NYC help-day trip w/3 kids, 1st time there!

Ok...we still haven;t made it there! Every time we plan to go someone is sick..I hate winter! anyway my kids have never been to a broadway show...isn't there someplaces you can go and tickets are half off that day or something? Still not sure if we coudl afford a show though as there are 5 of us.

Also I am trying to work on an itinerary for one day..assuming we arrive no later then 10:00a.m. and can stay til about 6 or 7. Any tips?

TKTS booth in Times Square has half-price tickets for same day shows -- but if you want to leave by 6 or 7 you'll have to hit a matinee, only available on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Thanks for all that great info! There are so many places to see and things to do I am going crazy!
I know we want to hit a toy store..and the Disney store if it's still there. Also want to eat PIZZA!!!! The kids want to see if it tastes different then the stuff we get here in the Lehigh Valley ;) Kids also saw that Dylan's candy bar on Unwrapped on the food network. Not sure how close everything is since we haven't been there before.
I will check into the water taxi but don't think we'll have the $$$. looking to kind if just walk around and see a few sights that will entertain all 3 kids. Then maybe next time we can do some of the more expensive things. :goodvibes

I haven't been here, but check out John's Pizza. Supposedly good authentic NY pizza in a nice setting (old church). You buy by the pie, which is good to feed a crowd, and may cut down on how much you will spend.

I also noticed that there is a Cake Boss Cafe right down from Port Authority. They sell all kinds of Cake Boss goodies, and you can watch them make them in the window. The original Cake Boss bakery is across the river in Hoboken, but if your kids watch that show, this might be the next best thing.

I passed the Disney Store but I couldn't tell if it was open. It looked closed to me :confused3. You kids would love TRU- multiple floors of toys!

There is also a cool M&M's store where you can bag your own M&M's and choose the colors. And down the street from there is a Hershey store. This is all in Times Square area.

I am not sure where Dylan's Candy bar is, but I don't think it is in the Times Square area.

We also walked from Central Park to the TS area and it is do-able. Your kids might enjoy that as well. There are big rocks they can climb on, and somewhere in there is a zoo- I didn't see it, but Central Park is pretty huge.

Thinking of heading up there today! Looking for a walking route from Port authority, kind of like what order to go from thing to thing as I have no idea the proximity the places mentioned above are located. Are there any type os sings on the streets to direct you to places or is it like you just walk and see what you see?
We can't do the water taxi, funds are limited as we just bought tix. and are booked to do a YES program on 6/25!

Can anyone help? We are hoping to leave by 10a.m. today 3/30!

Did I read correctly, that you're only 1-1/2 hours away? Why not just see a few things, and then plan on coming back to see more later?

I live 2 hours from Pittsburgh, and have gone there more times than I can begin to count. Each visit we see something new, and keep going back. If I only lived 1-1/2 hours from New York City, I'd just go and do things totally spur-of-the-moment.

My advice? Skip John's for pizza. I went based on the rave reviews and figured I'd give it a try. It was one of the worst tasting pizza I've had. As for the setting, I didn't get that either, big loud and felt like a warehouse. Just dive into one of the small pizzerias you pass along the way. It will be cheaper too.

I'm not big on going to all the stores that others have mentioned, just not my thing, so can't give you any help there.

What type of stuff do you want to do? It's so nice out today, even if you just walk all over you'll have fun.

Download a NYC tripadvisor app. I just used one for Boston, and it was very helpful - guided me in the right direction. There are cops everywhere - feel free to ask for help. Central Park will be beautiful today! Go to the zoo, go explore.

My advice? Skip John's for pizza. I went based on the rave reviews and figured I'd give it a try. It was one of the worst tasting pizza I've had. As for the setting, I didn't get that either, big loud and felt like a warehouse. Just dive into one of the small pizzerias you pass along the way. It will be cheaper too.

I'm not big on going to all the stores that others have mentioned, just not my thing, so can't give you any help there.

What type of stuff do you want to do? It's so nice out today, even if you just walk all over you'll have fun.

We just want to I guess park at Pt.A and walk to a few places and eat lunch. Needs to be cheap and stuff my kids will like, ages 13, 10 and 5. We have never been there before.

Forgot add that we do not have any type of "smartphone" with internet on it or anything.:(

I have a tripadvisor app on which I can save locations and it maps them out. Check that out on line. Or, just google NYC walking map and see if you can find something with the sites you want to see. I think today would be the perfect day to go...beautiful out! If your kiddo are good walkers, venture out of the Times Square area and head to Central Park. I want to say it is north of TS, but I am a little directionally challenged. The 9/11 Memorial is south, so I am pretty sure Central Park is just a few blocks north. Print a map!!! :)

Just saw you dont have a smart phone (me either...i have a Nook). My neighbor lent me this very cool fold out pocket sized map, divided into boros. It was really helpful. Duck into one of the many NYC souvenir shops or find a sidewalk newsstand and pick up a map.

I'd just make sure you have someone help you make up a good route going to/from wherever. Once me and DH took a wrong exit and it reminded me of the movie "Judgement Night" where the guys are going to a boxing match and tried to take a short cut and end up involved being chased by gang members. :eek: this was pre-GPS days, and we had no clue. The next time I went on a trip from VA to CT, my son wanted to stop to pee right as soon as we hit NYC. I handed him a cup, and told him pee in this or wait till we're out of NYC. :rotfl:

We just want to I guess park at Pt.A and walk to a few places and eat lunch. Needs to be cheap and stuff my kids will like, ages 13, 10 and 5. We have never been there before.

Forgot add that we do not have any type of "smartphone" with internet on it or anything.:(

So, just park at the P.A., and walk around. You'll find dozens of places that are cheap and your kids will like. :confused3

Make it an adventure! "Let's see what's in here!"pixiedust:

If I were going into the city today and wanted something inexpensive with my kids, I would go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's a fantastic museum, and kids love the Egyptian and the Arms and Armor exhibit. Don't pay the suggested entry admission! Give them $1.00 per person, and don't feel funny about it. From there I would go to Central park and walk around. The park is right there, so no wandering trying to find it.

Thinking of heading up there today! Looking for a walking route from Port authority, kind of like what order to go from thing to thing as I have no idea the proximity the places mentioned above are located. Are there any type os sings on the streets to direct you to places or is it like you just walk and see what you see?
We can't do the water taxi, funds are limited as we just bought tix. and are booked to do a YES program on 6/25!

Can anyone help? We are hoping to leave by 10a.m. today 3/30!

I do have a suggestion - if you have a smart phone - download the "hopstop" app on your phone. It gives great directions (by foot, by taxi, and by subway) to get from point A to point B. Including estimated times. We found this t be very accurate when we were in town in December.

I do have a suggestion - if you have a smart phone - download the "hopstop" app on your phone. It gives great directions (by foot, by taxi, and by subway) to get from point A to point B. Including estimated times. We found this t be very accurate when we were in town in December.

She said she doesn't have a smart phone.

If I were you I would pick up a map at the port authority and walk around from there. Its a beautiful day today. Even if you just walk around have lunch and go home. I wouldnt worry about wandering into "bad neighborhoods". New York is a very safe city these days. Sometimes the best way to explore a city is to go off the beaten path a little bit. Go and visit times square, but avoid the touristy box stores. If you decide to go back again another day, try walking around some different neighborhoods (maybe a little more downtown). There is nothing better than finding a great neighborhood restaurant that is not part of a major chain. Enjoy!

Also, GPSs will direct you through dangerous places. I'd ask people who actually live there what exits are safe to take and good routes.

Really? Manhattan is a very safe city. I've driven around alone, lost, at night, no GPS, and have never found myself in a bad area. No Bonfire of the Vanities moments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter