• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Obama supporters! - A positive place to talk about his campaign - PART DEUX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's somewhere polishing his Nobel Peace Prize. Let me know when they lower the standards enough for a Republican to win one, m'kay?

:thumbsup2

Speaking of awards I would like to nominate (please excuse the word I know it is a sore point with DEMS) Pelosi, Obama, and Clinton for an Academy Award for best actor. The show they put on yesterday after President Bush’s speech was fantastic to say the least!!!

Pelosi goes to Syria against the State Departments advice to talk Peace. Obama says he will meet with Iran, North Korea and Syria in the NY Times interview (below). The interview also mentions that Hillary thinks that would be a bad idea. Funny didn’t she defend Obama yesterday against President Bush’s comments?

Talk about DEM BS !!!!

PS – I love the White House response to Obama…

“I understand when you're running for office you sometimes think the world revolves around you -- that is not always true and it is not true in this case.”

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

November 2, 2007

If Elected ...
Obama Envisions New Iran Approach

By MICHAEL R. GORDON and JEFF ZELENY

CHICAGO, Oct. 31 — Senator Barack Obama says he would “engage in aggressive personal diplomacy” with Iran if elected president and would offer economic inducements and a possible promise not to seek “regime change” if Iran stopped meddling in Iraq and cooperated on terrorism and nuclear issues.

In an hourlong interview on Wednesday, Mr. Obama made clear that forging a new relationship with Iran would be a major element of a broad effort to stabilize Iraq as he executed a speedy timetable for the withdrawal of American combat troops.

Mr. Obama said that Iran had been “acting irresponsibly” by supporting Shiite militant groups in Iraq. He also emphasized that Iran’s suspected nuclear weapons program and its support for “terrorist activities” were serious concerns.

But he asserted that Iran’s support for militant groups in Iraq reflected its anxiety over the Bush administration’s policies in the region, including talk of a possible American military strike on Iranian nuclear installations.

Making clear that he planned to talk to Iran without preconditions, Mr. Obama emphasized further that “changes in behavior” by Iran could possibly be rewarded with membership in the World Trade Organization, other economic benefits and security guarantees.

“We are willing to talk about certain assurances in the context of them showing some good faith,” he said in the interview at his campaign headquarters here. “I think it is important for us to send a signal that we are not hellbent on regime change, just for the sake of regime change, but expect changes in behavior. And there are both carrots and there are sticks available to them for those changes in behavior.”

In his Democratic presidential bid, Mr. Obama has vigorously sought to distinguish himself on foreign policy from his rivals, particularly Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, by asserting that he would sit down for diplomatic meetings with countries like Iran, North Korea and Syria with no preconditions.

The suggestion, which emerged as a flash point in the campaign, has prompted Mrs. Clinton to question whether such an approach would amount to little more than a propaganda victory for the United States’ adversaries and to question the experience of Mr. Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois. Other Democrats, in turn, have criticized Mrs. Clinton for an approach to Iran they call too hawkish, including a vote for a nonbinding resolution describing the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in Iran as a terrorist organization.

Mr. Obama’s willingness to conduct talks at the highest level with Iran also differs significantly from the Bush administration’s approach.

The administration has authorized Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker to discuss Iraq with Iranian officials. But the White House has also said it will not engage in high-level talks on other issues unless Iran first suspends its program to enrich uranium. Nor has the Bush administration advertised in detail the possible rewards for a change of Iranian behavior.

Through most of the interview, Mr. Obama spoke without referring to notes. At one point near the end of the session, he leaned forward in his chair and looked at a yellow legal pad on the table in front of him, which listed points where he believed he and Mrs. Clinton differ on how to go forward in Iraq.

“You don’t want to look backwards, but obviously our general view about this mission as a whole has been very different,” Mr. Obama said. “She missed the strategic interests that should have dictated whether we went to Iraq in the first place or not.”

Mrs. Clinton has said that after carrying out major troop withdrawals she would leave a residual force in Iraq to fight Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, battle other terrorist groups, train the Iraqi Army and deter Iranian intervention.

Mr. Obama has also talked about keeping a limited force in Iraq after withdrawing American combat units at the rate of one or two per month. But he insisted in the interview that the mission of his residual force would be more limited than that posited by Mrs. Clinton.

Mr. Obama said, for example, that the part of the residual force assigned to counterterrorism might be based outside Iraq. He also emphasized that the residual force would not have the mission of deterring Iranian involvement in Iraq.

He said he would commit to training Iraqi security forces only if the Iraqi government engaged in political reconciliation and did not employ the Iraqi Army and the police for sectarian purposes. In any event, he said, American trainers would not be attached with Iraqi units that go in harm’s way.

“The trainers are going to have to be provided with missions that don’t put them in vulnerable situations,” he said. “Part of what my goal is is that the trainers are not constantly embedded in combat operations.”

Whether such a limited force could effectively influence events in Iraq is an important question. Keeping the part of the force assigned to counterterrorism outside the country raises the issue of whether it could respond in a timely way and without the benefit of the sort of intelligence that is gathered by forces that regularly interact with Iraqi civilians. Nor is it clear how, without keeping some combat forces in the country, the American military might rush to the aid of any trainers if they came under attack.

Mr. Obama acknowledged in the interview that there were “legitimate questions” as to how his concept of a residual force might work, and said he would adjust it if necessary after discussions with senior military leaders.

“As commander in chief, I’m not going to leave trainers unprotected,” he said. “In our counterterrorism efforts, I’m not going to have a situation where our efforts can’t be successful. If the commanders tell me that they need X, Y and Z, in order to accomplish the very narrow mission that I’ve laid out, then I will take that into consideration.”

For all Mr. Obama’s efforts to emphasize an approach that calls for minimal military involvement in Iraq, his plan is in one respect more ambitious than Mrs. Clinton’s. While Mr. Obama said he hoped to withdraw all American combat forces within 16 months of taking office, his plan states that American and allied troops should be prepared to return to Iraq and protect civilians if there were genocidal attacks.

“I do not anticipate that happening, because I think we can execute our withdrawal in an effective way,” he said. “What I am saying is that I as president am obviously going to be mindful of the possibility of humanitarian disaster, and if that were to occur, I am not ruling out that we wouldn’t take steps in concert with other nations — even if it was short term — to ensure that a wholesale disaster did not take place.”

Mr. Obama argued that it was “too speculative” to say if the United States would undertake such action unilaterally or only if allied nations chose to participate.

Other aspects of his policy for the Middle East also remain unclear. Mr. Obama declined to say if he would take military action if Iran did not abandon its presumed nuclear weapons program or if he would settle for a strategy of deterring and containing a nuclear-armed Iran.

“My decision making, with respect to military options versus diplomatic options, a containment strategy versus a strike strategy, is going to be informed by how is that going to impact not just Iran,” he said, “but how is that going to impact the stability of the region and how’s that going to impact our long-term security interests.”

Mr. Obama, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, visited Iraq in January 2006. Asked if that was his last visit, given how much events on the ground have changed since then, he jumped in before the question was finished, saying, “Given how important this is, why haven’t I gone back?”

“I’ll be honest with you,” he said. “Part of it is that my schedule is such that the trips would be one or two days and would be centered around the Green Zone.”

He added: “I suspect we will be going back. It probably won’t be before Iowa, realistically speaking.” The Iowa caucuses are scheduled for Jan. 3.

(Mrs. Clinton has been to Iraq three times, her aides said.)

Mr. Obama has implored voters to consider his judgment in foreign policy, reminding audiences at political rallies and in television commercials that he spoke out against the Iraq war from the beginning, two years before he was elected to the Senate. That judgment, he said, would be carried over to selecting people to fill his administration.

He said his views were shaped by his foreign policy advisers, including Richard Danzig, who was Navy secretary under President Bill Clinton; Anthony Lake, a national security adviser in the Clinton administration; Susan E. Rice, an assistant secretary of state for African affairs under Mr. Clinton; Scott Gration, a retired Air Force major general; and Gen. Merrill A. McPeak, now retired, a former chief of staff of the Air Force.

Asked whom he would appoint as defense secretary or to important national security positions, Mr. Obama said he would consider “the best person, regardless of party.”

AND THE WINNER IS ??????????

I saw John Edwards this morning!!!

I was going into the VIP sign in for the Today Show and he was standing there. I looked at him and was like, "hey that guy looks just like John Edwards". But there didn't seem to be people around him, so I thought it was just a business guy in the building. But , nope, it was him! LOL! if I had known he was going to be on the show and realized it was him I would have thanked him for his support for Obama.

I was going into the VIP sign in for the Today Show and he was standing there. I looked at him and was like, "hey that guy looks just like John Edwards". But there didn't seem to be people around him, so I thought it was just a business guy in the building. But , nope, it was him! LOL! if I had known he was going to be on the show and realized it was him I would have thanked him for his support for Obama.

That is so awesome!!!! :thumbsup2

With Pete Stark's endorsement this morning, Obama's delegate count is 1901!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

:banana: :banana: Getting so close to the magic number. :banana: :banana:

HAH! OMG, that is funny... I once saw Jay Leno on my flight for 5.5 hours, I was like "I know that guy" ROFL... I didn't say anything.... I once spent 14 hours on a plane with Kimberly Locke (singer) I did say something to her, we were sitting near her :) When you see them on TV & then see them in person, you're like "is that who I think it is?"

By the way Honu, love that number 1901

Everyone listen to the foreign policy smack down? It was very good while being civil...

Wilderness, I watched that live last night, I have to say I was ROFLMBO during the entire thing, the guy is a nutjob.... scary enough he's a lawyer! A lawyer that doesn't know American and European history... that's pretty scary!

Everyone listen to the foreign policy smack down? It was very good while being civil...

Wilderness, I watched that live last night, I have to say I was ROFLMBO during the entire thing, the guy is a nutjob.... scary enough he's a lawyer! A lawyer that doesn't know American and European history... that's pretty scary!

Chris...I was so mad this morning when I saw it, because I couldn't believe I missed it!!! That guy is a lawyer??? :eek: How did he make it out of history class??? That is frightening!!! :scared1: I loved the looks on Chris Matthews face during the whole thing!!! And when Matthews said "1938, or 1939" and that nut job comes back with "Yeah you choose ,1938 or 1939" or something along those lines,acting as if he "got" Chris Matthews!!! When I see stuff like this I do not know whether to laugh or cry!!!!

Chris...I was so mad this morning when I saw it, because I couldn't believe I missed it!!! That guy is a lawyer??? :eek: How did he make it out of history class??? That is frightening!!! :scared1: I loved the looks on Chris Matthews face during the whole thing!!! And when Matthews said "1938, or 1939" and that nut job comes back with "Yeah you choose ,1938 or 1939" or something along those lines,acting as if he "got" Chris Matthews!!! When I see stuff like this I do not know whether to laugh or cry!!!!

Yup, he's a lawyer and he was even a prosecutor for a short time before he went on to be an entertainment lawyer for a short time & then he got a radio job! I wonder why :scared: Right wing radio nutjob with no clue on American or European history... for the love of God if he is not an authority on such a thing, then what the heck is he doing out there trying to defend a policy or action he knows absolutely NOTHING about?? :scared1:

Mathew's expressions were PRICELESS.....

Yup, he's a lawyer and he was even a prosecutor for a short time before he went on to be an entertainment lawyer for a short time & then he got a radio job! I wonder why :scared: Right wing radio nutjob with no clue on American or European history... for the love of God if he is not an authority on such a thing, then what the heck is he doing out there trying to defend a policy or action he knows absolutely NOTHING about?? :scared1:

Chris Matthews cracks me up sometimes as it is, but that clip is the best!!! I just can't imagine how he will spin this on his radio show today...how does one recover from such a mess!!!???:happytv:

Kind of off topic, but did Chris Matthews color his hair this week?? It looked a little oragney to me...:rotfl:

And how exactly does this ignorance differ from the rest of Planet Bush or, for that matter, Bush himself? ;)

I know Lake Ariel posted this on the KEith Olbermann thread, but have you guys seen this clip of Kevin James (right wing radio nut, not the guy from King of Queens!) on Hardball yesterday....if you haven't it is a must see!!!! This guy looks like a complete dufus...wonder if he's got a job today???

http://www.chron.com/commons/person...ebobPost:2aa2774c-9ad8-4999-8965-cace85b93b81

HEHE. He's got a job. He's a useful idiot for his bosses. He'll just regurgitate his talking points and claim he won. He's so arrogant, he probably doesn't even know what an ignorant moron he looked like.

And how exactly does this ignorance differ from the rest of Planet Bush or, for that matter, Bush himself? ;)

Actually it doesn't differ much at all. The Bush crew believe if you say something over and over and over again, it doesn't matter if it is really true, it eventually becomes true in the ear of the listener. Throw out a few words or phrases (appeaser, appeaser, appeaser........WMD, WMD, WMD) and nothing else can get in.

Polls Polls Polls.

Just one for you right now.

Oregon Davis, Hibbits, and Midgall for Portland Tribune/Faux.
Obama 55
Clinton 35

The MOE is quite big for this poll and calculating that out, the poll is predicting anything from 50-40 to 60-30, with 55-35 being the most likely result. That's assuming nothing other than random sampling error.

I've read that Hillary is canceling her appearance for Saturday in Oregon. If that is true, and I don't know if it is or isn't, that's a sign her internals are either showing her behind or perhaps data is showing the majority of the ballots already in. Dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter