O.A.-Over packers anonymous

I just remind myself that whatever I pack has to be unpacked and washed/cleaned. That helps me keep my packing reasonable lol.

Coming home from vacation is already a bummer. Coming home from vacation with 3 suitcases of clothes to wash is a slap in the face.

It's so hard to get it right, isn't it?!

We went in July. It was HOT, so I packed two outfits per day per person. I used everything I brought. My teen sons however, opted to sleep in until after noon each day, and only needed one outfit per day. Go figure.

I try to bring exactly what we need, nothing extra, as I am bed-bug paranoid as well.

From now on, I will do laundry mid trip, as I did during our latest trip. We're going to want a downtime day anyway, and it makes packing easy.

Plus laundry gets yucky if you leave it for a week.

I wouldn't wash it all before we travel home though. Who knows what gets in your clothes when you check your bag...I have visions of TSA opening and going through other people's dirty laundry, then my clean stuff. Ewwwwwww. An imagination can be a terrible thing. Not to mention what crawls out of the bag-next-door.

Everything gets washed when we get home. Sometimes even the bags, too.
:rotfl:

I am nervous about the weather being so finicky this time of year. It will be my luck to check the weather and pack accordingly and then an unexpected cold front comes through. My girls are going to wear tunics/dresses and leggings on most days and t-shirts and thin pants and I will bring one light jacket and one thicker one. I am such an over packer. I had a close call on our last trip with my bag weighing 49 pounds with a 50 pound limit. It is too much stress when packing to come home and having to put souvenirs in everyone else's bags.

I'm normally an overpacker too. I'm driving but I want to pack less on my upcoming long weekend trip.

I haven't packed a thing yet so we'll see how it goes. My issue right now is I took a peek at the weather and it's warm during the day but cold enough at night that I'm going to need some warmer clothes too.

I'm thinking the little carryon bag I pulled out of the attic won't work for me. Maybe if I use one of the regular suitcases instead - that will give me room for a couple of pair of extra shoes too in case I need them.........

Dec 2, 2014 Update

I had to come back today and say - I did it! I packed everything into one regular suitcase and one backpack for me. I was able to put in only one extra pair of shoes for a total of 3 pair of shoes but I have a feeling I may need them since it looks like it may rain on Friday.

My husband is going to be impressed when he gets home and sees only the one suitcase. LOL

I have streamlined my travel items and I still seem to overpack. And yes SW is half my problem.

I figure why cram everything in when

1. Two free bags plus free carryon

2. Souvenirs are heavier and bigger than I plan on EVERY STINKIN TIME! and I don't even buy that much.

3. No matter how many times I think well I won't need that, as soon as I don't bring it, I need it.

:rotfl:

Frankly I'm a big girl and my clothes are bigger and if I have to bring cold weather gear well that's bulkier as well. So Yes I will plan for one bag plus my carryon backpack for my Jan solo trip, but dollars to donuts I'll end up bringing two bags.

What's really weird is compared to others I'm actually usually NOT the one with the most luggage. So if you don't want to be an overpacker find friends and family who are worse than you. :rotfl2:

I'm not sure that I'm an over packer but I am an obsessed packer. I do test packs of my suitcase. I've learned that rolling is a great space saver.

Does bringing a full sized Kuerig and 2 packs of k-cups count? :)

Lol. That's awesome!

I was just thinking about the bedbug thing...totally freaks me out too. So I am trying something new thus next trip. Those things you can hang up in your closet, like for sweaters and what not, might be perfect for hotels. Just pack your things in each shelf, take it out of the suitcase and gang the whole thing up in the closet at the resort. Keep all clothes far away from bed/carpet.

Who also watches "packing" videos on YouTube? Talk about packing obsessed! *guilty*

I haven't really packed for a trip like this one (8 days) so I'm not sure I'm an over packer. I will say I have OCD about the gathering and pre-packing list. I have a rather large crate in the corner of my room for my stuff to pack for Disney... our trip is not until October/November 2015. I have 6 shirts 6 pairs of shorts socks under clothes deodorant etc. Everytime I "need" something, like deodorant this week. I buy extra and put it in the crate. I hate being last minute. My fiance will pack the night before and forget something... drives me insane :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter