 99.9% sure that they will let you keep them together. (The only thing is that your older son can have sign out privleges and the younger cannot.)

Thanks NYDisneyMom. It's a big relief to me to read of your positive experience. Regarding sign out privileges, do you have to grant them that in the lab or is it automatic? Can you have your kids NOT have sign-out privileges?

We cruised lst week. The counselors in the lab did not have any problem at all letting my 7 3/4 year old go into the 8-9 group with her friend. I'm 95% sure that they will let you keep them together.

But to tell you the truth, I kind of wish they had separated the 2 girls because my friend's daughter kept paging her and I think my daughter would have stayed longer and enjoyed it more if her friend wasn't missing her mom and paging her all the time.

I called and asked disney before we booked if they were a little flexible with the ages and they said yes. My daughters will be 8.5, 5.5 and 2 and we will be traveling with my niece and nephews who are 7.5,5.5 and 2 and we didn't want them to be by themselves we want them to have at least 1 cousin with them and they said they will work with families, he said they run into this problem alot.
I am so glad to hear that you guys have actually done it. I was a little nervous that we would get on the ship and they would tell us something different.

r3ngels ...relax...DD says they work with families all the time. After all their goal is for your WHOLE family to have a MAGICal time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter