Observations from our 4-Night Wish cruise 4/8-4/12

woody64

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our wonderful 4-night Disney Wish cruise that left PC on Monday 4/8. This is now our 4th DCL ship we have been on and have now been on at least 1 of every class. My DW and I are olds (60) and traveling with no kids. We are not foodies but enjoy good food. There were things I liked, things I didn't like. Given all this, I would not hesitate to sail on this ship again. These are strictly my observations/opinions and I am not right or wrong to have these opinions. Use them as you may. Here we go.

Getting to Port Canaveral and onboard: We took the DCL transfer from Saratoga Springs. They picked luggage up at 7 am, met in the main lobby at 9:45 and away we went shortly thereafter. Never saw our luggage again until it appeared at our cabin which was nice. We were onboard the ship after getting our name announced around 11:30-11:45 with boarding group 6. The main atrium is beautiful and seems much bigger than the other ships.

Marceline Market: We ate lunch on embarkation day here and breakfast every morning. We found it to have great variety of food and room to move amongst stations. We never really struggled to find a table but it was just the 2 of us so sometimes sat at the bar type area looking out over the water vs a table.

Festival of Foods: I loved this concept and between the 2 of us we enjoyed food from every station. My favorite was the BBQ (ribs fall of the bone; sweet potato fries) with my DW preferring her Mexican bowl. Ice cream was always good as was the pizza and burger. It was nice having all the varieties of food and thought the quality was very good.

Dining Rooms: Our favorites in order are 1923, Marvel, Arendelle. We liked the menu at 1923 & Marvel but not the menu at Arendelle. I had the pork tenderloin at Arendelle, which was good, but the rest of the menu didn't do much for us (remember, we are not foodies). We also did not like the show at Arendelle-too long and too loud for us. (Side note-we were seated with 2 other couples our age and we had the best time at dinner. Three couples that didn't know each other the first night to now maybe planning additional cruises together!) We did enjoy the show at Marvel. Overall dining room food was very good.

Lounges/Bars: I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority but I liked that they were spread throughout the ship. We enjoyed events at The Bayou (try the smoked Old Fashion), Luna, Keg & Compass, and the Triton Lounge. We stopped briefly while exploring the ship the day we boarded into the Hyperspace Lounge, which looked cool, and The Rose, which we totally forgot about the rest of the trip. I usually visited multiple places every evening.

Pools and pool areas: I think I am once again in the minority but I liked the adult pool area being separated up on deck 13. We both loved the comfy cushions on all the chairs and spent the entire day in Nassau in one of the big, round loungers watching funnel vision. We liked that you had to make an effort to get up there and didn't have kids/families strolling through. I never felt the pool was too crowded to get in but am confused with the design of it with the proportions of the lounging portion being off and causing you to slide. Nassau morning I rode the AquaMouse twice back-to-back without waiting and could have continued to ride it with no interruption but twice was enough. It was fun but short.

Shopping/Stores: Shopping was fine but nothing too impressive imo. I'm not sure why they need so many jewelry stores but I'm sure they have their reasons. One word of advice would be to not go in between dinner times the first night. Complete zoo given the design of the ship.

Design/getting around: We were on the starboard side of deck 6 near the back stairs/elevator. We liked this location for getting around. We did not take the elevators once as thankfully we have no problems with stairs and enjoy the exercise. It is our least favorite design of the fleet because we do enjoy a walking deck that goes all the way around without interruption and deck 3 midship in the evenings is chaos. IMO poor design to have so many people in one place with diners trying to get to/from 1923 while people are taking pictures at all the backdrops. This area we tried to avoid in the evening. We also missed having stairs midship to get around.

Debarkation/Getting back to WDW: Bags had to be out the night before by 10:30 pm. We had 7:00 am breakfast in Marvel and had to be to the bus when we were done. No problem with breakfast, but now had to leave ship on deck 3 with huge bottleneck of people leaving 1923 with first breakfast while second seating was trying to get in. Complete cluster. Thankfully didn't take too long but seems like it could be done better. Once off the ship, customs was super easy, look at the camera, get the green light, and away you go. Easy to find luggage and get on the bus. We were on the bus around 8:30, left at 9:05 and dropping off people at Riviera at 10:20 and us at SSR 10:35. He had 2 more stops at Port Orleans after dropping us. Super easy way to go.

Castmembers: All of them were great! Our dining crew of Anthony (head server) and Meible (Asst) were fantastic, one of the best we have had. Our stateroom host Craig was a ninja that we rarely saw but the room was always spotless and the one time we needed some ice, he was right on it. All the bartenders, food service people, etc. were always friendly and helpful.

Shows/Fireworks: We saw all of the shows and overall they were ok. The pirate shows were fun up on the pool deck were fun and the fireworks amazing. The shows in the theatre were ok. The short show the first night was fun. The Little Mermaid was ok but many loud talkers in the crowd and well, kids that I don't think have ever seen live entertainment before and how to behave. I know I sound like the old guy I am but it is just my opinion. And people, if they say no pictures or video (and they do, numerous times), that means everyone. No special rules for those certain individuals that must think rules do not apply to them.

I think that is everything for now. Please ask questions/leave comments. We very much enjoyed the trip and have a placeholder booked for the future.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I agree with so many of them. A few things I wanted to share based on what you said!
We just returned from our wonderful 4-night Disney Wish cruise that left PC on Monday 4/8. This is now our 4th DCL ship we have been on and have now been on at least 1 of every class. My DW and I are olds (60) and traveling with no kids. We are not foodies but enjoy good food. There were things I liked, things I didn't like. Given all this, I would not hesitate to sail on this ship again. These are strictly my observations/opinions and I am not right or wrong to have these opinions. Use them as you may. Here we go.
Yes, we have done the Wish twice - and have another Merrytime Cruise booked for next year.
Getting to Port Canaveral and onboard: We took the DCL transfer from Saratoga Springs. They picked luggage up at 7 am, met in the main lobby at 9:45 and away we went shortly thereafter. Never saw our luggage again until it appeared at our cabin which was nice. We were onboard the ship after getting our name announced around 11:30-11:45 with boarding group 6. The main atrium is beautiful and seems much bigger than the other ships.
Yes, I love the atrium area.... This is controversial and my spouse feels differently and prefers the other atriums.
Dining Rooms: Our favorites in order are 1923, Marvel, Arendelle. We liked the menu at 1923 & Marvel but not the menu at Arendelle. I had the pork tenderloin at Arendelle, which was good, but the rest of the menu didn't do much for us (remember, we are not foodies). We also did not like the show at Arendelle-too long and too loud for us. (Side note-we were seated with 2 other couples our age and we had the best time at dinner. Three couples that didn't know each other the first night to now maybe planning additional cruises together!) We did enjoy the show at Marvel. Overall dining room food was very good.
I get that... I like Arendelle's food - am maybe in the minority there, but do find the show very distracting and the space not well conceived. We do love Arendelle for our embarkation lunches though!
Lounges/Bars: I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority but I liked that they were spread throughout the ship. We enjoyed events at The Bayou (try the smoked Old Fashion), Luna, Keg & Compass, and the Triton Lounge. We stopped briefly while exploring the ship the day we boarded into the Hyperspace Lounge, which looked cool, and The Rose, which we totally forgot about the rest of the trip. I usually visited multiple places every evening.
Yes! I agree with this wholeheartedly. "The District" is a cool idea but to me it falls short - especially since in practicality it isn't as "adult centric" as it claims to be. I feel like these venues work much better in practicality over the concept of the District. Also, many of those concepts in my opinion, feel dated.
Pools and pool areas: I think I am once again in the minority but I liked the adult pool area being separated up on deck 13. We both loved the comfy cushions on all the chairs and spent the entire day in Nassau in one of the big, round loungers watching funnel vision. We liked that you had to make an effort to get up there and didn't have kids/families strolling through. I never felt the pool was too crowded to get in but am confused with the design of it with the proportions of the lounging portion being off and causing you to slide. Nassau morning I rode the AquaMouse twice back-to-back without waiting and could have continued to ride it with no interruption but twice was enough. It was fun but short.
I like the adult area being separated but respectfully, compared to the Dream/Fantasy the adult area is a huge miss in terms of the practicality of it. Only one adult hot tub on the Wish is a huge miss in my view, and a pool that is impossible to swim in - at least the Dream/Fantasy provide for actual swimming - oh and the falls.
Shopping/Stores: Shopping was fine but nothing too impressive imo. I'm not sure why they need so many jewelry stores but I'm sure they have their reasons.
AGREED. Shopping feels weirdly "high end"...
Design/getting around: We were on the starboard side of deck 6 near the back stairs/elevator. We liked this location for getting around. We did not take the elevators once as thankfully we have no problems with stairs and enjoy the exercise. It is our least favorite design of the fleet because we do enjoy a walking deck that goes all the way around without interruption and deck 3 midship in the evenings is chaos. IMO poor design to have so many people in one place with diners trying to get to/from 1923 while people are taking pictures at all the backdrops. This area we tried to avoid in the evening. We also missed having stairs midship to get around.
Yes, we actually have started enjoying staying on deck 6 or so - that's where our treasure booking is. It is easier to go up and down the stairs that way.
Debarkation/Getting back to WDW: Bags had to be out the night before by 10:30 pm. We had 7:00 am breakfast in Marvel and had to be to the bus when we were done. No problem with breakfast, but now had to leave ship on deck 3 with huge bottleneck of people leaving 1923 with first breakfast while second seating was trying to get in. Complete cluster. Thankfully didn't take too long but seems like it could be done better. Once off the ship, customs was super easy, look at the camera, get the green light, and away you go.
Yes, we did it once, and not again.... Express is for us moving forward... the bottlenecks seem so bad on the Wish with debarkation.
Shows/Fireworks: We saw all of the shows and overall they were ok. The pirate shows were fun up on the pool deck were fun and the fireworks amazing. The shows in the theatre were ok. The short show the first night was fun. The Little Mermaid was ok but many loud talkers in the crowd and well, kids that I don't think have ever seen live entertainment before and how to behave. I know I sound like the old guy I am but it is just my opinion. And people, if they say no pictures or video (and they do, numerous times), that means everyone. No special rules for those certain individuals that must think rules do not apply to them.
We hate the little mermaid show and hope it is not replicated anywhere else....
I think that is everything for now. Please ask questions/leave comments. We very much enjoyed the trip and have a placeholder booked for the future.
Yes! We actually have a tradition of booking our placeholder during embarkation lunch!
Happy sailing! Can't wait to sea you on board soon!

Thank you for your review! Especially interesting hearing the perspective of a couple traveling without kids since my overall perception of the Wish was that it was a really strong choice with kids but less so for adults-only.

Also how fun that your tablemates ended up becoming good friends! We've only ever dined as a private table but sounds like in some circumstances sharing can be a boon.

Interesting that you enjoyed Marvel's show but not Arendelle -- I was the opposite. I found all the screens really distracting in Marvel but enjoyed the live music in Arendelle. I might also just be more partial to the Frozen IP over Marvel, though. I enjoyed our food at Arendelle but I did feel like they made the menu items sound much more complicated and hard to approach than they needed to be relative to the actual food.

I can't decide how I feel about the split up adult lounges vs having one adult district. I see pro's and con's to each. The lack of a real walking promenade is a bummer though, no way around that (pun intended lol).

Glad you enjoyed your cruise though! I'd definitely sail the Wish again as well.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts on the Wish. I strongly prefer the bars on the Wish over the Dream. I don’t like the District with everything being all together in a dark area of the ship, gives me basement vibes. If we were doing a couple only trip we would pick the Wish.

Arendelle was the one place where I got 2 appetizers because I couldn't choose. Arendelle was also the one place where I felt crammed in like sardines. Our table assignment actually had us at an 8 top in Marvel and we also had some breathing room in 1923, but Arendelle felt like a sardine can.

I don’t think you are alone in liking the lounges spread about. I love it! In the other ships I dislike that it feels like the bars are all tucked away in a dark corner at the end of the ship. I love being able to grab a cocktail then go carry it into the theater for the evening show without having to traverse the whole ship.

I don’t think you are alone in liking the lounges spread about. I love it! In the other ships I dislike that it feels like the bars are all tucked away in a dark corner at the end of the ship. I love being able to grab a cocktail then go carry it into the theater for the evening show without having to traverse the whole ship.

I don't think we ever made it to the bars on the Dream, whereas I stepped foot in most of them on the Wish as I was wandering around the ship before picking up my kiddo from the kids club

I love the Wish. I got to sail her in the fall of 2023.

I agree wiht the adult pool...love that it is hidden away. I enjoyed being in pool during first dinner seating, quiet and the view out the back of the ship is stunning.

I also love the bars scattered.

I am so excited I just booked a 2nd Wish cruise yesterday! I can't wait to explore this beautiful ship more.
:earsgirl::smickey:😎

Castmembers: All of them were great! Our dining crew of Anthony (head server) and Meible (Asst) were fantastic, one of the best we have had. Our stateroom host Craig was a ninja that we rarely saw but the room was always spotless and the one time we needed some ice, he was right on it. All the bartenders, food service people, etc. were always friendly and helpful.
Is Meible on the Wish?!?! She is our absolute favorite! We've only had her as an assistant server once but we always find her to say hi when she is on our ship.

Is Meible on the Wish?!?! She is our absolute favorite! We've only had her as an assistant server once but we always find her to say hi when she is on our ship.
Yes, she was wonderful as our assistant as was Anthony our head server. She even made folded paper little people for all of us and special flower bouquet and a bird for the ladies. I didn't see her give these out to any other table so we felt special. I even had her pick my wine 3 nights and she did a great job.

One other funny story about how wonderful Meible is. Dave from Buffalo at our table would have a Coors Light as soon as he sat down. Starting the first night, she brought it out wrapped in a towel like an expensive bottle of wine. She would present it to him for approval, including making a show of pointing out the blue mountains on the can. She would open the lid and hand to him to smell and approve as she poured it in his glass. Great special touch.

Nice review-and agree! Maybe because we are close in age and we sailed w/o our kids last fall. Was not sure what to think when we decided to book that cruise, but it was fun. We had a very nice time, going back this fall and tacking my "must visit again" Merritt Island birding trip on the back end of it. I do miss walking track. And I find dinning very noisy, but the cruise is short, one night of Palo (we are Platinum), perfect get away to tack on to something else we might be exploring down that way (we are from the northeast). Side note-we thoroughly enjoyed The Rose. Just a beautiful bar to pass some time.

Nice review-and agree! Maybe because we are close in age and we sailed w/o our kids last fall. Was not sure what to think when we decided to book that cruise, but it was fun. We had a very nice time, going back this fall and tacking my "must visit again" Merritt Island birding trip on the back end of it. I do miss walking track. And I find dinning very noisy, but the cruise is short, one night of Palo (we are Platinum), perfect get away to tack on to something else we might be exploring down that way (we are from the northeast). Side note-we thoroughly enjoyed The Rose. Just a beautiful bar to pass some time.
We visited The Rose after boarding then totally forgot about it! Next time...

Yes, she was wonderful as our assistant as was Anthony our head server. She even made folded paper little people for all of us and special flower bouquet and a bird for the ladies. I didn't see her give these out to any other table so we felt special. I even had her pick my wine 3 nights and she did a great job.

One other funny story about how wonderful Meible is. Dave from Buffalo at our table would have a Coors Light as soon as he sat down. Starting the first night, she brought it out wrapped in a towel like an expensive bottle of wine. She would present it to him for approval, including making a show of pointing out the blue mountains on the can. She would open the lid and hand to him to smell and approve as she poured it in his glass. Great special touch.
She is just the best. Her folded paper creations are remarkable!

On our Wish cruise, we were seated with two other couples. We are in our 50's and our dining ratings were different. We thoroughly enjoyed Arandelle. 1923 was our second choice. And Marvel came in last. I felt we had the most space in Arandelle and we love the Frozen movies, so had a great time singing along. We are fans of the Marvel movies, but we thought the show was lame and we felt we had the least space in that dining room. I've never thought of watching Funnelvision from any other deck than 11 (or 9 on Magic and Wonder). Were you in shade while watching at Nassau?

On our Wish cruise, we were seated with two other couples. We are in our 50's and our dining ratings were different. We thoroughly enjoyed Arandelle. 1923 was our second choice. And Marvel came in last. I felt we had the most space in Arandelle and we love the Frozen movies, so had a great time singing along. We are fans of the Marvel movies, but we thought the show was lame and we felt we had the least space in that dining room. I've never thought of watching Funnelvision from any other deck than 11 (or 9 on Magic and Wonder). Were you in shade while watching at Nassau?
Nope, we had the best thing on the ship...the big, round, padded lounger right by the top of the stairs going up to deck 13. It was so comfortable to lay in the sun and watch movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter