Obamacare success stories please

luvmy3 said:
You know what they can spend their entire EBT balance on junk just as long as they don't whine and complain that they aren't getting enough to feed their kids breakfast, lunch and dinner for the month ;)

That's part of the problem. In many areas of the country, their choice is high quality food for 2 or maybe 3 weeks & no money left for food the remaining 1-2 weeks OR cheaper, junkier food that will last the whole month. When you're a single mom working 2 part-time jobs, it's hard choices. She's going to choose buying foods that she can buy enough of to last until her next allotment.

I've been there. Both as a child & as a young adult. Growing up, we ate a lot of pasta, rice and beans. Peanut butter. Super cheap cereals. Oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat. We had corn bread or biscuits with dinner every night because, from scratch, they're cheap methods of adding calories to the meal.

As a young adult with my own children, we ate a lot of the same foods, but I did things to stretch even more. Adding beans to ground beef for tacos or sloppy joes. Things like that. Pasta or rice was always served on, under or beside everything. Beans, from dried, at least once a week. Spaghetti, no meat, at least once a week.

The foods listed are CALORIE dense, not NUTRIENT dense. Big difference.

But we're getting way off topic.

So I just saw this thread but it's 33 pages long. Since it seems the topic of discussion has changed from the original subject, I just want to ask:

Have there been any success stories mentioned in this thread?

I guess I just don't understand. Why is it that junk food is not good for us and should be taxed extra.
And then we take those tax dollars and allow junk food to be bought with it.

I'm talking pure junk food, candy, soda, chips.

I just don't understand the mentality.

But skatalite is right, we are way off topic. sorry.

How is everyone doing with the new healthcare law?
Our rate only went up 17% :banana:.

Has anyone seen their rates go down $2500 per family?

So I just saw this thread but it's 33 pages long. Since it seems the topic of discussion has changed from the original subject, I just want to ask:

Yes. People have said that they now have coverage for things well check up, birth control...their adult children can remain on their insurance, they have been able to obtain insurance when they previously could not, per existing conditions no longer disqualify them from obtaining coverage, lifetime maximums no longer exist...

Yes.

I don't think taxing junk food is the answer. Cutting out the farm subsidies for the raw materials that make junk food cheap to produce is one potential answer.

But since we're on this subject, how is it anyone can know when someone is using an EBT card? I have never noticed what type of card the person in front of me pays with. One would have to be purposely looking over someone's shoulder trying to see what type of card a person was swiping to know that, and that's rude IMO.

:thumbsup2

I was thinking the same thing

Yes. People have said that they now have coverage for things well check up, birth control...their adult children can remain on their insurance, they have been able to obtain insurance when they previously could not, per existing conditions no longer disqualify them from obtaining coverage, lifetime maximums no longer exist...

At what price and for how long. As the iron lady said

"Eventually the government will run out of our money".

I'm ok with them buying an occasional treat with MY tax money. Of course, the main reason I want them to eat healthy is because I want them to be healthy, not because of some self-righteous indignation that a person who can't afford to buy food should have every morsel they put in their mouths dictated by me,

But since we're on this subject, how is it anyone can know when someone is using an EBT card? I have never noticed what type of card the person in front of me pays with. One would have to be purposely looking over someone's shoulder trying to see what type of card a person was swiping to know that, and that's rude IMO.

I find it rude to take from my family in the form of taxes and not be grateful to the hand that feeds you..

EBT cards in ohio are white and blue that I have seen.

Although I would like to see everyone health and happy that is plain and simple not reality. :thumbsup2

I find it rude to take from my family in the form of taxes and not be grateful to the hand that feeds you..

EBT cards in ohio are white and blue that I have seen.

So, you look over people's shoulders to see what color their credit card is and then if its white and blue you look over their purchases?

I have no idea what they look like in Florida.

Yes, many. And many more not in this thread, which is becoming more about hyperbole than actually sharing success stories.

I'm ok with them buying an occasional treat with MY tax money. Of course, the main reason I want them to eat healthy is because I want them to be healthy, not because of some self-righteous indignation that a person who can't afford to buy food should have every morsel they put in their mouths dictated by me,

To be honest, I do not observe what people use to pay for their groceries.
But I know for a fact that food stamps may be used to purchase junk food. That is all I need to know.

Yes, many. And many more not in this thread, which is becoming more about hyperbole than actually sharing success stories.

How about starting a new thread for the success stories? Maybe a poll?
It would be interesting.

It would be interesting.

A Dis poll? It would have no basis in reality. Why don't we wait a year and see what happens in national polls and statistics?

At what price and for how long. As the iron lady said

"Eventually the government will run out of our money".

While that is a catchy statement that you are fond of posting, it is not economically accurate nor is it supported by empirical evidence. It is, however, highly politically slanted, which seems to go against the rules of the board.

It would be interesting.

There is no validity in a thread on this board and so I see no value in doing so. I will, instead, continue to point out economic and factual errors and misrepresentations when I see them, empathize with those who are struggling, celebrate with those who are benefiting, and continue to ignore what the rest think or post as I'm not so vain as to think I am going to change minds already set, nor do I endeavor to do so.

OK, then let's all assume that the new healthcare law is a complete thumbs up success!:thumbsup2

OK, then let's all assume that the new healthcare law is a complete thumbs up success!:thumbsup2

It's going to be great. :goodvibes

Why do you have to resort to sarcasm and thinly veiled innuendo to make your point? Do you think it is constructive to our national dialogue? Argue positions using facts and we can all emerge stronger. There is a massive delta between catastrophe and perfection, and if we work together, we can get better. If we all just snark from the hedges, nothing will get better and we all lose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter