Obamacare success stories please

I just received my 2014 benefit information today. My premium has not increased for health it vision, and has increased by only $1 per paycheck for dental. We also have more health plan options available.

I'm counting that as a success story from where I am concerned as someone who is already insured.

We have insurance through my husband's employer. We have no changes, no increases.
There is one difference-my 22 year old dd (who has her own full time job with benefits) can actually go back onto our policy I believe. That might be a savings for her and will cost us nothing since we have "family coverage" to cover our younger dd. It is the same cost for one or two kids.
So is mine a success story?

I have been trying for a week now to just get basic info and cannot get past the log-in page (after finally getting a log-in name on Sat......took hours just for that). My underemployed college grad kids can no longer afford the $400/month each it is costing them....we are trying to make budget plans.

Thanks in advance. Were you able to find out any info for yourself?

I have to ask why are YOU the one spending hours doing this?? Let those underemployed college grad "kids" do the work!! (I guess I must be a mean mom!)
At least that might ease some of your frustration!
(hope you eventually get through)

The next thing will be the insurance company deciding how much insulin they'll pay for every month. Doesn't matter how much your doctor prescribed or how much you use or actually need.

This is probably more likely than you think. I have Tricare (my husband is military) and they will ration out my prescriptions for my thyroid. My doctor usually puts in three refills for me at a time. Tricare will not fill my refill until the last bottle is almost out. If I lose my prescription I have to call my doctor to put in a new script instead of just going to pick up a refill.

Please if anyone is going to tell me how ungrateful I am for having "free" healthcare keep it to yourself. Unless you have dealt with the military healthcare system you will not understand how frustrating it is.

We have insurance through my husband's employer. We have no changes, no increases.
There is one difference-my 22 year old dd (who has her own full time job with benefits) can actually go back onto our policy I believe. That might be a savings for her and will cost us nothing since we have "family coverage" to cover our younger dd. It is the same cost for one or two kids.
So is mine a success story?

Hope so is this prices for 2014, what about drug, dental, vision no changes at all to total cost of plan.. Got my fingers crossed. Adding you daughter is really great news, as a mom love to protect my kids.

Oh your in the pissed off stage, I was there for about month. Almost over it, still have my moments. Dis board has really been great therapy and cheap lol

OMG, I am 50 years old, I think I was born in the "pissed off stage" :rotfl:

It has been fun. Have a good night.

This is probably more likely than you think. I have Tricare (my husband is military) and they will ration out my prescriptions for my thyroid. My doctor usually puts in three refills for me at a time. Tricare will not fill my refill until the last bottle is almost out. If I lose my prescription I have to call my doctor to put in a new script instead of just going to pick up a refill.

Please if anyone is going to tell me how ungrateful I am for having "free" healthcare keep it to yourself. Unless you have dealt with the military healthcare system you will not understand how frustrating it is.

Married my hubby. He was army. Tricare sick calls sucked. Can we say 3-5 hrs wait times. Honey you don't have free health care it is earned, without people like your husband we might not have the freedoms we have today. That's not lip service or PC talk because I'm not.lol

:worship: My dad was Navy. I remember my mom constantly fighting with Tricare over the dumbest things. Thank your husband for his service. I may not deal with Tricare, but I understand what you go through.

Married my hubby. He was army. Tricare sick calls sucked. Can we say 3-5 hrs wait times. Honey you don't have free health care it is earned, without people like your husband we might not have the freedoms we have today. That's not lip service or PC talk because I'm not.lol

Interesting to hear the point of view of Tricare clients. From the other side, I hear that reimbursements to doctors are terrible.

So we have a government program that provides poor service to military, and doesn't like to reimburse doctors properly. But the government can say that it is a 'Free benefit!' and take credit for 'providing services'.

I wonder if Ocare will be run the same way.

Tricare is closes thing we have to social med program. Care wasn't horrible that we received.

Don't make any plans for day if you have to take kid or yourself to one of the clinics.

Maybe they changed it haven't been in almost 20 years wow I'm getting old.

Gee, all these companies must have met in the clubhouse and said, "Let's all go up on our prices right before Obamacare kicks in.".

It couldn't possibly be all the extra things they are now forced to cover. Nah, couldn't be.

Congrats! Can you tell us are you large group, small group, union?

I work two jobs actually.
In throne I am insured through I work for a larger company that is actually not in the best financial shape. So I was relieved to see this as from all conversations as most people I know continually scared me into believing my premiums would go up.

Unfortunately I'm not a small business owner so I can't say much to that. But regarding the exchange website bugs, I think the sheer volume if people attempting to get into it shows that healthcare is needed badly. My younger brother is a full time student who works part time with no insurance. I don't believe he's attempted to log on to the exchange yet but I'll be interested to see his experience when he does.

I just wanted to add my friend's success story. As I said previously, she lives paycheck to paycheck and has to take boarders into her home to pay for her mortgage but what I didn't say is that in the 25 years I have known her she had health insurance for only 2-3 years and that was over 10 years ago. Her employers simply did not offer it. She currently works two jobs as a part-time office manager and a barista and neither one has health insurance. She is really looking forward to finally having a health safety net. FWIW, she has a BS in biology and an MBA but realized in Business School it really wasn't for her. Unfortunately, she got into the trap of being underemployed and was never find a career that spoke to her heart.

As against the program/legislation as I am,

my wife's sister is a cancer survivor, and she claims she gets coverage now.

I finally got an answer about how much extra our insurance will cost through my husband's employer.

We paid $450 a month for both of us. It will go up to $530 a month.

A success story would not be a rise of $80 a month, but it could have been much worse.

I feel your pain. :hug:
I grew up in a military family and my parents are still in the military system as retirees (age 76 and 73).
They still live in NoVa just to be close to military medical care.

I like to think as the military health care system as a microcosm of what socialized medical care will be like.
You get care, it takes a lot of time and it may not always be in a timely fashion- you will do a lot of waiting.

Case in point: in May 2000, the doctors knew my mother desperately needed a hip replacement- but the earliest they could get her scheduled was the the first Tuesday of September. (This was before the Iraq war so it was not a case of the system being flooded with wounded heroes needing attention.)

She was in alternately in agony and out of it from the pain meds all summer long and being on crutches for 3 months exacerbated her shoulder to the point of needing THAT replaced too once her hip healed.

And because they waited so long to replace it, the state of her joint was so deteriorated and damaged that there was very little bone to screw the prosthesis into, so she was in the hospital (Malcom Grow at Andrews) for 3 weeks, and was not allowed to put weight on the leg until after Christmas when x-rays showed that the bone growth could support her weight.

Dad was diagnosed with a "growth" on his kidney last May.
The doctor is now convinced it's malignant, and now that it's October they are finally going to do more tests and take action.
But that's only because he's been really sick and throwing up pretty much since August and bouncing in and out of the E.R. at DeWitt (I mean Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital) for weeks now.

My parents' neighbors called me two weeks ago to tell me what they see happening with my folks because...
They are concerned that my parents are receiving sub-par medical care. :rolleyes1

Calls that doctors are supposed to return within 3 days (Um, my doctor returns calls the same day) go un-responded to for 5 days or more, but everyone is doing their best. Bureaucracies are by nature inefficient and somewhat uncaring, even if they are made up of people who would characterize themselves as caring people. It's really easy for people to slip between the cracks when you're just a number in an electronic file.

I have to say that in the 25 years since I married I have not waited more than 5 minutes to see any non-military doctor for a scheduled appointment- something I would never have believed growing up in the military health care system.

But in my experience, that is the norm.

I like to think as the military health care system as a microcosm of what socialized medical care will be like.
You get care, it takes a lot of time and it may not always be in a timely fashion- you will do a lot of waiting.
My dad was in active service (Navy) when he died and my 74-year old mom is a dependent in Medicare with Tricare as her secondary. My experiences of the military health care system (both as a child and now through her) are VERY positive. My mom has been in and out of the hospital and in and out of a nursing home and she has paid a big fat $0 for it all. I am not exaggerating when I say that once I retire I hope that I am able to afford secondary medical coverage that is as good as Tricare :thumbsup2.

Maybe the issues that your parents are experiencing are from going to a Veteran's Hospital? My mom goes to her local hospital and sees a regular non-military doctor.

I finally got an answer about how much extra our insurance will cost through my husband's employer.

A success story would not be a rise of $80 a month, but it could have been much worse.

I am unemployed now, but previous to being unemployed we had coverage through the company I worked for. It was top notch, but every year the cost went up (long before Obamacare), and changes in coverage were made.

We have coverage through the company my husband works for, and the policies and coverage aren't nearly as good as what my job had. The cost went up last year, plus they change to a high deductible. I'm sure there will be changes and increases again.

I have always been thankful we had health insurance coverage, and really felt bad for those who didn't have it, or were denied it due to pre-existing conditions. I'm glad that Everyone will be able to get coverage now. Then again, I really think we as a country should have fully socialized medicine, one where everyone gets quality care. Not based upon the haves and have nots.

Now you have to prove that the increase is due to the ACA.

Considering that according to the kaiser foundation which tracks these things. Insurance premiums for American families have risen 131% over the last 10 years.

The last 5 years the average insurance premiums rise has been 9%. So lets see, 450 time 9%. It almost a guarantee that you would have seen an increase of at least 40 bucks.

So the assumption that this was caused by the ACA is false. If insurance premiums have been rising exponentially over the last 10 years, it's a pretty safe bet they would have gone up regardless.

Or is every one saying that their premiums have been the same for the last few years?

Here is some information from FACTCHECK. I like that website.

Health insurance premiums for employer-sponsored family plans jumped a startling 9 percent from 2010 to 2011, and some have blamed the federal health care law. But they exaggerate. The law — the bulk of which has yet to be implemented — has caused only about a 1 percent to 3 percent increase in premiums, according to several independent experts. The rest of the 9 percent rise is due to rising health care costs, as usual.

Furthermore, the increase caused by the law is a result of the increased benefits it requires, a factor Republicans generally ignore. So far, insurance companies have been required to do the following:

Now 1-3% is still an increase but the overall cost of health insurance is jumping substantially.

Its hard to say how much of that is the ACA though. Health insurance premiums have been rising for years at staggering rates. 131% from 1999 to 2009.

http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/27915/

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/health-insurance-premiums.aspx

Part of the idea here is that what we had wasn't sustainable. This might not be either (I think UK or Canada style UHC is the only sustainable solution), but we won't know for sure until we try.

Its hard to say how much of that is the ACA though. Health insurance premiums have been rising for years at staggering rates. 131% from 1999 to 2009.

http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/27915/

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/health-insurance-premiums.aspx

Part of the idea here is that what we had wasn't sustainable. This might not be either (I think UK or Canada style UHC is the only sustainable solution), but we won't know for sure until we try.

True, but there are lots of things that are required to be covered on ObamaCare that weren't before.

I tried to get an exact list earlier this AM but had trouble finding one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter