Ocala, FL Anyone...

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
visit or live there? Any info will be helpful. DH and I are moving to Trilogy at Ocala Preserve, a 55 plus community that we fell in love with. Looks like a great area to live in we are excited. I wish there was a list of things to do when you move to Florida so I don't miss anything!

visit or live there? Any info will be helpful. DH and I are moving to Trilogy at Ocala Preserve, a 55 plus community that we fell in love with. Looks like a great area to live in we are excited. I wish there was a list of things to do when you move to Florida so I don't miss anything!

I don't have any info for you Lynn, but I wish the best of luck to you and your husband with your new adventure.

My mother-in-law moved to a different retirement community in Ocala. She fell in love with it too. It’s a lovely community.

But...Ocala has very little to offer in terms of amenities/activities. She spends most of her time in the car, either driving north to Gainesville or southwest to The Villages. She had several reservations about The Villages (mostly that it was too big) but now she wishes she had moved there instead.

I would suggest you spend a few days to a week in a hotel in Ocala, really visiting the city before you make your final decision.

No relevant experience however it is a name stuck in my head forever. It was the site of a Disney Welcoming center that sold tickets in 1989 on our first trip ever to WDW. My wife, 4 year old son and I drove from Texas to WDW, stayed offsite without any hotel reservations and stopped in Ocala and bought our tickets there. We had no plans, no real information and spent an hour talking to a cast member there who suggested how we should tour WDW. 40 plus trips since then and while we have driven a few times, we never stopped at the Welcome Center again. I am sure it is not even there anymore.

We always stopped at the Official WDW Welcome Center when we were driving to the World. It just elevated the excitement and anticipation. We used to buy postcards there and write and send them that first night. IIRC, the Welcome Center was pretty much exactly 100 miles from the WDW entrance. Since we always fly now I have no idea if it’s even still there.

Born and raised there until 7th grade. But have not visited since the last of my relatives moved out in the early 2000s. We always stop at the Chik Fil A on 200 on our way to DW though. Don't have a lot of info on the active senior communities but there are a lot there and people keep coming so they must be doing it right! Enjoy your new home!

My family has visited many times.
We even met some life long friends there.
We were at Cracker Barrel and they were just moving to the area and my sister friended the daughter and they came back to our hotel next door to go swimming.
My parents just visited them last month.
The area has really built u in the last 25 years just like so many other places in Florida.
We used to love to go to Silver Springs State Park.
Unfortunately its kind of just a shell of what it used to be but still nice with the glass bottom boat ride.

As a horse owner - I love it but I'm not sure I'd move there. It does seem a little "sleepy" - but - that may be fine for your family. I live in NC now but one day I think I'll be retiring in Florida and I can't decide where. It's tough - a lot of places to choose from.

I know exactly where Trilogy is on 27. I am not sure about the HOA fees, but the location is good with access to I-75.

With the World Equestrian Center coming online soon, the landscape of Ocala is already changing in that area. I have an elderly mother that lives in one of the well established and known adult communities in NW/SW Ocala. Ocala gets virtually no sea breeze, so be prepared for stagnant, hot and humid weather for 4-5 months of the year.

I can tell you that the area is booming and so is the traffic/crime.

Last edited:
My mother-in-law moved to a different retirement community in Ocala. She fell in love with it too. It’s a lovely community.

But...Ocala has very little to offer in terms of amenities/activities. She spends most of her time in the car, either driving north to Gainesville or southwest to The Villages. She had several reservations about The Villages (mostly that it was too big) but now she wishes she had moved there instead.

I would suggest you spend a few days to a week in a hotel in Ocala, really visiting the city before you make your final decision.

We did spend a week there last month, then went back to spend some more time to make sure. Trilogy has Lots of activities to keep us busy and it's on a beautiful golf course.

As a horse owner - I love it but I'm not sure I'd move there. It does seem a little "sleepy" - but - that may be fine for your family. I live in NC now but one day I think I'll be retiring in Florida and I can't decide where. It's tough - a lot of places to choose from.
Yes, there are so many horse ranches in Ocala, beautiful!

My family has visited many times.
We even met some life long friends there.
We were at Cracker Barrel and they were just moving to the area and my sister friended the daughter and they came back to our hotel next door to go swimming.
My parents just visited them last month.
The area has really built u in the last 25 years just like so many other places in Florida.
We used to love to go to Silver Springs State Park.
Unfortunately its kind of just a shell of what it used to be but still nice with the glass bottom boat ride.
I'm looking forward to the glass bottom boats

Born and raised there until 7th grade. But have not visited since the last of my relatives moved out in the early 2000s. We always stop at the Chik Fil A on 200 on our way to DW though. Don't have a lot of info on the active senior communities but there are a lot there and people keep coming so they must be doing it right! Enjoy your new home!
We will, Thank You

No relevant experience however it is a name stuck in my head forever. It was the site of a Disney Welcoming center that sold tickets in 1989 on our first trip ever to WDW. My wife, 4 year old son and I drove from Texas to WDW, stayed offsite without any hotel reservations and stopped in Ocala and bought our tickets there. We had no plans, no real information and spent an hour talking to a cast member there who suggested how we should tour WDW. 40 plus trips since then and while we have driven a few times, we never stopped at the Welcome Center again. I am sure it is not even there anymore.
I'll check for the welcome center when I get settled in and let you know if I find it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter