Oceaneer Club for a Preschooler

Richatlaw

Earning My Ears
Hi there!

We are booked on the Fantasy this coming December; DS will be 3 and a half years old. We sailed on Fantasy last year and Magic the year before, and had a great time. DS enjoyed the nursery (though he was always a bit timid when we would first drop him off). He can be a bit shy, but warms up as he gets more comfortable in his surroundings.

The next cruise will be the first where he would go to Oceaneers and I'm a bit worried. It seems other cruise lines have special programs geared toward the 3-5 year old crowd, while Disney has all the kids from 3-11 together. Does anyone have any feedback on how the Club works for little ones that age? I worry that if there is no one to direct DS where to go or what he can do he could be overwhelmed/bored/upset etc... Just looking for others' experiences.

Thanks!!

Hi there!

We are booked on the Fantasy this coming December; DS will be 3 and a half years old. We sailed on Fantasy last year and Magic the year before, and had a great time. DS enjoyed the nursery (though he was always a bit timid when we would first drop him off). He can be a bit shy, but warms up as he gets more comfortable in his surroundings.

The next cruise will be the first where he would go to Oceaneers and I'm a bit worried. It seems other cruise lines have special programs geared toward the 3-5 year old crowd, while Disney has all the kids from 3-11 together. Does anyone have any feedback on how the Club works for little ones that age? I worry that if there is no one to direct DS where to go or what he can do he could be overwhelmed/bored/upset etc... Just looking for others' experiences.

Thanks!!

The Club/Lab space is more-or-less separated into the Club (ages 3-7) and Lab (ages 8-12). Each space has activities geared toward the specified age group. That being said, any child in the Club/Lab can participate in whatever activities appeal to them, regardless of age.

The CMs will help direct the kids to the "proper" activities, but will not insist that they remain there.

I had this same question about 2 weeks ago. We just got off the Fantasy with our newly turned 6 and 3 year olds. The 6 year old loved the club and would have stayed forever LOL! Our 3 year old was hesitant the first time and we got a call 20 minutes in. The next time, for our Palo dinner, he went in, cried for about 3 minutes (we ere out of sight listening) and a CM paid special attention to him to get him acclimated and he had a blast for the next 2.5 hours. When I went to pick him up, he was wearing a streamer crown and laughing. The third and last time, he pulled the crying thing for 3 minutes again, CM fixed it again, and he stayed for another 2 hours, no issue. Picked him up and he had a million things to show me. One thing to do is to have the CM make sure to find the older sibling before calling you. Sometimes all the little ones need is a familiar face. I was very nervous at first because we've never used a kids club on vacation, but they do a great job and the kids really love it. Our 3 year old is still talking about how Peter Pan came to see them and Captain Hook was throwing cannonballs at them!?!

I think it really depends on your child. We cruised on the Dream with a barely 4 year old and a 2 year 11 month old. Our little guy was potty trained and they let him in the Club. I was a bit hesitant but he really wanted to be with his big sister and it worked out okay. The space did seem a bit more suited to the 5-7 year old set than to preschoolers in my opinion. There were a lot of video game terminals that my kids were too young to use on their own and it seemed like a kind of big, busy open space. The cast members were great, though.

My kids go to daycare part time and are pretty bold. They also tend to watch out for each other and stick together so I felt okay with them being there. I do think that some younger kids would find it a bit overwhelming.

My twins were three this past January when we tried to leave them there. It wasn't a good fit for them. The age range is too wide in my opinion. The staff was good but my kids aren't used to just being left somewhere and initiating things themselves. They go to preschool but that's it. The families I spoke with that had kids their age and loving the club were kids that were in daycare. I'd say try it and they'll page you if needed.

I had the same question. DS4 can be timid in new situations but is easy to get engaged if a staff member or other child takes him under their wing. I'm hoping that he'll be able to meet the CMs on the first day and they will remember him and welcome him later.

DD, on the other hand, would happily storm the place and take over. Lucky for them she will only be 2 and ineligible for our cruise :rotfl:.

As to the ages present. It does seem to tend to be under 7. To the point my 6 yo DS would often end up in the Lab to avoid the little kids I'm the club.
DD (3 at the time) was great with the club. I'd highly recommend hitting the open house the first afternoon just to get them familiarized with the area (show them the restrooms, etc.)
Our biggest problem was getting her to leave again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter