Observations from my Feb 2006 Eastern

4DisneyAddicts

Mouseketeer
Finally returning to "normal" after my trip pirate: . We (yself, DH DS4 and DS7) had a WONDERFUL time. I found the info on this board to be extremely helpful for my Type A (overorganized as DH says) personality so I thought I would share my thoughts.

First I have to say I was a little underimpressed with the spa and Palo. I had a manicure and pedicure at the spa and for the price (combined $100 before tip) I felt the services were just average. I think the next time I will have the pedi at home and think twice about the mani...I had a facial scheduled and cancelled. I decided I'd rather sleep in (8:15 am appt -I was trying to relax on the trip and was tired of always worrying about where I had to be) and spend the $110 on pictures or souveniers.

Palo was nice. The service was outstanding and the food was very good but not spectacular. I probably wouldn't bother to do dinner next time, maybe the brunch - that was better and I didn't give up dinner in a restaurant. I think I also resented having another night to dress up to eat.

Next time I think I would skip the sit down dinner once or twice and opt for a buffet. Too much dressing up (and I usually don't mind this). It's just that on a vacation like this it would be more relaxing to eat dinner out on the deck in my shorts...The dining room food was good, but not always worth the extra effort. I think the kids would appreciate a more relaxed meal once in a while too...

I definitely would not miss the Disney themed stage shows. Dreams, Golden Mickeys, and Twice Charmed were all fantastic - I'd see them again.

I will budget more $ for Shutters. I was convinced I would rely on my own pictures (and we had nearly 350) but the Shutters photos were hard to resist. They are pricey but I bought my own 6x8 package and split a 8x10 package with my sister so the prices were a little better. I took the advice from this board and tried to go at slow times. That way by the last night, when it is busiest, I only had to find the Castaway Cay pictures (the best ones of the week in my opinion). Also, I was a little disappointed that some pics were only available in 8x10. Since I split the package with my sis I only bought the couple I liked and copied them at home in a better size for scrapbooks, photo albums, etc)

Castaway Cay was my favorite day. We had nice weather so that helped. I found the majority of the souveniers I bought on the island. They had great Tshirts, hats, and other momentoes. I felt the selection was much better than on the ship. My dh AND ds7 did the stingray encounter and it was terrific. My only problem with CC was the day was too short! :mickeyjum
I bought small beach toys at Target before I left and they were well used.

The best packing tip for me was the clear shoes holders for over the doors. I brought a second one at the last minute and was glad I did. I used one for toiletries and the other for shoes. I hung them on the outside of the door so that the items were accessible to people when someone was in one of the baths.

Speaking of baths. Definitely bring Lysol or a room deodorizer. No reflection on my family, it's just that the toilet has a slight sewer smell on occasion. I brought a plug in deodorizer but I don't think it worked in the only outlet they provide. The outlet has a weak voltage. Next time I will bring a spray and a non warming unit. I found that leaving the door opened helped.

Definitely bring a light up clock, as was recommended by this board also, if you want to know the time in the dark. I found it very useful.

I brought a strip outlet for chargers, nigtlight, etc. It was Necessary! Not nearly enough outlets.

Highlighters were helpful when choosing activites from the Naviagtor. As is a folder to hold flat souvenirs and naviagtors. It kept things organized. Papers get misplaced easily when 4 people are sharing a room!

Be careful w/ room service. I ordered Mickey bars several times and once added M&Ms when I saw them on the menu ( I thought I would save them for shows, etc) When they came there was a $4.50 charge for the candy. Apparently popcorn, candy, and a few other things have a charge and I didn't read the fine print. I orderd the All Hands on Deck cheese and cracker platter as was highly recomended and took it to my sister laughing. I guess my expectations were high from all the hoopla people generated about it. I was underwhelmed. It was okay - but skimpy.

Well that is my .02 hope it helps someone like the info I read helped me.

Thanks for posting. I was on the same cruise and I loved to read from another perspective.

Thanks for the trip report! Glad you had a great time.

I had to laugh at your comment about the "all hands on deck" cheese platter. I had great expectations also on our last cruise and when it actually arrived my DH and I thought " you have to be kidding." A few crackers and unimpressive cheese, we did not order it again on the cruise. I can only assume the quality varies from time to time, because there is no way that anyone would ever rave about the dish we received. I will try it again on the next cruise. :rotfl:

OHJulie :wave:

thanks for the post--I too ordered th cheese plate and was dumbfounded because I expected something fantastic!

Im not sure what everyone raved about the platter...not something I really enjoyed.

I was unimpressed as well with the cheese platter but I was so glad to have it when I packed it for a boat/fishing excursion in Cayman. My appreciation for this platter was renewed!!! :)

I will budget more $ for Shutters. I was convinced I would rely on my own pictures (and we had nearly 350) but the Shutters photos were hard to resist. They are pricey but I bought my own 6x8 package and split a 8x10 package with my sister so the prices were a little better.
LOL, I took over 1500 pictures myself and not only bought both the 6X8 and 8X10 packages, I upgraded both of them. :teeth: I love the pictures from the ship, some of the formal portraits we had done came out really beautiful.

Glad you had a nice time! :wizard:

Linda, me too! I upgraded my 8x10 package AGAIN on Saturday morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter