NY'er needs some Canadian help with Toronto trip

DISNEYLOVER70

<font color=blue>Speaks softly but carries a big s
Hello fellow Dis'ers. I am in upstate New York and I just purchased tickets to take my 10 yr old son to see his Yankees play the Toronto Blue Jays in August. I have never been to Toronto and I need to find a hotel to stay one night in. I have heard parking is expensive in Toronto so I would like to find a hotel within walking distance of the Rogers Centre (if that is even possible). We are also taking my son's friend with us as well. If I have a copy of all of our birth certificates, will that be sufficient for the border? Any other advice you all may have I would greatly appreciate!

TIA !

Renee

BOOOO YANKEES...LOL, just kidding...Actually More Boo A-Rod...whats up with that man.

What are you looking to spend for a hotel....most of the hotels downtown are fairly expensive.....give me a price range and I will likely be able to come up with a couple of suggestions.

The price doesn't really matter as long as the location makes it worth it. I did see one, I think it was on First Street West (?) that looked like it would be close and possibly walking distance to the stadium and I think it was like 190.00 Canadian. I am pretty open to any suggestions. We are only staying one night so I would like it to be a nice hotel.

Thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!!:goodvibes

P.S. Not sure what is up with A-Rod. He sure is getting a lot of bad press though lately, especially this whole cheating on his wife thing :confused3
Stinks because he has been having a good year too ( or at least so my son tells me :lmao: )

Well there is a hotel right in rogers centre...it is connected to the stadium....I looked up the price and it stated $195 CDN....plus taxes.

It is a Marriot.....I haven't stayed there but it is really nice according to other people who I know who have.

Some of the rooms look out onto the field, but I think they are really expensive.

Can't get much closer.

There are a couple of really nice hotels within walking distance to the Rogers Centre:

1. The Intercontinental Hotel
225 Front Street West (right next door to the Rogers Centre)
Rates start at $189/night

2. The Fairmont Royal York
100 Front Street West (about a 5 minute walk to the Rogers Centre)
Rates start at $209/night

3. Renaissance Toronto Hotel Downtown
One Blue Jays Way (right inside the Rogers Centre)
Rates start at $289/night (ouch!!! - might get it for cheaper than that)

4. Novotel Hotel
45 The Esplanade (about a 10 minute walk to Rogers Centre)
Rates start at $159/night

Hope this helps!!!

There is also the Holiday Inn on King Street which is in walking distance too. It is a very nice hotel with a pool and is in the heart of the entertainment district of toronto.

194.00 per night....two double beds.

Wow, you guys are awesome with the information!

While I was waiting to hear from you, I did some checking too. The Toronto Centre wants 599 for a suite. If I want a regular room it is like $200.00 but the max capacity is 3 persons so that won't work.

I am going to check into the other ones you guys mentioned.

Yosh12~ what website did you get the $194.00 for two double beds?

Thank you so very much guys for taking the time out to help me. Wow, such nice people :angel:

I have stayed at the HI on King and it is a great hotel ~ rooftop pool is fun!
When you walk to the Rogers Centre (I still call it SkyDome) you go right past Gretzky's Restaurant if your DS is a hockey fan as well. I would recommend the HI. Across the street is a great little restaurant called the Red Tomato.

Have a great day in Toronto ~ I live an hour west of it but love to visit!

Teresa :goodvibes

We have crossed the border into the states going to Florida with my daughter's friend several times. Some of the border guards can be quite sticky about bringing other peoples kids across. We always have a letter from the parents with a phone number just in case. Have a great trip. If you have time the ferry across to the island is nice. So is the Royal Ontario Museum and the Toronto Zoo. So much to see.

The Holiday Inn on King is GREAT. It has a super location, close to everything. And there is underground parking there. You won't need the car for your stay. You can walk to the Rogers Centre and everywhere else from there.
It is a fun spot to be in where a lot of the singles clubs are right there and tons of restaurants.

You might want to consider the Old Spagetti Factory to eat at. It's great for kids and fun. Also, Marche is fun to eat at. It is a little market/restaurant.

Holiday Inn on King would be my first pick, if you wanted something in walking distance. There are lots of other hotels that would work, and would be an easy streetcar or subway ride away, if you're open to that option (and on a weekend a whole family can travel on one day pass).

If you like comedy, there is a comedy club downstairs in the Holiday Inn on King, and there's the Second City just a block away.

As far as the border goes, aren't you supposed to use a passport by now? I'd check into that.

Passport is not needed for land crossings yet, but I would definately agree with getting a note of permission. I live in a border city, and I have known some guards to be sticky on it.

You really could stay at any hotel adjacent a stop on the Toronto subway system. Hop on the subway and ride to Union Station and then it's a relatively short walk to both CN Tower and Skydome. (I refuse to call it that other name!)
You've GOT to go up the tower during your visit.

BobK/Orlando

DISNEYLOVER, another NYer here - I'd get a notarized letter to be safe, as far as bringing someone else's child.

The Royal York is a wonderful hotel... but a bit more grown-up, IMO, than you may want for having a couple of kids with you. I'd also go with the HI on King. I stayed once at a nice Crowne Plaza hotel downtown but I think that placed changed ownerhip b/c I can't find any info on it anymore.

Marche is a great place for a meal. I also agree about doing the CN Tower - everyone has to do that once. You might want to take the boys on a tour of the Roger Centre (I think of it as SkyDome too!) if they offer them when you're there. I did that years ago and although I'm not a baseball fan, I loved it. It's also fun for the kids to walk around downtown using the PATH tunnels. Whatever you do, enjoy it!

You might want to consider going the Priceline route for the hotel - I've never spent more than $75 US for the Sheraton, Harbour Castle or the Marriott - all within walking distance of the Rogers Centre. Recently, there've been winning bids for the hotel that is inside the Rogers Centre too.

I just looked at the Jays schedule and the series where they're at home playing the Yankees is the week of Civic Holiday. The Monday before the series starts is a holiday for a lot of people here. Sooo...you might want to make sure you book sooner than later.

And while staying very close to the Rogers Centre is a better experience, you may want to consider staying a bit farther away and just taking the subway down. There's a whole slew of hotels as you go north including another Mariott at the Eaton Centre and the Delta Chelsea at Bay and Gerrard. And actually, you can still walk from those hotels to the dome.

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents for the Holiday Inn on King. I stayed there a few years ago with my daughter, and it is great. Parking at the hotel is reasonable. The pool is great. They have an outdoor pool on the roof. The kids would really like that. Hope you enjoy the game!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter