Obama supporters! - A positive place to talk about his campaign - PART DEUX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Got Disney";25153481]Heads up Pr ...13 points in polling these days could mean nothing....and he will get the nom so all your hard work has paid off one way or another :thumbsup2[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Puerto Rico has no vote in the general election, though.

050408_bruce.jpg

Happy 84th birthday to the highly respected Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) !!!!

:bday:

Good luck on your re-election bid this year...here’s hoping you get elected to another 6 year term.

Age is NOT an issue…right DEM’s ? ;)

Wow Charlie, where'd you get the nice picture of Lautenberg with his father?

Hardball is on now..Chris Matthews is really furious about this incident..He had been a liitle wishy washy IMO

[QUOTE="Got Disney";25153481]Heads up Pr ...13 points in polling these days could mean nothing....and he will get the nom so all your hard work has paid off one way or another :thumbsup2[/QUOTE]
It already has paid off :)

I feel good about doing this, I feel like even though PR doesn't get to vote in the general, I'm still doing something to make the world better.

And it doesn't hurt that professionally, I've gotten unrelated paid work from people involved with the campaign... relocating for an election is an expensive ordeal and without this moonlighting, I doubt I would have been able to afford the relocation.

What went wrong with the Clinton Campaign.
I'm taking the quotes from an article in the new Republic from Michelle Cottle. I've presented things a bit out of order and decided to quote the tidbits that caught my eye.

An inside the echo chamber campaign
"Not learning from the mistakes of Kerry and Gore, the campaign was based in the D.C. area, rooting its perspective in the fishbowl and echo chamber nature of the capital. And [the campaign] was overstaffed with hired guns with no real allegiance to HRC; she was the safest and easiest bet, no sacrifice necessary."

When you fail to plan, you plan to fail
"There was not any plan in place from beginning to end on how to win the nomination. It was, 'Win Iowa.' There was not the experience level, and, frankly, the management ability, to create a whole plan to get to the magical delegate number. That to me is the number one thing.

Ignoring too many states
Most notably, we claimed the race would be over by February 5, but didn't devote any resources to the smaller states that day and in the weeks that followed, allowing Obama to easily run up margins and delegate counts on the cheap--the delegate margin he will win by."

Incompetent staff.
Hillary assembled a team thin on presidential campaign experience that confused discipline with insularity; they didn't know what they didn't know and were too arrogant to ask at a time early enough in the process when it could have made a difference,

"[Original campaign manager] Patti and [her deputy] Mike [Henry] sat up there in their offices and no one knew what they did all day.

"[Policy Director] Tanden and [Communications Director] Wolfson, the HQ's most senior department heads, had no real presidential campaign experience, and no primary experience whatsoever. Notoriously bad managers, they filled key posts with newcomers loyal to them but unknown to and unfamiliar with the candidate, her style, her history, her preferences."

Treat the press like Garbage.
We had bad relationships with reporters, and it probably bit us on the (bad word for behind)
Treat em like they're stupid.
"We ran a press operation that lost all credibility with the press through endless and pointless memos like, 'Where's the Bounce?' and polling memos that cherry-picked only positive polls when we were up and ignored polling when we were down."
and for good measure, curse em out.
"Even among Clinton spokespeople long known for their heavy-handed ways, Phil Singer stood out for his all-too-common and accepted profanity-laced tirades and abusive behavior--both at colleagues and the media,

Penn. Incompetent.
In Iowa, Penn consistently would show polls that were of the eight-way. That was basically meaningless because it wasn't going to be an eight-way race. The candidates that were the second-tier candidates were not going to reach the threshold [of 15%]. The real race was the three-way. But he always focused on the eight-way when we'd start going over the numbers in Iowa. It was frustrating to the state staff and other people as well. It just showed a lack of understanding and a disconnect."

"Probably our second biggest mistake was much more operational: Making our chief strategist our one and only pollster. It is impossible to disagree and have a counter view on message when the person creating the message is also the person testing the message."

"We would just cringe. Ugh. Such an out-of-touch corporate run kind of campaign--exactly what you'd expect from Mark Penn. He did fine during his time in the Clinton White House. But running a campaign to capture the nomination in a change environment is something he had never done. Just look at what he did for Joe Lieberman!"

Whoops.
"Mark Penn and Mandy Grunwald dismissed the possibility of youth turning out heavily in Iowa for Obama, saying on the record after the Jefferson-Jackson dinner, 'They don't look like caucus-goers.'"

An atrocious burn rate
"There were a number of people who advised the Clinton campaign back in the spring of '07 that this could easily become a longer battle--a war of attrition. She needed to build a broad base of supporters beyond the virtually limitless number of Clinton friends and supporters who they counted on to not only max out, but to use their not inconsiderable Rolodexes to help her. That would have been fine if this thing had ended Super Tuesday. It didn't, and she ran out of money."

"There was financial mismanagement bordering on fraud. A candidate who raised more than a quarter of a billion dollars over the years had to pump in millions more of her own money to stave off bankruptcy."

I still say that her campaign's failure was two-fold:

1 - No plan after Super Tuesday. They thought they'd have it wrapped up that day, and when that didn't happen, they floundered for the next month while Barack reeled off 14 wins in a row. From the moment the polls closed in the Potomac Primaries, this race has been over. She was just too far behind to make up the difference without having it seem as if she was stealing the nomination.

2 - Negative tactics in a general election usually work, which is why it's so rare for a candidate to run without utilizing them. In a primary campaign, however, you run the risk of alienating people that you're going to need in order to win the nomination. Hillary, at different points during this campaign, has directly insulted MoveOn.org, marginalized any state that didn't vote for her, discounted the states that have a tradition of holding caucuses instead of primaries, and offended the black vote in this country to the point that she would never be able to win a general election, simply because no Democrat gets elected without the black vote. PERIOD.

Those two factors are really all it took to derail what looked to be a sure nominee. Yeah, it hurt to lose Iowa, but the win in New Hampshire was enough of a bounce back that she could have recovered. South Carolina started the slide, and it ended in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. It's been over since that night. The rest of this has just been playing out the string.

I still say that her campaign's failure was two-fold:

1 - No plan after Super Tuesday. They thought they'd have it wrapped up that day, and when that didn't happen, they floundered for the next month while Barack reeled off 14 wins in a row. From the moment the polls closed in the Potomac Primaries, this race has been over. She was just too far behind to make up the difference without having it seem as if she was stealing the nomination.

2 - Negative tactics in a general election usually work, which is why it's so rare for a candidate to run without utilizing them. In a primary campaign, however, you run the risk of alienating people that you're going to need in order to win the nomination. Hillary, at different points during this campaign, has directly insulted MoveOn.org, marginalized any state that didn't vote for her, discounted the states that have a tradition of holding caucuses instead of primaries, and offended the black vote in this country to the point that she would never be able to win a general election, simply because no Democrat gets elected without the black vote. PERIOD.

Those two factors are really all it took to derail what looked to be a sure nominee. Yeah, it hurt to lose Iowa, but the win in New Hampshire was enough of a bounce back that she could have recovered. South Carolina started the slide, and it ended in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. It's been over since that night. The rest of this has just been playing out the string.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

Another Senate Poll. Maine We're closing on Collins.

Collins 52
Allen 42

I must confess as to never being nearly as confident on this one as some in the bloggosphere. Allen has chipped 6 points off her lead. It was 54-38 last month. The Repug party is in the toilet. Move it from Solid Republican Hold to Likely Republican hold. Incumbents below 50 are seen as vulnerable.

Kansas
Roberts (Rep Inc) 52
Slattery 40
I'd still consider this one a solid Republican hold at this point. Because it's Kansas. But that it is even in play and on the board at this point is remarkable. The Democrats in Kansas have done a stellar job rebuilding in this state. Of course the Republicans going even more bat poop crazy here than even the national party doesn't hurt either.

And some Excellent news for you Washington State Democrats.
Governor

This was a one point race just a bit ago.
Rasmussen
Gregoire 52
Rossi 41
Goes from Toss up, to leans, to likely Democratic hold. You don't think that appearance with Obama had anything to do with it do you? Coattails.

North Carolina
Hagan 48
Dole 47.
This was 13 points the other way before Obama visited the state. Coattails.

McCain called Obama reckless on foreign policy. And then they got Pwned!!!

"What's reckless is continuing the Bush-McCain foreign policy that has cost us thousands of lives and a trillion dollars in Iraq, strengthened Iran, enabled Hamas to take Gaza, took our eye off al Qaeda, failed to capture Osama bin Laden, failed to finish the job in Afghanistan, and left us less safe and less respected in the world. No amount of utterly predictable fear-mongering and tough talk can change the fact that John McCain is running to continue the most disastrous foreign policy in recent American history," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Yeah, it hurt to lose Iowa, but the win in New Hampshire was enough of a bounce back that she could have recovered.

I don't think the article, and certainly not me, blamed the loss on Iowa. I think that bit was was included to illustrate the incompetence and disconnect of Penn, and illustrate the lack of planning. The lack of planning became obvious after Super Tuesday But according to the article, they never had a plan at all that involved how to actually win delegates before, on, or after Super Tuesday. And that lack of plan not only did her in after Super Tuesday, it is what allowed Obama to fight her to a draw on super Tuesday.

Not saying I completely agree with everything she wrote, But the author obviously has more access to inside sources than I do.

I don't think the article, and certainly not me, blamed the loss on Iowa. I think that bit was was included to illustrate the incompetence and disconnect of Penn, and illustrate the lack of planning. The lack of planning became obvious after Super Tuesday But according to the article, they never had a plan at all that involved how to actually win delegates before, on, or after Super Tuesday. And that lack of plan not only did her in after Super Tuesday, it is what allowed Obama to fight her to a draw on super Tuesday.

Not saying I completely agree with everything she wrote, But the author obviously has more access to inside sources than I do.

It is not only the lack of planning but the hubris or arrogance that the nomination was in the bag and not much effort would need to be expended to win it. Smart people, dumb choices, eh?

Hey LoG -

Any of these Obama rallies close to you?

Hillsborough County

Hillsborough County Democratic Executive Office
4221 N Himes
Suite 100
Tampa, FL 33607
Saturday 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Looking Good
7831 Palm River Road
Tampa, FL 33619
Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Monday 4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.

King Corona Café
1523 E 7th Ave.
Tampa, FL 33605
Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Pinellas County

Atwater's Cafeteria
895 22nd Ave. S
St. Petersburg, FL 33705

Pinellas Democratic County Headquarters
2250 1st Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33713
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Pasco County

Rapscallions Restaurant
4422 Land O' Lakes Blvd.
Land O' Lakes, FL 32639
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Sarasota/Manatee County

Manatee County Democratic Headquarters
5910 Cortez Road, Suite 140
Brandenton, FL 34231
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Sarasota News and Books
1341 Main Street
Sarasota, FL
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.

Hey LoG -

Any of these Obama rallies close to you?

Hillsborough County

Hillsborough County Democratic Executive Office
4221 N Himes
Suite 100
Tampa, FL 33607
Saturday 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Looking Good
7831 Palm River Road
Tampa, FL 33619
Monday 4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.

King Corona Café
1523 E 7th Ave.
Tampa, FL 33605
Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Pinellas County

Atwater's Cafeteria
895 22nd Ave. S
St. Petersburg, FL 33705

Pinellas Democratic County Headquarters
2250 1st Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33713
Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Pasco County

Rapscallions Restaurant
4422 Land O' Lakes Blvd.
Land O' Lakes, FL 32639
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Sarasota/Manatee County

Manatee County Democratic Headquarters
5910 Cortez Road, Suite 140
Brandenton, FL 34231
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Sarasota News and Books
1341 Main Street
Sarasota, FL
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.

No, damn it, but if they're all were getting, I'll make the 3-4 hour trip west, maybe even throw in a stop at WDW on the way. Where did you find the dates? I heard he was coming down to Palm Beach County as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter