• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYTimes: Animatronic Obama Going to Disney World With High-Tech Style

dpic

DIS Veteran
22obamatron_450.jpg
In that Hollywood building here, the life-size, three-dimensional figure was being put through its final tune-up, its chin rising and hands gesturing in response to technicians, in preparation for shipment to the Hall of Presidents exhibit at Disney World in Orlando, Fla....“Young children watch this, and you want them to feel a sense of identification with the president,” said Doris Kearns Goodwin, a presidential historian, who was recruited by Disney two years ago to write a Hollywood-style treatment about the presidents, which became the basis for a 20-minute documentary made for the exhibit. “This makes the president someone not so far removed from them.”...The exhibit will open with the new film, narrated by the actor Morgan Freeman. At a certain point, the Abraham Lincoln figure will rise and speak to the audience, as it always has, but now it will deliver the Gettysburg Address in its entirety.
“And this is the first time George Washington will have a speaking role,” said Kathy Rogers, a senior show producer for Walt Disney Imagineering, the unit that oversees the creative side of the theme parks.
But the emotional high point is intended to be the introduction of the Obama figure, who will yet again be heard taking the oath.
Mr. Obama recorded this version on March 4 in the White House Map Room — the same room where he retook the oath after a minor flub on Inauguration Day — to accommodate the Disney World theater’s new sound system. At that time, Mr. Obama also read aloud a short speech to be delivered by the figure, one that ultimately passed through the computer of Jon Favreau, a presidential speechwriter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/22/us/politics/22obamatron.html?_r=1&hp

Full article at New York Times, free registration required.

..................I'm so thrilled I could spit.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the Obama animatronic. I saw him live during one of his campaign stops. This will be the next best thing. Also happy about Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address. I just visited Gettysburg with my son last summer and really enjoyed touring that area. It will be great hearing Lincoln speak the words himself. I enjoy the "boring" attractions. (according to my son , boring attractions are Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, American Adventure) These are some of my favorites.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the Obama animatronic. I saw him live during one of his campaign stops. This will be the next best thing. Also happy about Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address. I just visited Gettysburg with my son last summer and really enjoyed touring that area. It will be great hearing Lincoln speak the words himself. I enjoy the "boring" attractions. (according to my son , boring attractions are Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, American Adventure) These are some of my favorites.

I do agree:thumbsup2

:goodvibes

Thanks so much for posting that article along with that photograph!!!! That was a fantastic first gleams of the Barack Obama audio animatronic. :cloud9:

I am so excited about this! I'd heard (pre-election) that they were considering cutting out the speech by the sitting President from the new version. This seemed a pity since our President is a skilled speaker. And I, an admitted history nerd, LIKE the speech (no matter who delivers it). Can't wait to see it next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter