Observations from a WDW veteran... LOVED IT!

tinknsnow

Mouseketeer
My family and I just returned from Disneyland. We had a wonderful time. I wanted to write some observations about DL and DCA, especially as compared to WDW. We have been to WDW many times. Since we have had children, we have gone every year since 2000. We always stay on property.

We arrived around close to midnight on Wednesday, October 5. We were pleased to see the giant Mickey Mouse as our 2-year old DS is Mickey-obsessed. He let out a huge squeal when he saw Mickey. It was a great start. The CM was extremely pleasant. He explained the layout of the hotel, told us we had been given a free upgrade from "regular concierge" to "Premium concierge." I had no idea what that was but it sounded great. He noticed my son obsessing over the bronze Mickey in the lobby and returned with an autographed photo for him.

The hotel was very attractive. It was elegant but with nice Disney touches (sort of like the Cruise Line, if you've been). Nothing over the top. We had a room just across from the elevators on the 10th floor of the Sierra tower. Our room had a view of Downtown Disney, the Matterhorn, and Tower of Terror. We had a nice view of the fireworks, and the music was audible from our room as well. The room itself was very nice-- clean and fresh, comfortable beds, and a nice-sized bathroom with double sinks and separate WC. The only negative was the water pressure and hot water. UGH! By 6:30 AM, almost all the hot water was gone. And there was barely more than a trickle of water from the showerhead. It took forever to wash my hair! The kids had fun at the pool and the waterfalls and koi ponds are nice to see. I would stay there again for sure, even with the water issues.

We spent Thursday, Saturday , and most of Sunday at DL. We hit DCA on Friday and for a few hours on Sunday. It was CROWDED! Even on the weekdays. We are used to WDW during January/February, where only Saturdays can sometimes seem crowded. But we still enjoyed it. Early Entry is great. For almost two hours on Thursday and Saturday mornings, we had Fantasyland almost to ourselves (the exception was Peter Pan-- always packed!) We learned to use FastPass to our advantage and it worked pretty well.

Let me preface the rest by saying that I am a Magic Kingdom girl all the way. When we head down to WDW for 10 nights, we typically spend 7 of those days at the MK. And I especially love Fantasyland! Therefore, I was blown away by Disneyland Park! Wow! I love it there. The buildings are fantastic, the landscaping is phenomenal, the ride queues are better, there are more rides, the attractions are almost universally better (the exceptions being Pooh and Snow White, IMO-- also PhilharMagic at WDW is a favorite of mine). There is so much more to see and do at DL than WDW's Magic Kingdom. Although lots of people are shocked to see that Sleeping Beauty's Castle is not towering over the park, I was not bothered at all by this. I think the Castle is lovely, and special in its own right. I was so excited to ride Mr. Toad after all these years (I love Pooh at WDW but I wish Mr Toad wasn't removed). That ride was just as great as I remembered. And my kids all loved it, too. It was fun to try all the different rides-- Alice, Pinocchio, Casey Jr, Storybook boats, and the Matterhorn, too. We all love the Matterhorn and we tried to ride that as often as possible. I don't see why people complain about it-- it is a great classic coaster and who can resist the Yeti's growl? LOL It was especially fun at night.

The new Space Mountain is worth the price of admission, IMO. Whoa. So fast, so loud, so fun! It's so smooth and dark-- we all (except for my DS, who is too young/small) found it much, much better than the WDW Space Mtn.

Pirates is better, longer, and with a better queue. It's A Small World is so pretty from the outside (I loved the topiaries and hedges). This attraction is the only one that looked in need of a reno to me. I saw spiderwebs on the ride, lots of worn and chipped paint, and rust.

The Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on the Haunted Mansion just rocks! So much detail and planning is obvious... we all loved it. I wouldn't ever want to see the original replaced, but I was very impressed with the whole thing. And my older daughter rode through three times (she won't even consider going to the regular HM). The building itself is beautiful-- again, so much more detail than at WDW.

Toontown was totally worth visiting at DL. My kids enjoy seeing Mickey, and they like the little Goofy's coaster and the face-painting at WDW's ToonTown, but to me it feels like an afterthought at WDW. At DL, ToonTown is filled with fun details for little ones to enjoy. My son, in partucular, got a real kick out of the character post office boxes that talk, and the door that "electrocutes" you when you open it.

DCA was fun, too. We all enjoyed it, especially Soarin'. Grizzly River Run was a favorite of my daughters. However, it didn't seem "Disney" to me, it seemed like a good amusement parks, like Six Flags. If it's any consolation to you DCA loyals, I feel the same way about EPCOT. As I said before, I am Magic Kingdom all the way.

Now for the stuff I was not impressed with:

The food. Blah. With the exception of the Blue Bayou, everything tasted like "carnival food." I think WDW restaurants, even the counter service varieties, are better by far. There are tastier healthy choices, too. The "healthy" choices at DL were to substitute carrot sticks for fries or to get your popcorn fried chicken served over a bed of salad greens. We tried Goofy's Kitchen for dinner, and for just over $100 we had mediocre food. Our section of three tables had to ask for Goofy to visit because he skipped us... and by the time Goofy came around, we had been finished with dinner for over twenty minutes and two of three kids were totally ready to leave. That was a disappointment.
There was a noticeable lack of characters at DL. We hardly saw any! Perhaps we just had bad timing, but we never saw any characters just hanging out in the park except for Goofy and Pluto in ToonTown. My girls were able to get a few autographs at "designated places" and when they did, it was all business-- just sign the books, pose for a pic, and ship 'em out. The characters seem more plentiful at WDW and always make more conversation.
The CMs were mostly polite, but no "magic". A few of them appeared totally bored and I even overheard one at DCA ranting about her "crap job" and the "stupid guests!" Yikes! I'm sure she was the exception and not long for that job anyway. LOL
The monorail ride by the city takes away from the experience for me-- seeing HoJo and McD's just doesn't feel right to me. But I'm used to WDW where it seems like you're miles away from the real world (because you are).
DL Hotel Concierge was nice. The food was good. But there was no "extra mile" (I could list several very fun surprises we've had at WDW which really made it special). It always feels worth the extra $ at WDW but I'm not sure it was at DL. We probably would not choose to pay extra again.

Overall, I think the park itself is WAY better at Disneyland. It was beautiful and very special. We will definitely go back. It was very moving to be in the original park, where Walt himself walked. As an overall "magical vacation" WDW wins. I love the choice of resorts, the feeling of isolation, the little extras that the CMs seem to do, the restaurants, and the character interaction.

Sorry this is so long! If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

ADisneyQueen said:
How did your children do with the 3 hr. time difference?
No problems at all, really.

We arrived very late (midnight) and we all got about 7 hours of rest the first night. We had long days and slept very well. We all had to get up at 4:30AM local time on Monday (that was hard, but we managed) to catch our flight. We had a connection in Denver and we sat for 2.5 hours on the runway (snow and ice). That was the hardest part of the whole trip. We were pooped when we arrived home but we got enough sleep and the kids did fine at school the next day. I didn't notice any "jet lag" either way.

It's A Small World is so pretty from the outside (I loved the topiaries and hedges). This attraction is the only one that looked in need of a reno to me. I saw spiderwebs on the ride, lots of worn and chipped paint, and rust.

I think one reason for this (not that there is any excuse) is that it is ready to go down and gets it's holiday rehab......everything is cleaned and spiffed and changed then.

Glad you and your family had a lot of fun. DL and DCA is all I know, so I'm looking forward to seeing WDW sometime soon. WDW almost looks completely overwhelming with what they have to offer, and a 4-6 days seem hardly enough time to even dent it. Being a DL native, I have to agree about the food offerings. I only really enjoy the Blue Bayou in DL and the Boudin Bakery over in DCA, the rest if I'm really hungry. :rotfl:

Great report--do you think it was as busy as it was due to the holiday weekend?

What is the difference between regular concierge and the premium that they bumped you up to?

How did you go into the park for EE--did you ever use the monorail to do so and how did that work for getting into the park on time? If you lined up at the front gates, what time did you get there (how many minutes before EE opening?)

noryglory said:
Great report--do you think it was as busy as it was due to the holiday weekend?
Perhaps, although local schools did not have that Monday off for Columbus Day like we did. I had read that Saturdays are always busy and that was definitely the case-- as crowded as it seemed to us on Thursday, it was nothing compared to Saturday!

noryglory said:
What is the difference between regular concierge and the premium that they bumped you up to?
I am still not sure. :confused3 I think Premium had a view of DTD and the parks and perhaps the daybed was additional, too.

noryglory said:
How did you go into the park for EE--did you ever use the monorail to do so and how did that work for getting into the park on time? If you lined up at the front gates, what time did you get there (how many minutes before EE opening?)
We always entered via monorail. The monorail takes you directly *into* the park, unlike at WDW. This was both good and bad, IMO. Good--because you were close to the action of Fantasyland (my favorite) when you arrive. Bad-- because we were renting a stroller every day (the FREE w/DISNEY VISA deal) so we'd have a couple hours without the stroller and then have to walk all the way to the park's entrance to get it.

There was a pretty long line for the monorail our first day for EE. We were on the 3rd train (and it seemed like a forever wait because they don't have many trains running and also because we were so anxious to get started!) and we got into Fantasyland at about 25 minutes into EE. Lots of wasted time. :blush: The next time we tried EE, we got there right away (we lined up sooner and got on the first train in) and were very glad we did.

Typically we'd take the monorail in and walk back to the DLH so we could shop. Our last night we took advantage of the monorail because we were all so beat. We should have used that more often-- there is a "Resort Guest Only" line that is wonderful when there is a long queue.

The only time we waited at the actual park entrance was on a Friday for DCA. It opened at 10, we arrived at about 9:30 and there was a hearty-sized line. It took about 15-20 minutes to get in once they opened. We headed straight for Soarin' (which seemed to be the plan of most people LOL). What a great ride!

Hi Tinknsnow -
We go to DL several times a year and have been to WDW 4 times. We just returned a few weeks ago and I feel like I could have written the same report you did! IASW at WDW looks so much newer and the costumes and dolls neater and there is more detail to them. I also love the end with pastel colored hair on all the dolls. We don't have that here. And I agree about the food. We have just learned to always eat at a few favorite spots because most of the park food is just okay. I also miss the People Mover, I rode Transit Authority three times! And the COP was a treat as it has been gone from DL for many years. I think the Innoventions we have there now is just a waste of good space. Anyway, thanks for the great report and glad you and your family had a magical time :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Just had to thank you so much for your report - I read every word...After many trips to WDW, we are planning on DL in January....Your comparisons were very interesting and very much appreciated.......Thanks for the insight.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter