NYC Hotel recommendations

The Affinia Manhattan is now on special. This is steps from Penn Station if you decide to go Amtrak. 10 minute or so walk to Times Sq from here.
Stayed there once, beds were good, rooms needed some refurbishing but were clean.

travelzoo really does find great prices on places in NYC. I was helping a friend who is using Amtrak as well and she ultimately decided on Candlewood Suites Times Sq for a $99 travelzoo promo. She wanted clean and convenient, not fancy. And it seems easy to walk to from Penn Station.

I used PL and got a nice place for about $100; The Barclay Intercontinental.

I lived in the city, now the burbs. Just keep in mind many NYC hotel rooms are very small. We stayed at the Empire hotel last year after a show and were happy. It is @61st St and overlooked Lincoln Center. I was able to get a good rate online, I think the sit was something like Luxury NYC Hotels? It is a good location, 20 blocks to shows, a nice walk and many restaurants in the area. If you are concerned about using public transportation in NYC, try hopstop.com and it will give you specific point to point directions for using the subways and which direction to walk once you get out of the subway.
I saw Mary Poppins with my sons last Valentine's Day and it was magical! The theatre is gorgeous. I hope you enjoy!

We stayed at the Westin in Times Square this past summer. It was a great location, and we loved it! We actually did the things that you are talking about doing - we saw Mary Poppins ( LOVED IT!!) and we walked Central Park and went to the Met - plus a bunch of other stuff. I got a great rate at the hotel, I think I saw it on travelzoo.com like other people have been recommending. Also, check out hotels on sites like tripadvisor.com. Good luck on finding a hotel and have lots of fun!!

Maybelle,
I live in RI...if you drive to Westport,CT the Metro North will only cost you $46.00 roundtrip for all three of you. It is a straight shot down 95S. We usually leave the house at 8 and have no problem making the 10:30 train. You are at Grand Central for 11:45. That's a huge savings.
Parking would also be much easier than trying to find a spot in Providence.
Just something to consider.

Keep your eye on hotwire.com if nothing appeals to you from the list given.
www.betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com can be helpful in pinpointing which hotel is being offered. Always check reviews on trip advisor before purchasing, though.
also. check travel-ticker.com for NYC lodging specials.

Thanks for the recommendation on driving to Westport...I will definately look into that! Also thanks for posting about betterbidding.com...I had forgotten about it!

Thanks everyone!!

My DW stays in the city once a week and you can't go wrong with naming your price on priceline. We always put in for a 3 1/2 star hotel and choose whatever neighborhood you most want. We usually get a sheraton or marriott for anywhere from $150 - $190. It's non-refundable but the trade off is saving about $150 a night off their rates.

Definately use travelzoo! We booked a night's stay at the Millenium Broadway in June for $120 a night. The rooms are pretty far apart and it's very quiet, but right in the middle of everything!

What about the Edison Hotel, right on Time Square. Our school does an 8th grade trip each year and have stayed here the past 9 years. I've heard nothing but good things from parents in previous years. Its our turn coming up in May. We are all looking forward to it! Lisa

Bidding on Priceline is in NYC is not a good idea if you are more than 2 people.
Most rooms in NY are single beds (kings or queens) as they cater to the business traveler.

Travelzoo just listed the Embassy Suites for $139. More toward financial district if that matters though.

Hi! We are going to New York City in April for 2 nights. I don"t know anything about directions in New York City but I have been reading this thread and anything I can find online. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. My youngest daughter has a uncontrolled seizure disorder, she walks fine but we never know when one will pop up so we try not to tax her too much with alot of physical exertion but she certainly can walk a few blocks. Is this hotel close to the Satue of Liberty and Broadway? How far is the 911 Memorial? How about Rockerfeller Center,is that where the Today show is?The other place we would like to go is Serendipity Ice Cream shop, is that a walkable distance to the hotel? We would avoid the Subway with her and have to take a cab. Is this hotel in a good location for us to walk to some things. She wants to see the Toys R Us store also. Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks,
PammyPoppins

PP
Your hotel is very convenient to Broadway, Toys R Us, Rockefeller Ctr (the Today Show is taped here). Try to go up to the Top of the Rock.
You would have about a 20 minute subway ride downtown in regards to the Statue of Liberty. I would ride the free Staten Island Ferry to get a great view of the SOL. Not sure how much a taxi would be for this.
www.hopstop.com will help with walking directions. Very, very helpful.
It will also help calculate est taxi costs.
Serendipity is not that close. The lines can be very long. Look into that one before you decide. You would need a taxi for this.
Your hotel is not far from the Am Girl Place, not sure the age of your girls.
www.menupages.com can help for restaurants. For your hotel, look in the west 40's and 50's for ideas.

Can you walk to Central park from Times Square? What about the ferry that was mentioned? How much is it? someone told me that you have to buy tickets to go to the top of the statue of liberty. Is that true and how much is it and how do i do that? Is the zoo in central park good? I welcome all suggestions . Thank you.

We stayed at the Roosevelt and got great rates through Expedia (like $100 a night). It is close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Grand Central. It wasn't uber luxurious, but it was perfect for us! Check Expedia. Hotwire is another great way to go.

I just got back an impromptu trip to NYC. We stayed at The Muse, which is a cute boutique hotel right off Time Square. Our room had a view of TS. We booked some "Hoop and Shake" special for $175/night! The room was great, the bed was excellent!

When we went to check out, they didn't have our hula hoop (part of the promo) so they took $50 off our room! NYC, $125/night! STEAL!

They also have a decent small restaurant and bar.

We are taking our daughter in August for her 21st birthday and the Muse is on my list. I love the way it looks from what I can tell on the internet. Its it between the Muse and maybe the Marriott Marquis and the Royalton? There will be 4 of us in one room are the Muse rooms super small and how close to Times square are you? Thanks for you help.

What about the Edison Hotel, right on Time Square. Our school does an 8th grade trip each year and have stayed here the past 9 years. I've heard nothing but good things from parents in previous years. Its our turn coming up in May. We are all looking forward to it! Lisa
I've never stayed at the Edison Hotel, but definitely check out the diner that's in the hotel (Edison Cafe). It's popular with Broadway actors & is decorated with tons of theater posters, and they have great matzoh ball soup.

I stayed at The Muse once and the beds are SO comfy. I don't remember our room being very small, but it did only have one bed. It was just the two of us though so we only requested one bed.

mrsboz - You can walk to Central Park from Times Square. Times Square is in the 40s and the south end of Central Park is at 59th St. The zoo in Central Park is small but has some good exhibits - a rainforest building, two polar bears (Gus & Ida), sea lions, penguin house which I believe has just been redone, and new snow leopards that came in last year, plus some other random things. There's also a separate petting zoo that's included in your admission. (I think it's $8 or $10 for adults and about $5 for kids.) It's great for young kids because it only takes a few hours to see everything.

You do need a ticket to go to the top of the Statue of Liberty. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I do know it's timed admission so if you want to do it you should buy tickets in advance. If you just want to do a "drive by" of the Statue and not actually go inside it, you can ride the Staten Island ferry, it passes right by & goes slow enough that you can get photos. It's either free or like 50 cents, I can't remember.

jackie101, the only NYC hotels I know of with pools are $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter