• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nursing mom...WORRIED

My "baby" just turned 13, but her first trip to WDW was at 6 months. I did use the Babycare Centers, but I also used lots of the "dark" rides like Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, etc to feed her. I also found that there were lots of benches that weren't on major walkways where I was comfortable feeding her. I don't think I received one rude glance or comment in a week-long trip.

My DD, now 3, was 5 months on our first trip to WDW. I was used to nursing anywhere we needed to do so, with appropriate covering, and I did the same at in the parks. We never got a second glance and had a wonderful trip. I hope that you are able to do the same.

If anyone makes a rude comment to you just tell them: "I couldn't care less about what you think, and if it bothers you then don't look". I'm expecting my third child any day now and I am hoping to be able to breast feed. My other two had problems latching on, so I had to pump and bottle feed them my breast milk. I'm crossing my fingers that this one doesn't have any problems nursing.

Go for it!!! I'm a bottle mom because of medical issues w/ both, but the only time I've ever been like "WHOA" was when I had a guest over at my house and she pulled up her shirt and pulled down that bra and left it open for the world (she was NOT a small girl there) and her baby was having the worst time latching on and my husband was getting uncomfortable because it was RIGHT THERE (I offered her a rocker in my son's room but she refused and continued on). 99% of the time moms are very discreet w/ it and I see no problem with that.

Just in case it makes you feel better.... (bolding is mine)

Forty-four states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws with language specifically allowing women to breastfeed in any public or private location (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming).

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389

So legally, you are covered.

The thread about the woman being turned away from the Nursing Room at the Baby Care Center has me worried. A few moms mentioned that people are very rude to moms nursing in public at WDW. I'm a nursing mom of a 7 month old and I'm really worried about this...I'm concerned about getting rude comments from people when I'm trying to feed her.

:hug: I think being a parent is often (not always!) the beginning of the end of caring about what other people think! :goodvibes Don't worry a minute about what other people think about you nursing your sweetie -- or else you'll find you're worried what people are thinking when your 2yo has a meltdown in public. Then, when she's three, she'll belt out a cuss word in front of your MIL. At four, you'll run into your pastor at the store, and your daughter will say hello while she's got a finger jammed up her nose. When she's five, she'll be the only one at kindergarten graduation who shouts, "I'm bored!" and walks right off the stage. And you'll realize, as each year passes, that people are going to judge you and your parenting skills and choices. Don't. Let. Them. Bother. You.

And have a great trip!

We went in Oct 2008 when my daughter was 7 weeks old. I nursed her in public but never got any rude comments. But then again I wasnt really paying attention. I also did it discretely like when I had her in the mei tai, or I used a nursing cover, but the weather was so nice it wasnt too hot to put a nursing cover over her.

I know there are places you can purchase small business cards that say "Breastfeeding is not a crime." or "Its not again the law to nurse in public" and "If breastfeeding offends you feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head." etc.... There are also ones that list the benefits of breastfeeding. You should look into purchasing some, so if some gives you a rude comment you can hand them the card and just walk away.

I nursed both of my kids at WDW without any problems. I nursed on benches, on rides, and on the monorail. I may have gotten dirty looks, but I honestly never pay attention to what anyone else is doing. :goodvibes

I nursed my daughter on the It's a small world ride.. :rotfl:

good memories I tell ya! :goodvibes

Never nursed in WDW but I have nursed my older kids & am still nursing my 5mo old. And believe me I have discretely nursed in public many times and my "girls" are full sized double D's and it can be done ;). My first daughter did not like things over her head either but as long as her head concealed the primary area we were fine:lovestruc. I would dress in layers and cover/ position my shirt to conceal what I could with her. Yes, you may get dirty looks from those who choose to view it as something sexual but you have to ignore the ignorance cuddle your baby close and do your thing :love:. Also, if you are still a little worried maybe practice some different positions and/or experiment w/ some different type of clothing. Otherwise, don't sweat it too much just do what you would do on any given day & have a magical trip.:wizard:

:hug: I think being a parent is often (not always!) the beginning of the end of caring about what other people think! :goodvibes Don't worry a minute about what other people think about you nursing your sweetie -- or else you'll find you're worried what people are thinking when your 2yo has a meltdown in public. Then, when she's three, she'll belt out a cuss word in front of your MIL. At four, you'll run into your pastor at the store, and your daughter will say hello while she's got a finger jammed up her nose. When she's five, she'll be the only one at kindergarten graduation who shouts, "I'm bored!" and walks right off the stage. And you'll realize, as each year passes, that people are going to judge you and your parenting skills and choices. Don't. Let. Them. Bother. You.

And have a great trip!

Such good advice! I'll apply this as we venture into the terrible twos. :)

I think the round-up message from those of us who have been there is this:

--YAY you for nursing! It's a great way to start a life.
--You are legally able to nurse anywhere and everywhere in Disneyworld.
--Once you get the hang of it, you can nurse in public with a great deal of modesty if you choose.
--There are a zillion great quiet and cool places to nurse in The World.
--Almost every person you see will not notice.
--Most of the people who **DO** notice will be other mothers who did the same thing and they'll think "Good for her!!" They'll flash you a smile and a quiet look of encouragement without you ever noticing.
--The few who do notice and are uptight and upset about it will likely vent about it elsewhere. They aren't worth your time or worry.
--If one foolish, uninformed, tactless person does say something, you can have a variety of comebacks prepped and ready to go--tell them off, turn it into a joke, calmly inform them that its not their concern, icy stare, eye roll....but you won't ever need them. Feel sorry for them that they have nothing more important going on in their lives than to harass you. They're at DISNEY world for goodness sake! They should be thinking about Dole Whips and Fast Pass times for Toy Story Mania, not the flash of breast they just caught!

All we can do as parents is to do our best. It will still never be enough for a choice few people in our sphere. We can't parent to please them, only to try and help these little people in our care turn into good adults who have sense and kindness. The sense and kindness to see that a mother feeding her child is an act of love to be admired, not condemned.

I would say that it is rare for someone to actually confront you while you are nursing. Most people are not confrontational unless they are in a position of authority and don't know the bf laws in that state. And, I think Disney employees are probably trained well enough that they should know the laws regarding NIP in Florida. However, what you might receive is dirty looks or snide comments as someone walks by. Also, possible that someone will complain to a CM (but likely not within hearing distance of you). I don't necessarily think it is worse at Disney than any other place. There are just more people at Disney. You should be fine. Do what needs to be done and just ignore everything else.

Lovely, cuteandfluffy!

OP, I hate to think of you at home stressing about this! You should approach your upcoming trip with nothing but excitement and no worries! I have followed the other thread you are talking about, and there are lots and lots of comments about how rude people can be. If someone from another planet read that thread, they would probably be scared to DEATH to NIP at Disney -- like the whole place is just crawling with people waiting to catch a NIPer in the act and blast away. I think just like any other thread, it's more thoughts and discussion than a testament to what it's really like to NIP at Disney. My DD was beyond nursing age when we went to Disney (at least for us! she was 6 ;)), but I nursed her anywhere and everywhere and never did hear one comment, and I have a strong feeling you'll get through your entire vacation without hearing one remark as well!

OT, but I remember one time when DD was very little and we were just getting used to the whole concept of NIP and I was at the mall. It was not crowded there, and I found a secluded little area of benches where no one was around. We got going, then a man comes over and sits down. Then another, then another, then another! The next thing I know I'm sitting there nursing and there are like 5 guys all sitting there (minding their own business and not paying attention, but still). And the benches were in a circle arrangement, so we were all facing each other. I was like, OMG, how am I going to get myself back together in front of all these guys? :eek: Somehow we managed, and not one of them said anything or really even seemed to notice. My face was about 10 shades of red, but hey, the babe needs to eat and I'm not sequestering myself in the house till she weans! And after that we were pros. I could even nurse holding DD while pushing a cart around Walmart and not show a sliver of skin. I am oblivious to whether or not anyone noticed, but maybe I should go check the "People of Walmart" site and make sure my pic isn't there! :scared1::laughing:

Best of luck, OP!

Honestly? if anyone gave ME a hard time about NIP I'd whip out a bewbie and flap it at them. :woohoo:.

This is as far as I got reading these messages.....so funny!
"flap it at them"....:rotfl:

To the OP, that thread listed many examples of rudeness about and to bfing and bottlefeeding moms but don't let it worry you. Those examples are from many women from many areas. Disney doesn't have a concentration of people ready to say something to you. Do what you normally do. :thumbsup2

I thought I might get nasty comments for nursing my then 18 month old because she was so big, but I absolutely didn't! I didn't even notice a dirty look, much less anyone having the nerve to say anything. As she was getting older, she did nurse less and less, but when she needed it, she needed it. We nursed in PhilHarmagic, on benches, in the baby care center, in line for Ariel...never a problem.

I think that as long as you attempt to be discreet (i.e. don't nurse sitting on the pavement right in front of cinderella's castle) no one will say anything. I haven't NIP at WDW (will in may), but I have done it at the San Diego zoo, aquariums, malls, airports, airplanes, and other places. I an't use a cover either (much to my husband's dismay), because DD has issues with it. If anyone were to give me a hard time about it (no one has ever said anything to me or even gave me a nasty look, other than DH - apparently he has issues with me NIP...but he's easy to ignore when it comes to that ;-)) I'd just say "well, if it bothers you - then don't look".

I nursed both of my kids at WDW without any problems. I nursed on benches, on rides, and on the monorail. I may have gotten dirty looks, but I honestly never pay attention to what anyone else is doing. :goodvibes

I haven't read teh whole thread but just wanted to add that I've nursed two kiddos on trips to DW (one at 8mo old and one at 10mo old) and I've never had a problem. I nursed whenever they were hungry, whereever I was. No one ever said a thing or made me feel uncomfortable... not like I would have cared anyway. My little ones didn't like having their head covered either so I just did it discretely, same as I would anywhere else.

Practice your best "dirty look." Who cares, you're feeding your baby. In one ear and out the other, you'll never see that person ever again. There's even a law in FL (and most states!) protecting your right to NIP.

This all from a formula mommy too :goodvibes:

Congrats on nursing!
My kids are now 7 and 6, so I'm past this stage, but if we had gone to WDW while they were babies, I would have nursed them whenever and whereever they wanted/needed to.
Just think of all of the other moms that you're encouraging to also do the right thing for their babies by being brave enough to nurse in public.
I found lots of encouragement and support in this by attending La Leche League meetings, too. It gave me a lot of confidence on the easiest way to nurse in hot weather, restaurants, etc. Most of the time, people don't even have a clue what I was doing.

On a side note, Silver Dollar City is a great them park to visit with nursing infants. They have nursing stations in various places throughout the park. We were there once at Christmas, and it was nice to warm up and snuggle with my baby throughout our time at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter