NYC Cruise - First Timer - Rookie Questions!

Davidsmommy

DIS Veteran
I have always wanted to try a cruise (never cruised any line at all). Being a Disney fan, I always imagined I would do a Disney Cruise someday. We are upstate NY, so when I saw the chance to cruise Disney without airfare, I thought I should check it out.

We didn't have a plan yet for a 2016 vacation. We are doing almost 2 weeks this summer at WDW with the kids. I thought a Disney cruise might work for 2016 - so jumped in to try and price. Unfortunately, can't do a whole family thing for the NYC cruises - kids can't miss school (sophomore and 6th grade).

So, then I decided to price for me and husband alone.

I have a hold on a 9c for 2 Adults on the 10/2 Canada out of NYC. It is $2560. That is $1125 pp plus $310.74 taxes/fees/port expenses.

I have NO idea if we will actually go. Our 19th anniversary is 10/4/16, so I figured that was as good an excuse as any for an adult only trip (we believe fully in vacationing without our kids sometimes). But, I don't want to decide right now.

Questions: 1.) If I pay the $450 deposit, can I get it back if we cancel in the next year or so? I don't mind tying up the deposit $, but I don't want to lose it. I was trying to read the terms and conditions, but it said something about restricted categories - I couldn't figure out what that meant (if mine was restricted).

2.) I have read trip insurance is a must for cruises. It seems most people get it somewhere other than Disney though. Is there a timeframe where you HAVE to buy it by generally?

3.) Everyone I have mentioned this plan to thinks I'm nuts for thinking about Canada in October. They want to know why I am not going somewhere warmer. lol Is this type of itinerary boring? We love being busy. I feel like the sea days might be boring if I can't swim/lay out.

4.) We don't drink. How much more can I expect to spend on this endeavor? Like I said, this wasn't really planned. Under $3k we could swing. Spending a ton more seems excessive without the kids, ynwim? I guess I am trying to gauge if I am still in for another $2K to do fun stuff, or can you get by with not planning a lot of $ excursions, etc.

5.) I decided to try and compare apples to apples so I started looking at other cruise lines for the same timeframe to Canada. This confused me even more and made me realize I really need to research this more - which brings me back to can I get my deposit back.

I know this is all over the place and nobody can decide if I want to go to Canada but me. lol I guess the most important question is can I get my deposit back if I start researching this more and decide it isn't for us.

Thanks for helping a cruise idiot.

I have always wanted to try a cruise (never cruised any line at all). Being a Disney fan, I always imagined I would do a Disney Cruise someday. We are upstate NY, so when I saw the chance to cruise Disney without airfare, I thought I should check it out.

We didn't have a plan yet for a 2016 vacation. We are doing almost 2 weeks this summer at WDW with the kids. I thought a Disney cruise might work for 2016 - so jumped in to try and price. Unfortunately, can't do a whole family thing for the NYC cruises - kids can't miss school (sophomore and 6th grade).

I have a hold on a 9c for 2 Adults on the 10/2 Canada out of NYC. It is $2560. That is $1125 pp plus $310.74 taxes/fees/port expenses.

I have NO idea if we will actually go. Our 19th anniversary is 10/4/16, so I figured that was as good an excuse as any for an adult only trip (we believe fully in vacationing without our kids sometimes). But, I don't want to decide right now.

Questions: 1.) If I pay the $450 deposit, can I get it back if we cancel in the next year or so? I don't mind tying up the deposit $, but I don't want to lose it. I was trying to read the terms and conditions, but it said something about restricted categories - I couldn't figure out what that meant (if mine was restricted).

2.) I have read trip insurance is a must for cruises. It seems most people get it somewhere other than Disney though. Is there a timeframe where you HAVE to buy it by generally?

3.) Everyone I have mentioned this plan to thinks I'm nuts for thinking about Canada in October. They want to know why I am not going somewhere warmer. lol Is this type of itinerary boring? We love being busy. I feel like the sea days might be boring if I can't swim/lay out.

4.) We don't drink. How much more can I expect to spend on this endeavor? Like I said, this wasn't really planned. Under $3k we could swing. Spending a ton more seems excessive without the kids, ynwim? I guess I am trying to gauge if I am still in for another $2K to do fun stuff, or can you get by with not planning a lot of $ excursions, etc.

5.) I decided to try and compare apples to apples so I started looking at other cruise lines for the same timeframe to Canada. This confused me even more and made me realize I really need to research this more - which brings me back to can I get my deposit back.

I know this is all over the place and nobody can decide if I want to go to Canada but me. lol I guess the most important question is can I get my deposit back if I start researching this more and decide it isn't for us.

1) As long as you cancel before the Paid in Full date, you will receive all monies paid back. Restricted categories refers to the last minute restricted fares offered after the Paid in Full date on those cruises that aren't selling well.

2) Insurance for most is important. Most US health plans do not cover for "out of country" medical costs, including medical evacuation (which can be quite costly). If you want to cover things like Pre-exisiting conditions (either yourselves or someone at home whose illness could affect your trip) generally you need to purchase within 14-21 day for most companies.

3) If you want to travel to Canada in October, that's all that's important. There are others who won't. It's your vacation. We've not been bored on any DCL cruises yet. Plenty to do, besides sitting by the pool.

4) It's entirely possible to have no additional expenses once onboard your cruise. The only things that you will be, most likely, paying for would be the gratuities (these can be pre-paid) and excursions (if you take any).

5) See #1.

Just relax - everything's going to be OK.

DH & I went on our 1st cruise last yr & got a great last minute VGT deal. We decided to just really enjoy the cruise & not book any excursions. We got off at each port & just walked around with a little shopping. I think that in Canada I'd feel even more comfortable just walking around & exploring. When vendors are aggressive it makes me uncomfortable, I imagine Canada's not like that.

The only extra things DH & I spent on the cruise ship was a few alcoholic drinks (which you've already said you had no interest in), 1 speciality coffee for DH, 1 popcorn at the movies, souvenirs, & rental of snorkel gear at castaway. We of course had our tips to pay, but knew that going in. We did have a $100 on board credit from Dreams Unlimited so that offset some of these expenses. Did you book with a TA to get some on board credits?

We are going on the 10/2 cruise as well -- and I'm also originally from upstate. Well, WNY. ;-) I love Canada, and think visiting there will be fun. October can be chilly, but there can be Indian Summer, too. You're not going to swim and bake in the sun, but there's lots else to do on board. And a fascinating place to visit! Did you look at the Port Adventures for Halifax? Even if you chose not to purchase through those, it might give you an idea of what there is to do.

We buy the insurance through Disney, just, well, because it's good to have insurance. Something could go wrong, we might need it, it feels better to us to have it. I honestly don't know why anyone buys it elsewhere, unless you can get a better rate or something.

In regards to spending, as long as you budget in gratuities, you can spend very little, really. Your meals are all paid for (except for the "specialty" restaurants like Palo, and they're nice, but not essential). If you don't drink alcohol -- I don't really either -- your beverages are all covered too, essentially. (Fancy coffees, and anything you can't get from the drink stations onboard -- ginger ale, for example, which I love! -- you have to pay for) Movies are included. Shows are included. We spent a chunk of money on our cruise, but what we spent it on was:

- excursions
- photos
- souvenirs
- Palo dining

So, none of it's essential stuff, you know what I mean?

2-- I don't think trip insurance is a must, unless you really have a major concern of last minute sickness cancelling the trip.

3 -- weather will be similar to upstate New York. I like upstate New York in October.... light jacket weather. The pools are heated, you can use the pools and hot tubs as long as it's not raining.

4-- Make sure you factor in gratuities. Other than that, excursions shouldn't be too pricey. With no alcohol, you won't have huge additional costs.

5-- Pretty sure you can get your deposit back. But not sure about exclusion dates, etc.

I honestly don't know why anyone buys it elsewhere, unless you can get a better rate or something.
Typically, yes, you can get better coverage for a lower cost if purchased through a 3rd party rather that directly through the cruiseline. Plus, insurance purchased through the cruiseline will only cover whatever was actually purchased through the cruise line. If you purchased airfare, or hotel stays pre/post cruise separately, they aren't covered.

Thanks all!!! I think I am going to go for it and pay the deposit. And then research the heck out of cruising! A new obsession.....

Reactions: TAK
Typically, yes, you can get better coverage for a lower cost if purchased through a 3rd party rather that directly through the cruiseline. Plus, insurance purchased through the cruiseline will only cover whatever was actually purchased through the cruise line. If you purchased airfare, or hotel stays pre/post cruise separately, they aren't covered.

AH! Interesting. We always get the airfare insurance separately, though, so not an issue. But that answers the question, thanks.

AH! Interesting. We always get the airfare insurance separately, though, so not an issue. But that answers the question, thanks.

I hadn't thought of separate coverages, but how does that work if your flight is delayed enough to miss embarkation? I'm assuming since the flights are covered by a different insurance than the cruise, there would be no assistance to help you catch-up to the ship at the next port. I suppose at that point you'd just have to submit to the insurance for the missed cruise and revise your vacation plans to be on land.

I agree it's convenient to get insurance through the cruise line. But the limited coverage and higher cost send me to a 3rd party.

Enjoy your cruise!

I hadn't thought of separate coverages, but how does that work if your flight is delayed enough to miss embarkation?

Ah. Any time we take a cruise, Disney or otherwise, we fly in the day before. So I never think about that, because if there's a day's worth of delays/cancelled flights, something else really wrong is going on in the world and we'd all have bigger fish to fry. :) But if you fly same-day, sure, I imagine that's a factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter