Observations From Recent Trip 4/29 - 5/5

Ok now you have my interest piqued about his periscope thing. Is it only available to watch through the app or twitter or can people upload it to youtube for example? Just asking as I have no interest in twitter and not sure I want to download the app.

see periscope.tv It's interesting as you can search for things like disney and anyone in the park with video that has disney in the title will pop up..

facebook recently started it's own live thing as it's been that popular and youtube has had live options for a long time.

Thanks for the observations. I was really curious about the FP+ on the App. We are a rope drop family as well and I was wondering if we should schedule fastpasses as early in the morning as possible but that seems to defeat the purpose if a 4th fastpass isn't available anyway.

I agree with the phones too!! This trip (I leave Thursday for 8 days at Coronado!!) will be my 3rd trip where I delete all social media apps from my phone and don't post any photos, statuses, anything for the entirety of my trip. Let me tell you it relaxes me! I genuinely feel like I am IN THE DISNEY BUBBLE. Wish that everyone had that rule.

We were there too last week and agree with most of your observations. FP availability was very disappointing.

We ate at 50's prime time and our waitress totally gave a woman at the next table over a hard time for constantly being on her phone. It was pretty funny.

We got caught in Mexico for the crazy Tues night storm. Tres trips on the Tres Caballaros. :hourglass At least I got to have a blood orange margarita. What was interesting to me was the fireworks. We saw part of Illumunations in between the downpours (we've not seen it before so that was a bit of a bummer). It was delayed half an hour, Wishes went early (they were overlapping and we could see the high flying Wishes displays) and then SitS went too so nearly overlapping as well. The folks at Disney must have been watching the radar and just said, "We've got a break! Go, go, go, just shoot them all!" :crazy:

I have never had the Blood Orange Margarita! Is it amazing?!

Yes on the facetime too! I saw at least 3 people on facetime the short time we were there- twice was walking through the resort, not at the park. One girl almost walked smack into us!! I don't get it. World has changed and I guess I just need to get used to it because my complaining isn't going to help anything :rotfl:

Afraid so! Not too far off from that WALL E concept. lol

To the OP did you book your fast passes first thing in the morning to grab your 4th early on or did you wait until later in the day. Still trying to find the best plan of attack as our 60 day window is approaching. Thinking morning might be best as we will leave around noon every day to return after dinner.

I have never had the Blood Orange Margarita! Is it amazing?!

Amazing .... I wouldn't say that. Good ... Definitely. I did not want the chili powder on the rim so the bartender recommended hibiscus salt which had a very nice taste. Overall I was very happy. It was unique in a good way.

I was curious about the avocado margarita but I chickened out. :oops:

Anyone who isn't watching where they're going, whether because they have their nose buried in a cell phone or because they're talking to the person next to them, or they're using their stroller as a battering ram or they're just self-involved in general, that's rude. Full stop.

But if they're using their phone and not infringing on your space? Well, their beeswax. I know a lot of you say that you like to unplug while you're in the Parks, but that's not everyone. I like posting photos and sharing them with friends, friends who might wish they were at Disney and want to enjoy the trip vicariously, or relatives who don't care about Disney but just like to know what I'm doing and that I'm happy. Not all day -- I don't have my phone out constantly, but sometimes I use it, and that's my call. I like reading comments and sharing responses. It makes my Disney experience more fun. I wish I could take all my friends to the Parks with me, but since I can't, I don't see the harm in sharing my day with them foccasionally. I mean -- Nothing makes my mother-in-law happier than getting photos from us throughout our day, whether we're at WDW or the super market. It's sometimes vaguely annoying, lol, but on the other hand, it's a small thing to do for someone.

see periscope.tv It's interesting as you can search for things like disney and anyone in the park with video that has disney in the title will pop up..

facebook recently started it's own live thing as it's been that popular and youtube has had live options for a long time.
Sweet! Thank you for the information :)

I agree with the phones too!! This trip (I leave Thursday for 8 days at Coronado!!) will be my 3rd trip where I delete all social media apps from my phone and don't post any photos, statuses, anything for the entirety of my trip. Let me tell you it relaxes me! I genuinely feel like I am IN THE DISNEY BUBBLE. Wish that everyone had that rule.

At Disney, as with everywhere else, I tend to live and let live.

I never realized what a favor I was doing myself by not being concerned with what everyone else was doing all the time; it must be so stressful to be judging a bunch of strangers for not wanting to do things the way you like to do them.

I never realized what a favor I was doing myself by not being concerned with what everyone else was doing all the time; it must be so stressful to be judging a bunch of strangers for not wanting to do things the way you like to do them.
Lol I was more talking about my own family but thanks for being mean haha.

Don't we watch people on periscope and similar like when the dis team turns on something? What we love about the dis doesn't happen by them putting the phone down. There's a lot of money being made on social networks and we're kind of the ones doing it the hard way..

IIRC there was actually a large group of bloggers that day, my daughter was upset she skipped going to mk and then later that night found out all these people she knew were there all day.. I think you were seeing the millennials making their living. Not to say some people are just obsessed and a lot do hold their phone a lot and it's more about sharing with someone not with them than really smelling the roses..

How do you make money on social media? By the advertisements? I'm not paying anyone a penny to watch someone else go on a ride.

Thanks for the observations. I was really curious about the FP+ on the App. We are a rope drop family as well and I was wondering if we should schedule fastpasses as early in the morning as possible but that seems to defeat the purpose if a 4th fastpass isn't available anyway.

About the only place worth trying to get a 4th FP is at Magic Kingdom.

With all due respect you are judging someone just by that statement.

There is a difference between worrying about what everyone is doing around you to the max and wanting to have people respect your experience just as much as you respect theirs. To some respecting your experience just means not stopping in the middle of an area and for others it's not talking loudly on your phone with everyone hearing your conversation.

Thanks for sharing! The overuse of devices gets to me, too, but usually only from DSis being oblivious to the rest of us. :rolleyes: As well as that one time I got to watch World of Color through someone's cell phone picking it up on someone else's IPad, both of them being held up in front of my view. I try to keep my phone time to taking pictures, remembering/changing FP+ times, and maybe uploading one post during a meal/rest break or on the buses to/from the parks. If I can Skype (is that like Facetime?) with my niece & nephew I'll definitely try to find a bench or at least tell them to 'hang on a second' and watch where I'm going while I get out of everyone's way after showing them something neat nearby. Having to refresh constantly to catch an elusive fourth FP+ sounds like a waste of battery for the way we need to tour now.

Overall it sounds like your family had a pretty good trip.

How do you make money on social media? By the advertisements? I'm not paying anyone a penny to watch someone else go on a ride.

It's a huge topic and lots of information on how to monetize a social network account. The short is it's probably a variety of things including product placement. It would probably start with ad revenue sharing that youtube and many offer anyone with an account start doing, even recently youtube started that pay section and getting subscribers has a referral fee. If you get a follow, someone out there will want to hand you money to talk about something or wear something or say you shopped somewhere.. If it really interests you, it should be hard to find but everything on the internet is making someone money.

People we were walking next to, standing in line next to, and sitting next to at dinners / lunches and even on rides with that you could see their screens, most were either texting or on social media. It's easy to tell when someone is texting as opposed to using the MDE app. Fingers typing away on the screen non-stop with their heads buried and not looking where they are.

Oh A LOT of people also walk around the parks using Facetime too to talk to people. Maybe they are showing them a live version on the park so they can see what they are doing, but what we saw was people just pointing at themselves talking to a person while walking into everything/everyone.
I've face timed elderly relatives so they could see the park. It worked out so well and made the happy.

We were there the same time. In fact my DS was on his own for the first time and caught at the park in that violent thunderstorm. I was freaked out - but he handled it like a pro. :-)

I disagree about the weather being perfect. We had the same weather as you.... but for me, 93 degrees was not perfect. It was too hot!

Agree 100% of HS. We were done after a few hours. We stayed because DS wanted to, but the park needs more to do right now. It's awfully dead there. That was even seeing the new storm trooper parade and them bringing a few characters on stage (yeah.... that was worth it..... not). Looking forward to HS getting new stuff but in the meantime, it's a dead park.

biggest problem I have with social media people is when they are not looking where they are walking and bumping into people. Frankly I don't care if someone sits down somewhere and spends all day on their phone - it's their money. Just don't cause problems when you are doing it.

Oh - and the Air Conditioner on Spaceship Earth needs to be cranked up a notch. :-)

- People: It's sad to see that many people really don't experience WDW anymore. They care more about their phones / social media than actually experiencing WDW. So many people have their heads in their phones the whole time, checking facebook, taking selfies, and posting to social media. We kept asking ourselves "Do these people actually know they are in WDW?"

Oh they know they are at WDW... and they want everyone on the planet to know about it too!

Imagine what life must be like for these people. Yikes.

Let's try switching things around...
"It's sad to see that many people really don't experience WDW anymore. They care more about judging others/criticizing what everyone else is doing than actually experiencing WDW. So many people are up on their high horse, looking down at others and getting annoyed by the little things around them. I keep asking myself, "Do these people actually know they are in WDW, The Happiest Place On Earth?""

See how it works? You can spend your time judging people and getting annoyed, they can spend their time on their phones/tablets. Someone is always going to be offended by what you're choosing to do and how you are doing it. I don't feel sorry for those "poor" people who can't separate from their phones, because I'm sure they're having just as good a time as I'm having without my phone. And I'm sure YOU are having a great time, too, in your own way.
Live and let live.

Hoping for low crowds when we arrive on Sunday! Glad you had a great trip! FYI...keep checking ADR's...we were hoping for lunch at BOG and a reservation popped up this morning! YEAH!

Oh A LOT of people also walk around the parks using Facetime too to talk to people. Maybe they are showing them a live version on the park so they can see what they are doing, but what we saw was people just pointing at themselves talking to a person while walking into everything/everyone.
That drives me NUTS!!!!! :eek::crazy: I really don't want to hear other peoples conversations..... Really.... if you are at WDW you need to enjoy it! I don't get the Facetime in the middle of crowds!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter