NYE at WDW

ClarabelleCow

Where did my tag go? Oh fairy, can you help me?
On Friday I booked on a whim 5 nights at VWL, 12/28 - 1/2. Didn't realize I was still within my 11 month window!! But will all the talk re: holidays at VWL, I decided to go for it. Now, how crazy is it at the parks those days, and has anyone done anything special for NYE? My inlaws will be at the campground so the kids will be with them for the night, so what Adult thing can we do? Also is Mickey's very merry christmas party still going on after 12/25?
thanks

Very crowded on NYE. Was there Dec 31 2004 - jan 4 2005. Magic kingdom was really crowded on NYE, but the fireworks show at midnight was honestly the best firework show I have ever seen in my life. It was fantasy in the sky, but, at midnight (it started maybe 10 minutes before midnight??), it turned into a 360 degree firework display. We were right in front of Cinderella castle and no matter which way we turned there was display going on ( i would say 10 simultaneous firework displays going off in sync at all sides of the park).

Jan 1 it was supposed to be dead, but it was crowded up until we left. The line for space mountain on jan 3 was 2 - 3 hours. Still, i think it was the best time to go because of all that was going on plus it was like 78 degrees every day.

We will be at DVC during that time too. Our first NYE trip was for the Millenium, so this one should be a bit less exuberant than that one was. We espeically liked Epcot for NYE. Make a dinner PS for your favorite restaurant at Epcot WS, and plan to stay for the fireworks at midnight. It will be VERY crowded, but a lot of fun. Each country celebrates NYE at the time it is midnight in that country. For most European countries, that means 6 PM, so take that into account when making your PS! We had a 6:15 PS for Germany last time, and it was a mad house trying to get in! :cool1:

We have been the last three years in a row. While we aren't going this year (off to someplace different), it is a great time to go to WDW IMHO. Get to the parks early, eat lunch and then leave. Go back later. We were able to get into the MK last New Year's eve at 8:00 P.M. without a problem, even though admittance was cut off for outside guests.

HBC

NYE is great. We'll be back this year. We did it for NYE 03 and went to Disney Studios. The party was great. The parks get packed.

They have a hard ticket party at PI.

MVMCP is over about Dec 19 or 20. Osborn Lights will be going on until early Jan.

We've Done 3 NYE's at WDW. It gets very crowded. They even close the parks so you have to get in early. Once in, you can get back in but we never left either of the 3 times.
The best stratagy for us was to not expect to do many rides but to just enjoy being in the parks for NYE. It's a great time and we'll do it again sometime.

I was thinking of doing less to no rides and hitting the shows we never seem to get to! I figured that would be less stressful, plus depending on the weather, could be a good time to hit the water parks, but I understand that is hit or miss. Has anyone done the special diner at the contemporary for NYE?

It is not only very busy but PACKED. Think sardines in a can but we still enjoyed the fireworks. This year we are vacationing in a different local so we don't have to deal with the crowds but I would have never missed the chance to be at WDW for at least one Christmas and New Years Eve. Have a great time!! :flower:

That "sardine" comment is SO true! Last time, we had 7 people and leaving Epcot after the fireworks, we held onto belt loops and took baby steps the whole way out!

ClarabellCow,

Not sure if it is your thing or not but Pleasure Island is a wonderful experience. NYE is 21 and up only. We were there two years ago 03/04 and saw Blondie, Sugar Hill Gang, and a really awesome jazz musician oh and had a blast at The Adventurers Club. It was approximately $80 each for the evening which included admission, NYE hats, VIP like badges, champagne toast at midnight, and dessert buffet.

As described about the MK, the fireworks were 360 degrees and the ticker tape was falling like snow.

dallastxcpa said:
ClarabellCow,

Not sure if it is your thing or not but Pleasure Island is a wonderful experience. NYE is 21 and up only. We were there two years ago 03/04 and saw Blondie, Sugar Hill Gang, and a really awesome jazz musician oh and had a blast at The Adventurers Club. It was approximately $80 each for the evening which included admission, NYE hats, VIP like badges, champagne toast at midnight, and dessert buffet.

As described about the MK, the fireworks were 360 degrees and the ticker tape was falling like snow.

Blondie and Sugar Hill , and a hip a hop a hip hip hop!!! Talk about feeling old!! Sounds like fun, I will check into it!

But my spoiled family now doesn't seem to want to go then, they think it will be just too darn crowded! They want to go mid january instead and miss 2 days of school over MLK jr. weekend!! I am really bummed, but hey, air fare is only 700 for the 4 of us instead of 2100 and its only 156 points instead of over 223 or something!!! hmm, sounds like a no brainer, but I really want to check out NYE one of these years!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter