Nursery help - baby boy!

Leshaface

DIS Veteran
I'm not really great at coming up with decorating ideas, so I need some help.

We're having a baby boy in September and I'm looking at what we can do for the nursery.

I was originally thinking about doing the upper half of all the walls blue, the lower half green (will be using far right green), and having it separated by a brown molding like this:

594938d5.jpg

Here is the bedding (of course, Disney!)

810YNZp5QGL_AA1500_.jpg

Now i'm thinking it might be too much work.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I scrap the molding idea (and save some money) and do alternating walls blue and green? Or something else? Please help this poor first time mom!

ETA: That green looks really neon-y/limey in the picture. I promise it doesn't look like that in person. I prefer the middle green, but I got outvoted by DH and mom.

You could do all the walls green, except for one. I would pick a focal wall and maybe paint it a brown then use the blue or green paint to put his name on the wall. His name would really show against a brown wall, just dont go too dark brown. If you are artistic you can freehand it (I'm not) or you can buy the oversize wood letters at craft shops (at hobby lobby they are 2.99 ea, plus a coupon for 40% off), then you customize the color of his name to the room and save the money of having someone paint his name or a mural. I used the letters for my daughters nursery and just repainted them when I updated her to a "big girl" room.

We used to live in a cape cod style of house. The flat lower walls were green, and the sloping upper walls were blue, up to the flat ceiling which was white. There wasn't any type of molding. My husband just used painter's tape for straight lines. He wanted to put molding around the ceiling in a downstairs room but gave up and hired a carpenter. Molding is a lot of work to miter at the corners, and you have to countersink the nailheads and then fill the holes. I don't know how you would do that with the nice brown molding you show there.

I love your color scheme, though!

How about using a wallpaper border instead of molding? That way when you want to repaint, you can just strip off the border!

You could do all the walls green, except for one. I would pick a focal wall and maybe paint it a brown then use the blue or green paint to put his name on the wall. His name would really show against a brown wall, just dont go too dark brown. If you are artistic you can freehand it (I'm not) or you can buy the oversize wood letters at craft shops (at hobby lobby they are 2.99 ea, plus a coupon for 40% off), then you customize the color of his name to the room and save the money of having someone paint his name or a mural. I used the letters for my daughters nursery and just repainted them when I updated her to a "big girl" room.

I was already going to have blocks made with his name, although not big enough to place on a wall. I like this idea though! Thank you!

We used to live in a cape cod style of house. The flat lower walls were green, and the sloping upper walls were blue, up to the flat ceiling which was white. There wasn't any type of molding. My husband just used painter's tape for straight lines. He wanted to put molding around the ceiling in a downstairs room but gave up and hired a carpenter. Molding is a lot of work to miter at the corners, and you have to countersink the nailheads and then fill the holes. I don't know how you would do that with the nice brown molding you show there.

I love your color scheme, though!

How about using a wallpaper border instead of molding? That way when you want to repaint, you can just strip off the border!

So do a wallpaper border down the middle of the room, instead of the molding? And keep the top half blue and bottom half green, separated by the wallpaper? That is such a great idea! I've never used wallpaper before, can it come off pretty easy?

I used peel and stick wall border on my son's room. Very easy to apply with no mess and it will peel right off like a sticker. It will come off a little harder on flat painted surfaces though. We did his room in disney cars and kept the top half of the walls eggshell white which is a flat paint and the bottom half is cars red in a semi-gloss paint. We put the border between the two colors which worked out to hide the line between the two colors.

In your case I would probably paint the top half the tan/brown color that pooh is colored and the bottom half the green that you have picked out since there is not much blue in your bedding. If you can find a pooh border to match I would put that between the two colors otherwise I would go with the wood trim between the two colors.

We tried the wallpaper borders, we never could get them to stick. We gave up on that. :) Instead what we did was paint the walls pink and the ceiling blue, the girls (they shared a room at this point) thought that was great.

I do love your colors!!

The prepasted wallpapers are pretty easy. All you do is follow the directions and use the recommended products. Ask for help at a wallpaper store. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I like just the plain green walls, I'm not a fan of wallpaper borders. The color looks nice to me. Hopefully the store already told you the bumper and comforter should NOT be used when the baby is in the crib. They are just for show and pretty much a useless expense since they are not used for the baby, but they look nice. You should be removing them whenever the baby is in there, they are a suffocation risk.

I love the bedding! So Cute!

As for the paint, I would probably copy the way they decorated the room in the picture. For that picture they hired a decorator, therefore you won't need a decorator, the colors are already picked out for what looks best for that bedding.

Think also about how much light that room gets, would the blue make it too dark once the shades and the curtains go up.

Maybe it's me but, I think the cream color on the top half of the room is the way to go. Keep it simple, and use accessories to bring in more color.

As for the molding, that is a lot of work, but you could stencil a border in the blue you wanted.

There are so many different types of stencils I'm sure you could find one for the baby's room that you would like. Stenciling is really easy and if you make a mistake you can always paint over it. No big deal.

Enjoy your baby!

You want light colors on the top and darks on the bottom. otherwise it will make the room look too heavy.
your blue looks very dark. A lighter blue on top of the green might be more of the effect you are going for.

I'm sitting in a blue and green room right now. It was the nursery, now my office.

My colors are a little brighter: Friendly Frog on top (green) and Space Ranger Blue on the bottom (blue) - from the Disney paint swatches at Home Depot.

The room already had a white chair rail so that wasn't a problem. Like others said, I'd just use painters tape and a laser level and leave a line in the middle. Brown molding seems a little dark to me, personally.

So many great ideas and suggestions!

I agree with the poster who said the blue was too dark. That's what I thought too. I was hoping for a more calmer, serene blue. DH really likes blue so it will be hard to get him out of the idea of not having blue paint in the room, but maybe I can incorporate blue accents somehow.

We're doing all Classic Winnie the Pooh items for pictures, animals, lamps, etc. and there isn't too much blue going on in those items.

ETA: I had no idea there was Disney paint! So I checked out the paint, and what do you guys think of 'Thoughtful Spot' for the blue and 'Silly Old Bear' for the green (blue on top green on bottom like the picture) and a classic winnie the pooh border to separate the two colors??

http://disneyhome.com/disney_color/archives/pooh_classic/paint.html

I have heard people say not to use bumpers but I used them for both my kids (youngest is 20 months) because if I didn't they were hitting their heads on the side of the crib at night. To me that was more of a safety concern. We just made sure they were tied very tight. Comforters that came with the crib set we never used. You can hang it from a quilt rack or shelf to use as a decoration though if you choose not to use it. Things are always changing so you have to do what you feel the most comfortable in doing.

Shaw makes disney carpet as well. We are considering pooh for our family room. Check their website for a retail store near you.

I love your bedding and color ideas. One thing to think about is how long will the color sceme be cute for your son. After he's about 18 months or so, he might want something more grown up. So my suggestion would be to paint the top the blue, the bottom the green and in between do a white stripe about 5 inches wide. This is something that can be updated easily without removing wall paper.

Okay so I think we know what we're doing.

As much as I want to do the Winnie the Pooh border, DH suggests that we do a white border instead because I was going to purchase about 10-12 different Classic Winnie the Pooh pictures to hang up and it would look like Pooh Overload :lmao:

Also, Home Depot doesn't sell Disney paint anymore :confused3 I went in on Saturday and one of the workers said that had stopped selling it. But I can still view it online, so I don't know what the deal is with that. So we're going to get as close as we can to those light blues and greens that I had posted.

Thanks everyone again so much for all the suggestions!

Why don't you use a brighter blue? I like the green on the right a lot. When I painted my son's room I used bright blue and when he turned 3 he would tell me how much he loved this color because it reminded him of "Nemo". Also, just get a bunch of interior paint samples at your local store and test them against the walls to see what you like. That should make it easier to decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter