Nut allergy

sarah aka madmouse

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I have a member of my family that has a nut allergy.We are going to Disney and I need to know where is safe to eat.Is there any info on where is best on Disney property?
Thanks

I'm allergic to all tree nuts, water chestnuts, coconut, and scallops, as well as all of their oils.

I've eaten at just about every restaurant on WDW property.

As soon as you are seated, tell the server you have allergies and don't order anything without speaking to the chef first. They are generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

Of course use common sense like avoiding desserts at buffets (tell tehs erver that you need "fresh" desserts brought from the kitchen to avoid cross contamination.

Almost none of the breads are made on property, so be careful there.

At Citrico's one of the breads has nuts in it, the srever will bring you a basket of the other bread cut fresh and kept seperate.

Boma was a "scarey one" for me--3/4 of the dishes have one of my alergins in it. They did offer to have something made special for me, but that was after I had already eaten quite a bit of the same three items that were safe, so I declined...I wish they ahd offered that from the start.

Kona Cafe was great about the allergies. The buttermilk biscuits in all the breakfasts are nut free-frozen from Pillsbury. I always opt for them rather than breads.

The biggest problems you'll face are cross contamination issues at the buffet (don't be afraid to ask for something fresh from the kitchen to avoid problems) and ignorance. Some chefs don't realize that most white chocolate is made with almond oils, and some don't even know there ware walnuts in pesto sauce (that was on the DCL Magic) Last year a chef at the Tusker House told me there were nuts ina specific item, this year I was told by another chef no nuts. Needless to say I didn't chance it.

If you have specific reatuarants you are thinking about, feel free to ask and I'll give you my experience, although it might be different from yours--I've had night and day experiences at some of the restaurants, although others have always been fabulous.

Anne

i would avoid the buffets if possible. cross contamination is a serious issue for someone with allergies. I think asking for fresh/new food would take a long time and probally not worth the trouble unless it was a special buffet for the kids that can't be missed.

Originally posted by disnurse
i would avoid the buffets if possible. cross contamination is a serious issue for someone with allergies. I think asking for fresh/new food would take a long time and probally not worth the trouble unless it was a special buffet for the kids that can't be missed.

Actually it doesn't take long at all--most of the foods for buffets are prepared in big pans ahead of time and just waiting in the heaters/coolers to be brought out as replacements.

The Cape May Cafe was fantastic about bringing out "fresh" non-contaminated foods for me--it was on their insistence rather than my request :)

Anne

I agree with ducklite. My daughter is allergic to several things and the we have attended most of the character meal buffets more than once. The chefs have always been more than accommodating. We are amazed by how fast they are able to prepare special meals for her.

We keep taking her back to WDW because it is the one place on earth she can eat like everyone else at a restaurant.

and she has never had a problem eating at WDW. Let your server know about the allergy and the chef will come right out to your table to make suggestions. We have even had meals prepared for my DW that weren't even on the menu.

We will be traveling with my nephew who has a severe nut allergy. We made note on all of our PS that someone in our party has severe food allergies. When I called to do this, the cm also gave me the phone number of every restaurant where we will eat. I was told to call a week in advance to speak to the restaurant to discuss the allergy. We will also speak to our server when we arrive. This gave us the peace of mind that his food should be safe.

I really think that if you can give a restaurant advance notice (24 hours or more) of your arrival it would make a world of difference.
If you wait until you arrive then you will end up waiting while the chefs scramble to make you your dinner. Also, you take a good chance on missing out on items that simply take too long to fix. A good example of this is dessert. A cake, pie, cheesecake, etc. all take more time to make than you will want to spend waiting on it. Not to mention that it gives the chefs a chance to be sure to have the right product on hand for your particular allergy. Some allergies are more common than others and some ingredients are not cost effective to keep on hand.

Just my 2 cents.

We've been told the same thing....

Just give the restaurants 24 hours notice, and it's amazing what the chefs can whip up!!

DH has some sensitivities, and I like to make sure that he's going to enjoy everything, so we make the arrangements- and we have a great time!!!

I've never called in advance--it's pretty easy to avoid nuts if you're willing to be flexible, but my sometimes travel companion with wheat allergies always does, and it makes a world of difference for her--it's a lot harder to avoid wheat and glutons.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter