Observations from recent trip (July 30 to August 5)

BAST

DIS Veteran
We (DD11, DD13 and DH - DW stayed home) just returned from a 7 night WDW and 4 night Universal trip. We had a really great trip overall. Some observations/ complaints:

1) We did the EMH morning hours for five of the seven days. We were never asked to show our resort cards to prove we were staying onsite (DDs had Undercover Tourist tickets and I had an AP so our tickets were not attached to our room cards).

2) EMH mornings worked great at MK since so many rides are open. At the other parks, the crowds were somewhat smaller than a normal rope drop, but the small number of rides open makes EMH morning somewhat less advantageous.

3) It seems to me that WDW has turned down the air conditioning at all stores and on all rides. Especially in August (when we typically go), we loved the icy cold blast when entering a store or ride. This year it wasn't the same (Universal has not done this).

4) Overall, I think food quality has gone down. I have always been a big fan of the TS restaurants at WDW, but this year the food (with a few exceptions) was simply not as good. Prices are much higher than at Universal (even with the TIW card). CS meals were generally pretty bad (and I have never really had any complaints previously). Mickey Premium bars are still great!

5) Crowds were pretty large but manageable. Guests seemed well behaved with the notable exception of numerous groups of foreign teens who were frequently obnoxious (pushing, shoving, being loud on rides or in shows).

6) DD13 celebrated her birthday (8/1) in WDW. She did wear a birthday pin for a few days and we received a few free desserts and were chosen to be the first to ride Nemo (also received, as part of this, 2 family FPs, a special tour of the Living Seas pavilion and special seating for Illuminations). I was pleasantly surprised by this.

7) The nightly Fantasmic shows really helped with the crowds. We actually saw the show at 9:00 and got decent seats about 20 minutes before show time. Last year (2010), we never saw the show because I was not going to wait the 90 minutes or so needed to get a seat at the few shows offered during our stay.

8) I reguarly use FPs and this generally worked well. Never had any issues with using our FPs after the time period stated on the ticket. I must say that the crowds standing by the FP entrances seem to be worse. I got sick of pushing through crowds waiting the 3,4 or 5 minutes for the FP window to open.

9) We rented a car and drove to all the parks. AK has a new policy where they do not want drivers to walk from their car to the park entrance. This is really annoying for those (like us) who get to the park very early to be the first in line at the turnstyle. We simply ignored the CMs and made the (apparently very dangerous) short walk to the park entrance (a walk we have done repeatedly in the past).

Happy to answer any questions.

We (DD11, DD13 and DH - DW stayed home) just returned from a 7 night WDW and 4 night Universal trip. We had a really great trip overall. Some observations/ complaints:

1) We did the EMH morning hours for five of the seven days. We were never asked to show our resort cards to prove we were staying onsite (DDs had Undercover Tourist tickets and I had an AP so our tickets were not attached to our room cards).

I don't know that I have ever heard anyone get 'carded' for EMH mornings at any attractions. You show it at entry but not any other time are you saying you never had to show it at all not even at the turnstiles?

8) I reguarly use FPs and this generally worked well. Never had any issues with using our FPs after the time period stated on the ticket. I must say that the crowds standing by the FP entrances seem to be worse. I got sick of pushing through crowds waiting the 3,4 or 5 minutes for the FP window to open.
I hate that too. It is one of the few things that drive me nuts at WDW. I wish the CM's would address this. Sooooo annoying.

Agreed. That is very annoying and I wish it would be addressed.

Glad your daughter had a great birthday -- the "treats" at Epcot sound fantastic!

The last time I was at AK several weeks ago they urged us to walk rather than wait for the tram so it sounds like it depends on the CM's you encounter.

I don't know that I have ever heard anyone get 'carded' for EMH mornings at any attractions. You show it at entry but not any other time are you saying you never had to show it at all not even at the turnstiles?

I hate that too. It is one of the few things that drive me nuts at WDW. I wish the CM's would address this. Sooooo annoying.

I understand how the fast passes work, but as a newbie,don't quite understand your comment. Are the people waiting a few minutes before they can take a new fast pass?

I understand how the fast passes work, but as a newbie,don't quite understand your comment. Are the people waiting a few minutes before they can take a new fast pass?

Some people tend to stand at the entrance to the FP return line until the time that their FP return window opens. If they are able to return at 10:20am and it's only 10:17am, they have to wait the 3 mins and will literally stand at the entrance, often in the way of others, until they can enter the FP line for that ride. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense! :)

3) It seems to me that WDW has turned down the air conditioning at all stores and on all rides. Especially in August (when we typically go), we loved the icy cold blast when entering a store or ride. This year it wasn't the same (Universal has not done this).

I agree with you that Disney has done this but I agree with Disney on why they are doing it. People will complain it's because of cost cutting and it probably is but then again, why shouldn't Disney be a leader in conservation? They are a nature preserve, they give so much back to the environment. We go from 90+ degrees to a building that is controlled to the low 70s and we complain? Is that now going to be part of what we expect from Disney World? Temperatures we don't experience in everyday life?

We were there during the same time (a few extra days) and stayed at WL and then Hard Rock Hotel for a few nights. Your analysis in all regards was spot on! Although we were asked for our room keys the 2 morning we went for early magic hours (AK and MK). There were some rather large tour groups that were a little loud at times and one that ruined our Living with the Land experience as they would not shut up the entire ride (teenagers). I posted last night about this but my experience was the hotel, food and ride quality all around at Universal was much better than Disney. It's unfortunate but I think things are gradually going downhill. This is our 8 trip in 6 years and each time the food gets a little worse as does some of the service while Universal continues to get better and better.

My comments in red.

1) We did the EMH morning hours for five of the seven days. We were never asked to show our resort cards to prove we were staying onsite (DDs had Undercover Tourist tickets and I had an AP so our tickets were not attached to our room cards).There's been a couple times I haven't been asked for my KTW card as well, and I usually have an AP. This bothers me. A lot of people say you will always get checked, but that is just not the case. Disney needs to start checking everyone who doesn't use a KTW card to enter, otherwise off-site guests are going to start taking advantadge of the fact that they don't check.

2) EMH mornings worked great at MK since so many rides are open. At the other parks, the crowds were somewhat smaller than a normal rope drop, but the small number of rides open makes EMH morning somewhat less advantageous.I agree, the only park I bother with for EMH is MK, and even then only if I can park hop, since I feel the park becomes too crowded later in the morning.

4) Overall, I think food quality has gone down. I have always been a big fan of the TS restaurants at WDW, but this year the food (with a few exceptions) was simply not as good. Prices are much higher than at Universal (even with the TIW card). CS meals were generally pretty bad (and I have never really had any complaints previously). Mickey Premium bars are still great!I'm sorry to hear this. Can I ask where you ate, and what you had?

5) Crowds were pretty large but manageable. Guests seemed well behaved with the notable exception of numerous groups of foreign teens who were frequently obnoxious (pushing, shoving, being loud on rides or in shows). I think that's most teens in general, I've seen some pretty obnoxious American teens as well. The tour groups really need more supervision, and better parenting all around.

6) DD13 celebrated her birthday (8/1) in WDW. She did wear a birthday pin for a few days and we received a few free desserts and were chosen to be the first to ride Nemo (also received, as part of this, 2 family FPs, a special tour of the Living Seas pavilion and special seating for Illuminations). I was pleasantly surprised by this.That's great! :goodvibes I love the extra pixie dust Disney provides doing things like this.

7) The nightly Fantasmic shows really helped with the crowds. We actually saw the show at 9:00 and got decent seats about 20 minutes before show time. Last year (2010), we never saw the show because I was not going to wait the 90 minutes or so needed to get a seat at the few shows offered during our stay.Glad to hear the crowds are more managable.

8) I reguarly use FPs and this generally worked well. Never had any issues with using our FPs after the time period stated on the ticket. I must say that the crowds standing by the FP entrances seem to be worse. I got sick of pushing through crowds waiting the 3,4 or 5 minutes for the FP window to open.They annoy me too. The CMs at the entrance should really direct guests waiting for their time to stand to the side, and not block the entrance.

9) We rented a car and drove to all the parks. AK has a new policy where they do not want drivers to walk from their car to the park entrance. This is really annoying for those (like us) who get to the park very early to be the first in line at the turnstyle. We simply ignored the CMs and made the (apparently very dangerous) short walk to the park entrance (a walk we have done repeatedly in the past).

We were just there as well and did have to show our room keys to get into morning EMH, but once we were in, we didn't have to show them to ride. However, we had to show them at every ride at every park during evening EMH, and once was only 5 minutes after regular park closing.

I am always pleased when I don't have to show ID. Seems more convenient to not have to show it. So, can't agree with you there. (I'm sure that if you really, really want to show it to someone, they'll look at it.)

Also never had that problem at AK. In fact, have wanted to tram it and had no trams running...more than once. But I can't imagine why they'd discourage the walk. Makes no sense to me.

TOTAL AGREEMENT regarding the crappy air conditioning. It's not just us. I said to a friend, "What is with this air? Where are we, Europe?" She laughed in agreement and said a bad word I can't put on the DIS to partly describe it. Sucks!

Also grow weary of weaving between the Return Time Waiters. Grr. Step aside, please.

Sounds like a good trip, though! Glad you had fun!

:)

We were just there as well and did have to show our room keys to get into morning EMH, but once we were in, we didn't have to show them to ride. However, we had to show them at every ride at every park during evening EMH, and once was only 5 minutes after regular park closing.

Regarding the morning EMH, don't they check your status when you come into the parking lot by looking at the pass on the dash of your car? Those arriving via Disney buses at that hour would only be coming from Disney hotels. I thought that was how they managed it.

Or can you get into the parking lots at that time even if you're not a resort guest? I thought the non-guests had to wait. I always ride the bus, so I don't really know.

Regarding the morning EMH, don't they check your status when you come into the parking lot by looking at the pass on the dash of your car? Those arriving via Disney buses at that hour would only be coming from Disney hotels. I thought that was how they managed it.
No. I have never put that thing on the dash. Not once.
Or can you get into the parking lots at that time even if you're not a resort guest? I thought the non-guests had to wait. I always ride the bus, so I don't really know.
I expect that anyone who wants to go to the parking lot can do that.

We were asked for our cards to get through to board the monorail at TTC, we drove there from AKL. There were hoards of people waiting there and we were confused and wasted about 10-15 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. We finally realized we had to go all the way to the right where a CM checked our cards and let us head up to the monorail. So, we only made it there about 15 min. before the general public, but I still think it helped us out a lot.

No. I have never put that thing on the dash. Not once. I expect that anyone who wants to go to the parking lot can do that.

Then how do you show that you don't have to pay to park? Resort guests don't pay to park in the theme park lots, right? If they don't ask for anything at the entrance to the lot, aren't they asking you to pay? (Confused.)

We never had to show our resort card at entry. I was surprised by this.

Then how do you show that you don't have to pay to park? Resort guests don't pay to park in the theme park lots, right? If they don't ask for anything at the entrance to the lot, aren't they asking you to pay? (Confused.)
First: Yeah, WDW hotel customers get free parking.
Second: So do AP holders.

I show my AP or hotel ID card. :)

I didn't even know that little paper got you into the lots. I'm actually surprised it works. That would be so easy to fake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter