O/T - Where do you find wide width shoes for your kids?

katiesmom2

DIS Veteran
Hi There,

Both of my kids have wide feet. My daugher is 5 and wears an 11 wide. My son is 3 and wears an 8 extra-wide.

Has anyone found a great place to find wide shoes? I usually head to Payless and find one or 2 options. I've been buying from Stride Rite, but they are so expensive.

Am I missing a great resource? Thanks!

Hi, Shoebuy on the internet will let you search all brands by width (also by color, brand size, type, etc.) There are free shipping and returns. When you sign up they'll send you 20 % off coupons from time to time. Great place to get those Stride Rite and other wide brands at a discount! Hope this helps!

Patty

I see you live in Canada so maybe you have a Shoe Company store near where you live.
All the kids shoes they sell only come in wide widths (well at least every time I go and look there). They are name brand shoes at a good price. Just in wide widths.

Zappos.com or Payless.com
Usually Payless has more varity online than in the stores and it is free to ship to your local store.

New Balance does wide shoes also - you might call around and see if anyone local has them to at least try on then look on the internet for better pricing. This is a brand that does go on sale periodically....

Good luck!

Payless is okay, but not much of a selection. I prefer Zappos.com for my DD's wide feet (and mine too!).

Ugh. My mom used to get soooo annoyed because my kids only owned one pair of shoes at a time because their feet were so wide and Stride Rite was the only place I could find shoes. (SHE didn't offer to buy them any other pairs though, lol.)

I've found that WalMart usually has something my kids (now 7 & 5) can fit into. They carry several styles in wide. I even found some <gasp> Thomas the Tank Engine shoes in WIDE for my son when he was 3 or 4. My kids also pretty much live in Crocs three seasons of the year.

I finally broke down and went to a specialty running store for my double-wide running shoes. Cha-ching$$$$ Wide feet are such a pain :)

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I should have mentioned that I am in Canada, so I pay a lot more when I order from Shoebuy for taxes, duty and shipping. I discovered the Zappos has a Canadian store now, so I looked there, but the shoes are still in the $30 range. I'm going to have to watch for sales.

I forgot about Shoe Company. I'll have to make a trip out there (the nearest one is 45 minutes away).

I'm not sure I trust ordering my kids shoes online. It's such a pain if they don't fit just right.

I wouldn't mind paying $30 for a pair of shoes if I wasn't buying multiple pairs. I like my kids to have a running shoe, a dressier sandal and a few pair of flip flops for the summer. Add all that up x2 kids and it's usually around $200 just for shoes!!

Oh, the joys of wide feet (which DH and I ALSO have) :mad:

If you ever come across the border you might try finding a Tanger Outlet. They have a Stride Rite Outlet Store and the prices are so much cheaper than the regular stores. You may find one in other outlet malls as well. There are a lot of outlets all along I-95(on your way to Florida!;) ) I don't know how often you come down, but it would be worth your while to check them out! Hope this helps! Both of my children wear wide width shoes as well so I have to use Stride Rite and Payless as well. I hate to order their shoes on-line! Even with free shipping/returns I hate the hassel! Keds also come in wides, but my daughter has never been able to wear them!!!! She has a wide foot, but a narrow heel-like me!!!!! Shoes are so hard to find!!!!

Yes, Stride Rite is expensive, but that is what I got my kids. I was able to go to the outlet after it opened.

I have no idea if Lands End ships to Canada or not but many of their children's shoes can be ordered wide for no extra cost. Nealry all of DDs shoes have come from them (and they hold up realy well also).
ITA I just checked and they do sip to Canada and the rates are quite decent (add in our ver yweak dollar and you may get wuite a bargain).

my dd also has the wide feet problem. she is 3yo. we love crocs:thumbsup2 we can never find her any of the cute little girly sandals that strap across!! i seem to buy only crocs, wide new balance they have them at academy. and also the skatebord shoes:thumbsup2 like dc, etenies, and other brands of skateboard shoes.

My son has worn a wide shoe since he has been in shoes. We have purchased them at Kohls and Shoe Sensation. He pretty much only wears New Balance now as both stores carry them regularly now. Not sure if these stores are in Canada. Good luck.

Thanks! I am off to check out Land's End. I LOVE Kohl's....there is one about 90 minutes from here over in NY. I might just have to make the trip out there (good excuse to do some shopping!).

Unfortunately, my DH HATES crocs. He thinks they are ugly (sorry if I am offending anyone) so no crocs for my kids. I think I might get them some faux crocs to wear to swimming class. Maybe he'll learn to like the look and we'll get some real ones!

I have to second the crocs - my LO wears an x-wide and crocs fit him perfect! We have to order from stride rite too. They have lots of styles, so maybe if your DH doesn't like the original style he might say ok to something that looks a little different.

My son is an 8.5 XW and I have to order most of his shoes from Shoebuy.com- they have a great selection- cheaper than Stride Rite (and sell Stride Rites) and have FREE SHIPPING and are always running 20% off sales. I found DS's selection is pretty much limited to Stride Rite and New Balance and Crocs- all sold at Shoebuy for cheaper than the stores. HTH

I have the same problem with my LO. I don't trust buying shoes on line so I head to the stores. Payless and Crocs have worked for wide sizes. Also, if you have AAA, you can get discounts for Payless shoes. I also have found wide sandals in Kmart.

:grouphug:

My DS2 has very wide feet and we LOVE the Tsukihoshi brand shoes. They are really light and flexible and hold up great. They are a little expensive but on line with other sneakers like Nike and Reebok. We buy his shoes at a local children's shoe store because with his wide feet it is important to be fitted correctly. I know they are now carrying them at some department stores as well.

The website is www.tsukihoshi.com if you want to check it out.

New Balance or any skater shoes like Vans. I hate shoe shopping for my son because of the wide foot thing!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter