occupied room

Ro Z

DIS Veteran
We stayed at POR a couple weeks ago. We did online check in and sped thru the checkin process. We were given our KTTW and off we went. We get to our room and walk in to find it was occupied!:eek: Sippy cups on the table beds unmade and luggage! We quickly closed the door and trekked back to the front desk. We told another CM what happened and he told us he was sorry for the mixup. Asked who checked us in and assigned us another room.
Like nothing major happened. We were shocked! Anyone ever had this problem. I mean we let ourselves into someones room and it was treated as not a big deal! WOW!

That's a HUGE mistake.

So many ways that could have gone bad for you or the people in the room.

Imagine walking in on someone getting out of the shower?

What if you were the type to steal? What if the person in the room was the type to accuse someone else of theft to get something for nothing...

What if the person in the room thought you were were breaking in?

That is not some little 'oppsie' that's a huge violation of a persons privacy. In Florida, when you rent a hotel room, you are afforded virtually all the same things as a homeowner would have a Right to.

Very disturbing.

I'd follow up on it. Did you tell the people in the room you walked into, like leaving a note on their door or anything?

We didn't. Partly because we didn't want to be accused of anything! You never know. I am getting a letter to Disney ready but I want it to be "right" so I haven't sent it yet.

Unfortunately, you are not the first one I've heard this happening to at POR....you may want to post on that thread or read it ...you are probably the 3rd or 4th person I've heard it happening to....makes me nervous for my stay in May. :/

I'm not saying this was okay by any means, but room discrepancies do happen. Sorry that's how your stay started, but you did the right thing to just shut the door and come back to the front desk. I've had guests stay at my small property in Central Illinois walk in on people sleeping, talk about a nightmare for the guest and our staff here.

I know mistakes happen, we own a campground and have double booked sites before BUT the campers can see the site is occupied without climbing in someones trailer! :laughing:

As a PP has stated, you arent' the first one that this has happened to, nor is it confined to POR. Over the years it has happened to us twice, at different resorts. Inconvenient to have to schlepp the bags back to the check in, to say the least. It's just a simple mistake and easily rectified. We certainly weren't traumatized (on neither occasion were the occupants of the room present) or horrified, or spent time dwelling on all of the possible "what ifs"; just a little miffed. The CMs at the desk apologized for the inconvenience and gave us a new room immediately. Problem solved.

This has happen to me twice - not at Disney, though. Both ties were very dangerous as it was close to midnight and the door latch had been throw so the door would only open 2 inches.

Both times peeps were in the room and it took me a couple of seconds to realize what was happening.

OP, this happened to my husband and I on an anniversary trip at the GF. Thank goodness we were dressed and ready to leave the room. I may be alone in this but I was a bit traumatized. Yes, we and the other couple went down and let the desk know and no, neither couple was angry nor did we ask for compensation in any way.

This happened to my family at Kidani Village in June 2011. Cast member checking me in said she had wonderful news...we received a savanna view upgrade... only 1 problem; when we trekked to the room and opened the door my oldest son said "HOLD ON", THERE WAS A WOMAN IN THE BATHROOM DRYING HER HAIR?! along with a pizza box on the kitchen counter. The woman didn't see or hear us and we all turned around and headed back for the lobby check in. My wife was furious and told the woman who checked us in that she wanted to speak with a manager. After the manager came out and we explained what happened she disappeared for about 10 minutes then came back and apologized and gave us a new room and paid for our ADR that evening at Boma, ($250). I realize mistakes can happen but that was scary.

This is a glitch that came with LILO when it rolled out in 2010. It's the bane of any CMs existence when stuff like that happens. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen. You did the right thing by leaving the room straight away. It's not unheard of to ask for compensation, but it should be dealt with immediately, not in a letter afterwards. The CMs dealt with it very well, in my opinion. Apologies and not panicking is the best reaction to this situation. No one was hurt or put in danger, and making a big deal out of it might have caused issues later. Trust me, you'd be amazed at how many people start demanding entire stays to be compensated if a CM makes a huge fuss over something.

If you have an issue like this and feel as if you deserve compensation, address it at the hotel with the manager. This is an occurrence that no CMs can control, so writing a letter after the fact won't make any difference unless you want something over the ordeal. It won't, however, make anything right in the sense of CM training or contacting the other family because in this case neither of these things are necessary.

This happened to us during a stay at OKW two years ago. We were very excited that our room was ready early. We unlocked the door and surprised the family eating breakfast in the room that we were assigned! I have to say, the family that we barged in on was more than gracious about it! The front desk didn't seemed too concerned about it when we went back to the front desk to tell them.

FWIW - I always tend to keep notes during any trip and write the owner/managing group a report of my trip, the good and hopefully never the bad, or the ugly. We stayed at a high end boutique Hampton property for our honeymoon. It was FLAWLESS execution of service the whole time we were there. I wrote a glowing email to the hotel manager and cc'd Hampton on it. They were estatic about it and comped us a future visit.

Last year we had a HORRIBLE first day at the CBR that resulted us in ending up at POR at 1AM. They comped the first night, and at the end of the trip when I sent my letter (which, had TONS of positives from the rest of the trip) they offered the same package at the same price for this year, just had to book within 2 days. We didn't know what our job situation was going to be this year just yet so we passed on it.

I'm always very careful to demand compensation on the spot because I may not be in the greatest mood and might demand something ignorant or over the top. I'd rather collect my thoughts after I've slept off it.

I had this happen at two different Sheraton's. The first time it took three try's. The first room someone was sleeping nad the second room was under construction The front desk clerk was mad at me like it was my fault. No apology. I had to get a manger.

The second time I walked into a room that apparently had a guy in it who just finished showering and left. As I was dealing with that my male friend walked into his room where a lady was on the bed.

The manager of the hotel, after waiting 30 minutes in line, proceeded to tell me how to lock my door the next time. Hello.... I was entering. Really manager how is this my fault. This is a DATELINE episode waiting to happen.

I work in the hotel industry and this does happen more than I care to admit. Our key card machine notifies us if someone is in the room as well as our computer. We also do a bucket check but some front desk people are lazy and ignore these notifications and tasks. It really is unfortunate and it shouldn't happen.

I work in the hotel industry and this does happen more than I care to admit. Our key card machine notifies us if someone is in the room as well as our computer. We also do a bucket check but some front desk people are lazy and ignore these notifications and tasks. It really is unfortunate and it shouldn't happen.

Disney's system doesn't work the same way other hotel chains do. There is no notification that someone is already in the room and the computer assigns the rooms based on availability. What happens is that the new system hiccups and will double book. There really is no way for a CM to realize this has happened without doing some extensive investigating, which can't be done simply because of the length of time it would take while someone is (im)patiently waiting to be checked in. Front desk CMs don't assign rooms, the computer gives them available rooms. In this case, this is not the laziness of the CM, but the obnoxiousness of the computer system.

Also a hotelier and sometimes housekeeping incorrectly enters a room number as ready. So front desk sees it in inventory and assigns the room. Housekeeping often has to and can do that since people do leave and forget (or not) to express checkout.

These are simple mistakes, and honestly, I don't see how they are scary or traumatic for the person entering the room--especially in the case where the current occupant had the door latch on.
I would never dream of asking for, or even hinting at, any sort of compensation over something like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter