Obamacare success stories please

I have been at the same company for 22 years this year. I have never had one year, not one that my health insurance premiums have not gone up.

NOT ONE.

Sorry guys to blame this on the ACA is a gross misrepresentation.

True, but there are lots of things that are required to be covered on ObamaCare that weren't before.

I tried to get an exact list earlier this AM but had trouble finding one.

FACTCheck, calculates that the new rule is only causing about a 1-3% increase.

It's an excellent article called Factchecking health insurance. I didn't put a link because it mentions political parties but if you google it, it will be easy to find. It will tell you a lot of the new stuff that the aca covers.

True, but there are lots of things that are required to be covered on ObamaCare that weren't before.

And that's a bad thing? Why? I'm hoping hearing aids will now be covered, or at least partially. Those suckers cost a fortune!

Married my hubby. He was army. Tricare sick calls sucked. Can we say 3-5 hrs wait times. Honey you don't have free health care it is earned, without people like your husband we might not have the freedoms we have today. That's not lip service or PC talk because I'm not.lol

:worship: My dad was Navy. I remember my mom constantly fighting with Tricare over the dumbest things. Thank your husband for his service. I may not deal with Tricare, but I understand what you go through.

Interesting to hear the point of view of Tricare clients. From the other side, I hear that reimbursements to doctors are terrible.

So we have a government program that provides poor service to military, and doesn't like to reimburse doctors properly. But the government can say that it is a 'Free benefit!' and take credit for 'providing services'.

I wonder if Ocare will be run the same way.

I like to think as the military health care system as a microcosm of what socialized medical care will be like.
You get care, it takes a lot of time and it may not always be in a timely fashion- you will do a lot of waiting.

I am thinking the Tricare example is going to be the best example on how this new system will work. Now in Tricare's defense when I was on smaller bases I had an easier time with the Tricare. I live now in a huge military town and having one heck of a time.

For example this is a situation that has happened to me within the last two week. I found out I was pregnant, took a home pregnancy test and freaked out. I'm 27 but was told five years ago when my husband and I tried to have another child that due to some medical issues I would not be able to conceive kids without medical attention. Needless to say seeing a positive pregnancy test I was confused and very scared it was not a viable pregnancy. Also due to my medical issues I had no idea how far along I was however knew for pretty sure I was months along. I called the medical number I have to schedule an appointment for a blood test. I was transferred FOUR times before someone would talk to me. When I finally spoke to the nurse, explained to her my whole situation (which I had also done 4 times) and she told me they wouldn't give me a pregnancy test and that an at home test was the best I could do. She schedule me for a general meeting that all pregnant women have to do to fill out paperwork and go from there. The meeting they originally scheduled me for was over a week away (almost two weeks. I called on Tuesday and they scheduled me for the following Friday). I eventually called back and they shoved in me the next day.

The appointment was for 1:15 the base hospital I am REQUIRED to go to is 15-20 minutes away without traffic. I pulled my daughter out of school since they only did the meetings at 2 o'clock and my husband comes home whenever his command lets him. He doesn't have solid hours that you can count on. Not to mention the 20 minutes it takes to find a parking spot in the parking garage. Anyway so went to the meeting spoke sat there for an hour going over information that I mostly knew already and filling out paperwork. Then I met with a nurse who scheduled me for the fist available appointment which was the following Friday. I asked if there was any way I could see someone sooner. I just wanted to know if the pregnancy is viable I take medications that are VERY important to have correct when pregnant. I was told my thyroid test had to be submitted by a doctor but they had put in for my first pregnancy labs to be done. I asked if there was anyway I could get any test today to make sure the pregnancy was viable or if something else was going on. The nurse told me to go to the ER (in the naval hospital) and they could do an ultrasound.

I leave the women's health area and go down to the ER. The ER receptionist looks at me like I'm nuts. I explain the whole situation (again) to her and she puts me in the system. When I go back for my vitals she asks if I have taken a pregnancy test there. I told her no and repeated what I was told about the home test. She told me someone gave me misinformation and gave me a cup. I get back into a room pretty quickly. The doctor comes in acts confused about what I want and has to talk to someone above her to see what they can do. Long story short it takes 7 HOURS for me to have my blood drawn and the labs run the tests. I'm super emotional and upset. My poor 7 year old is bored out of her mind. My husband is furious that it's taking so long and that I'm upset. Eventually once the labs come back with the positive pregnancy results I'm given an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay and the baby isn't where it shouldn't be. The results of the ultrasound are that I'm 12 weeks along and everything is good.

I'm sure not many people would stand for this. Every time I call for anything I am pretty much going to be told I was given wrong information. In fact I have a written doctors note telling me to call Radiology for an Ultrasound this Monday. I called and they told me to call back on the 15th. I have been called at 4:30 that my labs have come back and I need a new prescription come to the hospital to pick them up. I do not enjoy going to the doctors and this just adds to my stress. Not to mention I am pretty much at their mercy for how delivering a baby is going to go. Just imagine seeing a different doctor every time you go who has a different opinion on what they think is best for you.

When I have gotten referrals to see doctors outside of the military office I usually do not have a say in who I am going to see. Once for physical therapy I had to drive 20 minutes one way for a half hour session twice a week. I ended up just not going and working on it at home since it was so much hassle.

I'm sorry to be so long winded and I'm sure for some people this is TMI however I think the health care system the government is already running is a good example on what they are going to do for the rest of the population. Yes it's better than nothing but that is about it.

Here is some information from FACTCHECK. I like that website.

Health insurance premiums for employer-sponsored family plans jumped a startling 9 percent from 2010 to 2011, and some have blamed the federal health care law. But they exaggerate. The law  the bulk of which has yet to be implemented  has caused only about a 1 percent to 3 percent increase in premiums, according to several independent experts. The rest of the 9 percent rise is due to rising health care costs, as usual.

Furthermore, the increase caused by the law is a result of the increased benefits it requires, a factor Republicans generally ignore. So far, insurance companies have been required to do the following:

Now 1-3% is still an increase but the overall cost of health insurance is jumping substantially.

You should "factcheck" Factcheck. If you look, Factcheck is a project of the Annenberg School and is funded by the Annenberg Foundation. The same foundation the provided a multimillion dollar grant to Chicago schools and secured primarily through the efforts of Bill Ayers - Chairman of the Board was none other than the party the new insurance is named for! Not exactly who I would turn to for a neutral evaluation and I would skeptically consider what they are putting out to cheerleading. Annenberg is also the same group that has been running the "Ask Emily" campaign to boost support for the cause. That your quote singles out a particular PARTY for ridicule should also be a clue that they may not be speaking from a "fact neutral" perspective.

Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that a 1-3% increase is typical and can not be attributed to implementation of the ACA, how do you account for the poster's increase that exceeds 17%? Are the people who are posting increases that exceed the 3% mark just unlucky?

Congrats on baby hunny. Hopefully they will kick you out of the madness for high risk pg and send you to private dr.

Yeah, well there were a lot of things on my old health insurance I didn't use too. I'm not too likely to get testicular cancer. Or need services for ADHD. I'm now covering a 30 year old woman's maternity, and she is covering my yearly mammograms.

Insurance isn't supposed to be fee for service, and if you want fee for service, opt out and pay the much smaller tax penalty, and fee for service.

Karlzmom said:
You should "factcheck" Factcheck. If you look, Factcheck is a project of the Annenberg School and is funded by the Annenberg Foundation. The same foundation the provided a multimillion dollar grant to Chicago schools and secured primarily through the efforts of Bill Ayers - Chairman of the Board was none other than the party the new insurance is named for! Not exactly who I would turn to for a neutral evaluation and I would skeptically consider what they are putting out to cheerleading. Annenberg is also the same group that has been running the "Ask Emily" campaign to boost support for the cause. That your quote singles out a particular PARTY for ridicule should also be a clue that they may not be speaking from a "fact neutral" perspective.

Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that a 1-3% increase is typical and can not be attributed to implementation of the ACA, how do you account for the poster's increase that exceeds 17%? Are the people who are posting increases that exceed the 3% mark just unlucky?

No, but if you take into account that these numbers are averages. Averages means that some people are going to have higher premiums. No one is denying that. are the increases the sole result of the Aca? Considering the rate of increases over the last 30 years, its highly doubtful.

Well I have pushed more buttons than I can count this morning.

I could give arguments to each and every one of you, but clearly, it wouldn't do one bit of good.

I will keep in the spirit of this thread.

ObamaCare is a wonderful law that we will all love.

I am thinking the Tricare example is going to be the best example on how this new system will work. Now in Tricare's defense when I was on smaller bases I had an easier time with the Tricare. I live now in a huge military town and having one heck of a time.

For example this is a situation that has happened to me within the last two week. I found out I was pregnant, took a home pregnancy test and freaked out. I'm 27 but was told five years ago when my husband and I tried to have another child that due to some medical issues I would not be able to conceive kids without medical attention. Needless to say seeing a positive pregnancy test I was confused and very scared it was not a viable pregnancy. Also due to my medical issues I had no idea how far along I was however knew for pretty sure I was months along. I called the medical number I have to schedule an appointment for a blood test. I was transferred FOUR times before someone would talk to me. When I finally spoke to the nurse, explained to her my whole situation (which I had also done 4 times) and she told me they wouldn't give me a pregnancy test and that an at home test was the best I could do. She schedule me for a general meeting that all pregnant women have to do to fill out paperwork and go from there. The meeting they originally scheduled me for was over a week away (almost two weeks. I called on Tuesday and they scheduled me for the following Friday). I eventually called back and they shoved in me the next day.

The appointment was for 1:15 the base hospital I am REQUIRED to go to is 15-20 minutes away without traffic. I pulled my daughter out of school since they only did the meetings at 2 o'clock and my husband comes home whenever his command lets him. He doesn't have solid hours that you can count on. Not to mention the 20 minutes it takes to find a parking spot in the parking garage. Anyway so went to the meeting spoke sat there for an hour going over information that I mostly knew already and filling out paperwork. Then I met with a nurse who scheduled me for the fist available appointment which was the following Friday. I asked if there was any way I could see someone sooner. I just wanted to know if the pregnancy is viable I take medications that are VERY important to have correct when pregnant. I was told my thyroid test had to be submitted by a doctor but they had put in for my first pregnancy labs to be done. I asked if there was anyway I could get any test today to make sure the pregnancy was viable or if something else was going on. The nurse told me to go to the ER (in the naval hospital) and they could do an ultrasound.

I leave the women's health area and go down to the ER. The ER receptionist looks at me like I'm nuts. I explain the whole situation (again) to her and she puts me in the system. When I go back for my vitals she asks if I have taken a pregnancy test there. I told her no and repeated what I was told about the home test. She told me someone gave me misinformation and gave me a cup. I get back into a room pretty quickly. The doctor comes in acts confused about what I want and has to talk to someone above her to see what they can do. Long story short it takes 7 HOURS for me to have my blood drawn and the labs run the tests. I'm super emotional and upset. My poor 7 year old is bored out of her mind. My husband is furious that it's taking so long and that I'm upset. Eventually once the labs come back with the positive pregnancy results I'm given an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay and the baby isn't where it shouldn't be. The results of the ultrasound are that I'm 12 weeks along and everything is good.

I'm sure not many people would stand for this. Every time I call for anything I am pretty much going to be told I was given wrong information. In fact I have a written doctors note telling me to call Radiology for an Ultrasound this Monday. I called and they told me to call back on the 15th. I have been called at 4:30 that my labs have come back and I need a new prescription come to the hospital to pick them up. I do not enjoy going to the doctors and this just adds to my stress. Not to mention I am pretty much at their mercy for how delivering a baby is going to go. Just imagine seeing a different doctor every time you go who has a different opinion on what they think is best for you.

When I have gotten referrals to see doctors outside of the military office I usually do not have a say in who I am going to see. Once for physical therapy I had to drive 20 minutes one way for a half hour session twice a week. I ended up just not going and working on it at home since it was so much hassle.

I'm sorry to be so long winded and I'm sure for some people this is TMI however I think the health care system the government is already running is a good example on what they are going to do for the rest of the population. Yes it's better than nothing but that is about it.

First of all, congratulations on your baby :cool1:! I'm sending out positive vibes to you for a great pregnancy {{hugs}}.

But ... (you knew there had to be one :rotfl:) I am confused about why you are so upset.

It seems that you were fast tracked for the initial appointment but that wasn't good enough because it didn't include an ultrasound then and there. So, you went to the ER and where neither the receptionist nor the doctor could figure out exactly what the emergency was so you went over their heads and demanded that the ultrasound be done. While there you were probably triaged as a non-emergency so you had to wait longer. You are also upset that you can only go to one hospital, it takes 15-20 minutes to get there, the parking sucks and that you are not seen by the same doctor every time.

Here's a News Flash for you. It would be NO DIFFERENT with private insurance. (1) People with private insurance are either required or monetarily encouraged to go to a specific "in network" hospital and group of doctors. (2) 15-20 minutes is nothing when it comes to driving to a hospital or clinic. I live in downtown Madison, WI and all of my doctors are 5 miles away near the University. It is STILL a 15 minute drive because of the timing of the lights. (3) the hospital where I am receiving my radiation therapy has a parking lot from hell. I just have to add time to park and get to my appointment. (4) As for seeing different doctors, that happens in private practices too. They have groups of doctors who work together and you get "luck of the draw" ... which is actually good for OB's because you can never be sure who will be on call when your baby decides it's time. (5) ERs are for emergencies, not requests. If you don't have a true emergency you will be made to wait while the real emergencies are taken care of. (6) Your fear of doctors has nothing to do with your quality of care.

FWIW, I guess I understand about your medical issues, but I wonder why you were so transfixed on the viability of your pregnancy. Couldn't you have had your medication adjusted to the pregnancy levels until you could get in for an ultrasound?

Oh, FTR I am a Navy Brat so I grew up with military doctors. My mom would drive me 2 hours north to Great Lakes Naval Base and I almost never saw the same doctor twice. Big Whoop.

Well I have pushed more buttons than I can count this morning.

I could give arguments to each and every one of you, but clearly, it wouldn't do one bit of good.

I will keep in the spirit of this thread.

ObamaCare is a wonderful law that we will all love.

LOL of course it's not. There are very few laws that we all love, once you get pass those covered by that guy Moses a long time ago.

I do think one of the problems we have now with many of our entitlement programs is that we ignore them for century's and we delude ourselves that any change is bad. like I've posted previously, we've pretty much known our health care system was lousy for quite a while. It's long been unsustainable, yet people swear it's wonderful. Don't get that.

I think the best anyone can do is pretty much gather information.
Now for me, the ACA is not a big change, as I have employee benefits, which I can retain. Which I knew.

So I look at some overall things.
1) Health care cost have been rising for the last 30 years and they have been raising almost at double digit percentage. Long before ACA.
2) The health care system in this country is based purely on your ability to pay. If you can pay, the chances are much greater that you will get halfway decent care. If you cannot pay the chances are much greater that you will get no care or substandard care.
3) I have been at my job over 20 years, every year my premiums have gone up. I see no reason why that trend will not continue until I retire.
4) Health care cost are chewing up more and more of our GDP. Either we deal with it or we don't but it ain't pixie dust so it's not going to magically disappear. To say "we don't want to pay for other people" is illogical. WE already do that.
5) The average families health care premiums have also increased in the last 10 years by some times double digits but every year they've increased faster than the rate of inflation and darn sure faster than peoples income. Once again, you can pretend that this is a new development all you want.

6) the guys supposedly fixing things are meatheads.

and lastly whether or not this new law will help or create a bigger mess is yet to be seen.

I don't profess to understand all the ins and outs of Obamacare yet; especially since we are currently with my husband's union plan. I can only tell you our experiences since Health Care reform began.
Prior to the reforms, we paid the dentist, optmetrist, primary and orthodontist over $600/month (which we could not afford) for services that exceeded our union health care plan's very small yearly cap. That was just for the kids! Because of this we had to choose who we could afford to send to the doctor and when. The kids came first, so my husband and I were rarely was able to go. And my health declined because of it.
I am chronically ill, unable to work and we do not qualify for any kind of assistance because I became disabled while being a mom. We have only one income to deal our health problems.
Because of health care reform, the union can no longer cap our children's healthcare. Most of them are teenagers now and don't require as much care but still my husband and I have finally been able to go to the dentist and the eye doctor for the first time in years. And our monthly doctor's payments have been greatly reduced.
Because of my illness, my husband has tolerated a tyrant for a boss. His employer, who was his partner, knows he needs to stay where he is because of my healthcare. If he loses his job, no one will insure me because of my illness. So, he has used this to his advantage and after first swindling him out of the business; cut his pay repeatedly, took away his bonuses, gas reimbursements and vacation time. He wanted to start a new business at one point but we were told no one would insure me. With Obamacare, I may no longer be the albatross around my husband's neck. Hopefully, he may be able to start a new business. And I may be able to get the care I was previously denied; the care I need to stay alive at least into my fifties.
I know this is not a perfect plan. Far from it. But it, like any of our laws, will have to be amended and will continue to evolve over time. But we had to take the leap sometime. If we never start, we will never arrive. Healthcare has been discussed and debated repeatedly over the years while people have died. My case is very minor compared to others who are out there suffering much worse. My brother was unable to purchase healthcare because of his wife's breast cancer. The entire bill ended up being funded by the taxpayers because they were uninsured. He was ready, willing and able to pay for their own healthcare plan but not allowed to purchase it due to preexisting conditions. So, in the end, taxpayers paid for her care. She had much better care than I do with our union health plan. While extremely risky, that made living uninsured look appealing. Now, under Obamacare, they will be able to buy their own healthcare, as they had always wanted.
It will be abused, like everything in our society. Whenever money is involved you will find people ready and willing to exploit and corrupt the system. Ultimately, the only true deterrent for this is to raise our children to understand right and wrong. But in my opinion these are necessary evils that must be endured for those that are out there suffering and in true need.
Sorry, this was long... but up to this point, my family has only seen the benefits.
This thread was a good idea. It can be difficult for many to see the good that will come from this law. These laws were put into place for those who are in need, I think you need to be the one of the ones who were suffering to see any benefit. And thankfully, many Americans enjoy good health. I don't want to restart the debate or get flamed, I just wanted to tell the OP that there are success stories out there.

Not my personal story, but a friend of mine who is an attorney is about to enroll in health insurance for the first time in ages, because she has had two bouts of cancer and nobody wanted to cover her. She is in her early 30s.

Yes, it is going to take time to work the kinks out. But the Affordable Care Act is VASTLY better than the system we used to have.

My dad was in active service (Navy) when he died and my 74-year old mom is a dependent in Medicare with Tricare as her secondary. My experiences of the military health care system (both as a child and now through her) are VERY positive. My mom has been in and out of the hospital and in and out of a nursing home and she has paid a big fat $0 for it all. I am not exaggerating when I say that once I retire I hope that I am able to afford secondary medical coverage that is as good as Tricare :thumbsup2.

Maybe the issues that your parents are experiencing are from going to a Veteran's Hospital? My mom goes to her local hospital and sees a regular non-military doctor.

Nope- they go to the same hospital as they did in active duty, not a VA hospital, a regular military hospital on base, but as Megkel pointed out below, care in areas with a high military population is vastly different than in smaller populations. NoVa has an extremely high military population.

And you are totally correct- non-military doctors are the way to go for Tricare. Too bad my folks don't see it that way.:sad2:

:hug: Sorry it is so stressful and frustrating.
And I think your experience is rather typical to the system.
Run around, run around. :mad:
Congratulations on your pregnancy! :goodvibes

Now you have to prove that the increase is due to the ACA.

Considering that according to the kaiser foundation which tracks these things. Insurance premiums for American families have risen 131% over the last 10 years.

The last 5 years the average insurance premiums rise has been 9%. So lets see, 450 time 9%. It almost a guarantee that you would have seen an increase of at least 40 bucks.

So the assumption that this was caused by the ACA is false. If insurance premiums have been rising exponentially over the last 10 years, it's a pretty safe bet they would have gone up regardless.

Or is every one saying that their premiums have been the same for the last few years?

Here is some information from FACTCHECK. I like that website.

Health insurance premiums for employer-sponsored family plans jumped a startling 9 percent from 2010 to 2011, and some have blamed the federal health care law. But they exaggerate. The law — the bulk of which has yet to be implemented — has caused only about a 1 percent to 3 percent increase in premiums, according to several independent experts. The rest of the 9 percent rise is due to rising health care costs, as usual.

Furthermore, the increase caused by the law is a result of the increased benefits it requires, a factor Republicans generally ignore. So far, insurance companies have been required to do the following:

Now 1-3% is still an increase but the overall cost of health insurance is jumping substantially.

You don't like his example, how about mine. I buy insurance on the individual market. So, no employer contribution.

My premium this year has been $179 a month. They have offered me an early renewal option.

Early Renewal Option - HSA Plan, $2,500 deductible, 0% after that, 44-45 year old male Dec.1 2013 - Nov 30 2014 premium $182 month.
New Exchange Option - HSA plan - $2,000 deductible, 0% after that, 45 year old male, Jan 1 2014 - Dec 31 2014 $463 a month before subsidy. My estimated subsidy depending on calculator has varied from $150 - $230 a month.

In July of 2011, I was with another company and had a lower deductible at the time. I had a 29% increase in premiums $165 a month to $214 a month and a $1,500 deductible.

I will say, premium have stayed fairly steady for a couple of years. No increase 2012-2013, and small increase 2013-early renewal 2014. If Obama wants to claim credit via the ACA for that, we can assign blame for my 160%+ difference in premiums on the "final" parts of the ACA.

Getting to the original point of the thread. I have been successful in creating an account and entering in information. But online identity verification messed up so I still can't get a complete list of plans and subsidy.

First of all, congratulations on your baby :cool1:! I'm sending out positive vibes to you for a great pregnancy {{hugs}}.

But ... (you knew there had to be one :rotfl:) I am confused about why you are so upset.

It seems that you were fast tracked for the initial appointment but that wasn't good enough because it didn't include an ultrasound then and there. So, you went to the ER and where neither the receptionist nor the doctor could figure out exactly what the emergency was so you went over their heads and demanded that the ultrasound be done. While there you were probably triaged as a non-emergency so you had to wait longer. You are also upset that you can only go to one hospital, it takes 15-20 minutes to get there, the parking sucks and that you are not seen by the same doctor every time.

Here's a News Flash for you. It would be NO DIFFERENT with private insurance. (1) People with private insurance are either required or monetarily encouraged to go to a specific "in network" hospital and group of doctors. (2) 15-20 minutes is nothing when it comes to driving to a hospital or clinic. I live in downtown Madison, WI and all of my doctors are 5 miles away near the University. It is STILL a 15 minute drive because of the timing of the lights. (3) the hospital where I am receiving my radiation therapy has a parking lot from hell. I just have to add time to park and get to my appointment. (4) As for seeing different doctors, that happens in private practices too. They have groups of doctors who work together and you get "luck of the draw" ... which is actually good for OB's because you can never be sure who will be on call when your baby decides it's time. (5) ERs are for emergencies, not requests. If you don't have a true emergency you will be made to wait while the real emergencies are taken care of. (6) Your fear of doctors has nothing to do with your quality of care.

FWIW, I guess I understand about your medical issues, but I wonder why you were so transfixed on the viability of your pregnancy. Couldn't you have had your medication adjusted to the pregnancy levels until you could get in for an ultrasound?

Oh, FTR I am a Navy Brat so I grew up with military doctors. My mom would drive me 2 hours north to Great Lakes Naval Base and I almost never saw the same doctor twice. Big Whoop.

My upset for the system is for multiple reasons. I was upset that I wasn't being taken seriously the first time. I have proven (in my Naval medical records) that I have hypothyroidism, and polycystic ovary syndrome. A Naval medical doctor told me as well as a specialist that I could not, would not become pregnant without medical intervention. In addition to this my husband and I had been apart for an extend amount of time. That being the case I knew for a fact the chance of me not being able to get pregnant and then the chances of it happening over the random weekend he was back from deployment. Chances were that it was a false positive which would mean to me (since I took 5 different tests) that there was something wrong with me. The reasons for a false positive are a stomach tumor, ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, Choriocarcinoma (a highly aggressive form of cancer), or another tumor. I didn't want to go to a class with a whole bunch of happy pregnant women not knowing. That is a horror story to me. Wanting a child you can not have and trying every month to be disappointed. Then to finally give up on that "dream" just to turn around to have a positive pregnancy test. Knowing the chances are nearly impossible that they are right or I am going to be in for a long extensive hospital stay. All I wanted was for someone to tell me yes you are for sure pregnant OR no you are not pregnant we have to do more testing. I didn't realize asking that of my medical provider was to much. Instead I should have waited the four weeks it would have taken to figure things out. I had to push in order to get the answers I have right now. It might sound a bit dramatic now however only because it turned out to be the slim to nothing chance I was just pregnant.

I didn't go over anyone's heads. I never raised my voice or kicked up a stink. All I did was ask if there was something that could be done today to get answers. Heck when I first called all I wanted was a simple blood test. I wasn't asking for an ultrasound. The only reason that anything about an ultrasound came up is because that is what the nurse said when I asked what could be done. I never demanded to talk to anyone never threatened, never said anything than this is what I was told to do. The ER doctor and the receptionist couldn't understand why obygn wouldn't just give me a simple pregnancy test.

I'm not understanding why you don't think it would be any different with a private insurance. I have had a child before with private insurance. My mom has had five kids with private insurance. My friend is having a child with private insurance. We all saw the same doctor every visit. Unless there was an emergency or a birth the same doctor every time was scheduled to see me. I am not so sure everyone is working together since when I was admitted to the ER they had me take a pregnancy test. The doctor asked me twice if I had taken one and the nurse asked me once. As far as I know it was never even tested just the blood sample.

I'm not complaining about the drive. My complaint is that I am to arrive to my appointment 15 minutes early. Plus the 15-20 minute drive if there is no traffic plus the 15-20 minutes to find a parking spot. I leave an hour before my appointment to make sure I am there on time. Sure if I was seeing the doctor once every three months a little headache is nothing. However the further into my pregnancy I am the more often I am going including to give birth. Last time I was there I had to park on the 5th floor, walk down five flights of stairs (I didn't know where the elevator was and didn't have time to look) and walked the length and width of the parking structure because I had parked at the back left in the one spot I could find. Not so sure I want to do that 6-8 months pregnant honestly.

I do not have an irrational fear of doctors. I am not scared to go to the doctors. It's highly frustrating to go to the doctors. I hate going because of the experiences I have had at this doctors. No one likes going. That was one example of one time I have been there. I didn't go into the hour trip for the prescription that the doctor put in four hours before I arrived. Pills in a bottle that is all nothing to mix and the doctor I see is in the hospital with the pharmacy!

FWIW, I guess I understand about your medical issues, but I wonder why you were so transfixed on the viability of your pregnancy. Couldn't you have had your medication adjusted to the pregnancy levels until you could get in for an ultrasound?.

I asked the nurse about if I could have a test ordered for my thyroid levels. She said a doctor was the only one who could issue those tests and it could be done at my appointment the following Friday. I actually had to make an appointment with my normal internal medicine doctor the next day so that I could get the situation addressed. I saw her on Wednesday and on Friday was able to pick up my prescription.

I am a very simple person. I didn't need a due date, a gender, a picture, or a heartbeat. I never even saw the baby or heard a heartbeat or knew anything other than it was a normal healthy pregnancy until I went to the obygn appointment. All I wanted to know is if I was honestly pregnant and if the baby's life was in danger. I didn't feel like I was asking for anything crazy. I don't think I was asking for someone to go above and beyond. I'm not sure why I shouldn't expect to get those simple answers from a doctor who is suppose to be concerned about my health.

Hide sight is 20/20 and I do realize the story has a happy ending. My meds did need adjusting and now I am on the right dosage. I won't know if three months without the right dose had any ill effects on the baby until he/she is born. The point to the story is that everyone is going to be treated the same. They had every intention on putting me in a class and waiting for my appointment to even check to make sure there was something there. Calling the first time I wouldn't have seen a doctor till a month later because that is the norm.

I get that people have to drive further than 15-20 minutes and that is great if you are seeing the doctor on a rare occasion. That is fine if you are just going for a physical or shots. I wouldn't want to make a four hour round trip for a doctor visit but that is just me. However doing that trip every week I'm sure you would see as excessive.

Megkel, congratulations on your pregnancy. It seems like your complaints are not at all about the ACA and all about military hospitals.

Megkel, congratulations on your pregnancy. It seems like your complaints are not at all about the ACA and all about military hospitals.

Thank you. Yes I obviously don't have to worry about the ACA since I have medical that I assume will not change. I don't know how the story spiraled so far lol but I came in originally to explain that the insurance I have now from the government controls things like how often I can refill my medication. It's just the closest thing I can compare to what will happen with the ACA. I had no issues on smaller bases where the population wasn't overwhelming. However know that I'm in a much larger area (three plus naval bases, Air Force, and Marines) it's much more of a problem.

I don't have a dog in this fight just more good for thought as far as how well the government insurance is currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter